Do you have any charity direct debits? To where and why?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
Forum Member
I've just pulled my finger out and arranged three £5 DDs to:

*Crisis http://www.crisis.org.uk/ - because I believe EVERYONE should have a warm and safe place to live

*Cancer Research - because most of us will be affected by cancer at some stage

*Big Issue - because I believe everyone deserves a helping hand back into work

Please tell me yours :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't donate to charity. You never truly know where the money is going to, and a lot of the money goes to administration and people at the top. Did you know most of the founders for major charities are millionaires through the charity they established? that for me tells me enough about it not to donate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    I don't donate to charity. You never truly know where the money is going to, and a lot of the money goes to administration and people at the top. Did you know most of the founders for major charities are millionaires through the charity they established? that for me tells me enough about it not to donate.

You can't deny the good they do though. Or are you?

If everyone had your attitude, no one would donate and then what would happen? People in need would be in a much more sorry state.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I have a small direct debit to the Red Cross each month. I also recently started sponsoring a polar bear through the WWF, because when that story came out about people accidentally adopting them by texting the wrong thing it did make me smile. Got a lovely cuddly polar bear teddy in the post :)
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Red Cross, NSPCC, Dog's Trust, Cancer Research and Mind. It's a tenner a month, that's the price of a glossy magazine, a frothy coffee and a sandwich. No biggie. If it helps in any way, it's good.

I also donate books, clothes and bric-a-brac to the local hospice charity shop.

*polishes halo*

:blush:
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a few. Some animal ones, RSPB, Age Concern, and Amnesty are examples. I try and give regularly to Shelter Box, too. Why is because if I needed help, I would want people to donate, so it works both ways.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the Leicestershire and Rutland wildlife trust. I do it because I love the countryside.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only one 'Cats Protection', although I give on a regular basis to other charities via PayPal and also amazon wish lists.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't, but I do volunteer at MIND
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't give money to charities but give things that I don't need to Oxfam, Age Concern, PDSA, NSPCC and Cancer Research. With money you never know what happens to it.
    I can't be sure what happens to the money they make from selling thrift either but I suppose I'll just have to trust them.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London Fund for the Blind, the Air Ambulance and Battersea.

Because they asked and caught me on good days.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I give to the British Heart Foundation, having lost a very close relative of mine to heart disease some years ago.

I also give an annual donation to Wood Green, the animal shelter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    MacMillan Nurses.. close to my heart
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    I don't, but I do volunteer at MIND
    That's what I want to hear. Well done Beth
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have any monthly direct debits but I do donate to Make A Wish each year as I think its a nice cause, helping children who's fate is sealed to do something special.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I donate by DD to the Red Cross and I always send a cheque to the RNLI when I get my bonus at work.

I do wish the Red Cross would stop spending their money employing an agency to call and ask for more money, though. I told a woman yesterday at the very start of her call that I wouldn't be raising my donation and she persisted with her spiel. The phone call went on for five minutes and a half minutes, with her asking for more money about three times and each time I told her no. So at the end of it she said she hoped my dire financial straits improved in the future before she rang off. Nice.

I suppose employing an agency to get people to raise their donations must work, because if it didn't they'd not be doing it. But really, if the person says at the beginning that they aren't going to be raising their direct debit, surely the cold caller should finish the call and make another call, because they might get the response they want from the next person, rather than wasting their time with a person who they already know will not.

What a waste of money.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I donate to amnesty and the cats protection, but we also donate cat food, litter etc to our local cat charities, we put some aside when we buy our own, when we have a good amount, we take it down to them, they are always very grateful, and you seen it going to use.
  • Juls_HJuls_H Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have DD's for the Oxford and Bucks Air Ambulance and Dogs Trust.

I regularly purchase products from Help 4 Heroes, Breast Cancer and Royal B L Poppy appeal official sites.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Only to Médecins Sans Frontiéres. One of my oldest friends, his older brother has been involved for probably going on a decade now.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I donate to PETA every month and also give bits and bobs to various charity shops every now and then.
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay annually to RNLI,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Uncle has left his house to Cancer charity.

I give to my local Hospice. Not a DD though. My Mum donates £30 a month to an animal rescue charity, not a national one, just a small local one where every penny is used for the animals. We all give to charity shops but local ones, we have stopped giving to the big national charities. We always buy thi ngs from the British Legion Poppy Day catalogue.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amnesty International and Age UK.

Human Rights and the elderly need some love too.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I donate to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, because I am a juvenile diabetic and I want a cure.

We also donate to Oxfam because they asked, and RNLI because of a family connection.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I want to hear. Well done Beth

It's great fun :) Been there since october 2012 :)
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ulster wildlife trust. I did it because a man at the shopping centre talked me into it and it's such a small amount that I can't be bothered to cancel the direct debit.