Drug mules caught

Comments

• kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    how the hell did she get her nails done ?

I'm sure I saw on one of those Banged Up Abroad programs about some woman in a South American women's prison, that the regime isn't too bad, and that the women all look out for each other, sitting in the yard passing the time doing each other's nails and hair etc

I don't think it's as horrendous as you might imagine.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't think it is right for their families to be able to visit them? That seems pretty lacking in common humanity to me. The families have done nothing wrong, and naturally want to give what support they can to their children. How judgmental people can be.

It is very common for people to be returned home after a percentage of their sentence has been served (normally half). It works both ways round.

Mother and sister are not strictly impartial, shock. Over much of the world you do indeed have to pay for anything in the way of comfort in prison - even for a bed. 'conditions are bad' does not mean that someone is 'starving' - how awful if they were.

If anyone has a bit of compassion for people - drug smugglers, thieves, armed robbers, generally guilty people - who are imprisoned abroad, and their families, this small charity - http://www.prisonersabroad.org.uk/ - helps with modest things, like translating documents, providing medical care etc. You only have to read some of the comments here to see why they find it so very hard to fund-raise; no supermarket is going to get its staff to put on reindeer antlers to raise money for drug smugglers in Colombia. But I like it.

Regarding your last para. I reserve my compassion and concern for people who are very ill through no fault of their own or for elderly people who have no families. Not for scumbags like these who have nothing else to do but sit around in the sun, painting their nails and braiding their hair. They got off way too lightly.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people in this thread that are hating on them have taken drugs recreationally, esp coke.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many people in this thread that are hating on them have taken drugs recreationally, esp coke.

I haven't I don't even take medication or put caffeine into my body as it is a drug
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry never been a druggie and have no intention of becoming one. Have no sympathy for mules, pushers etc, particularly when caught.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Definitely not ..... Ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if you are one of them, drop us a pm as I've got some lovely ching on the go just now.

Just kidding.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are completely right to draw attention to the totally disproportionate, hysterical and in many instances utterly hypocritical demonisation of these two young women.

Placed in the hedonistic drug lifestyle environment that is Ibiza they clearly became intoxicated by the lifestyle, subject to 'behavioural contamination' and undoubtedly exercised unwise decision making in consequence. This resulted in them undertaking huge personal risks for in the grand scale of things utterly inconsequential financial reward.

That does not make them 'evil' in the way they have been widely portrayed or any more than the most peripheral and minor of operators in the global drugs industry.

Drugs are an integral part of the tourist economy: A senior Spanish police source told the Times that Ibiza's economy depends on the drug trade. "There's a real fear among the authorities here that if the drugs scene was closed down the whole place would collapse," he said. Although the island is keen to play down its image as a drug-fuelled party zone, the high number of drug-related arrests tells a different story. Already this season 35 Britons have been held for dealing or using illegal substances.

Young British holidaymakers are particularly vulnerable: More than 700,000 Britons visit the island each year, many of them eager to sample a hedonistic lifestyle in which drugs are commonplace. "Most middle-class British parents sitting at home would not like to know what their children get up to here," the Spanish police source said.

Those working in the club scene are particularly at risk: Connolly, 20, and Reid, 19, insist they were "coerced at gunpoint" to carry the drugs onto a flight to Madrid, The Independent says. The women met and became friends while working in "hospitality" in San Antonio, the island's clubbing capital. Ibiza and police sources say drug gangs see those working in the club scene as prime targets. For example, young people handing out flyers advertising clubs are initially recruited to tell clubbers where they can buy drugs. The recruitment process is taken one step further when they are promised "massive financial rewards and all-expenses-paid holidays abroad" in return for trafficking drugs.

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/54606/british-womens-cocaine-arrest-underlines-ibiza-drug-threat#ixzz2nqTaLwwk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    You are completely right to draw attention to the totally disproportionate, hysterical and in many instances utterly hypocritical demonisation of these two young women.

That does not make them 'evil' in the way they have been widely portrayed or any more than the most peripheral and minor of operators in the global drugs industry.

Two drug smugglers, caught - how should they be portrayed? :confused: They committed a crime and have been sentenced, I don't see your problem.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Two drug smugglers, caught - how should they be portrayed? :confused: They committed a crime and have been sentenced, I don't see your problem.

Proportionately.

No one has ever claimed that they were Mister (or in this case Ms) Bigs.

They were rather, absolute minnows and the reporting and commentary should have reflected this - in the grand scheme of things - insignificant status.

Intelligently and rationally discussing the issue of The Global War On Drugs would also have been a pleasant bonus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proportionately.

They were rather, absolute minnows and the reporting and commentary should have reflected this - in the grand scheme of things - insignificant status.

Intelligently and rationally discussing the issue of The Global War On Drugs would also have been a pleasant bonus.

Doesn't matter how far down the chain they were they still were committing a drug related offence. They got what they deserved, imo, and no pussy footing media report would make me feel any differently.

As long as there's people like this who want easy money the "Global War on Drugs" will continue. Perhaps harsher sentences, worldwide, would make some (those with any intelligence that is) think twice about getting involved with drugs.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how the hell did she get her nails done ?

And her make-up and eyebrows to perfectly done?
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiteflyer wrote: »
    Yes, I can see them being paid big money for their interviews and of course a book deal. Beggars belief.

Well, if Vicky Price can do it...............:p
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proportionately.

Interestingly much less interest in the less attractive women facing death in other countries. I wonder why that is?
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proportionately.

They need to be made an example of to discourage other youngsters from thinking of making easy money. Drug taking isn't harmless fun, they can kill and cause brain damage.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not me. I'm about as anti-drugs as you can get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    And her make-up and eyebrows to perfectly done?

The blonde one certainly doesn't appear to have lost much weight.

Also, she had 3 bananas in one hand in one photo I saw & in the exact same picture in another newspaper, just one :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melissa's parents are in paper today saying their sentence was too harsh and they'll spend all their twenties in prison. Good!!

I reckon they got off very lightly myself. The parents also want them to,serve their sentence in the uk. Why the hell should we put them up for nearly 7 years.
  • Dream_catcherDream_catcher Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I think the pair of them have been very lucky to get the sentence they did. If they had been in some other country they might have been facing the death penalty.
    You never hear about the grandmother who was jailed for smuggling drugs who I think was in Thailand and on death row.
    The girls looks like they have been treated pretty well in their time in prison. They were clean looking nice fresh clothes their nails done and both looked like they had put on weight. In fact I thought they looked better than they did when they were first arrested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Melissa's parents are in paper today saying their sentence was too harsh and they'll spend all their twenties in prison. Good!!

I reckon they got off very lightly myself. The parents also want them to,serve their sentence in the uk. Why the hell should we put them up for nearly 7 years.

Ah bless, boo hoo, poor mites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the pair of them have been very lucky to get the sentence they did. If they had been in some other country they might have been facing the death penalty.
    You never hear about the grandmother who was jailed for smuggling drugs who I think was in Thailand and on death row.
    The girls looks like they have been treated pretty well in their time in prison. They were clean looking nice fresh clothes their nails done and both looked like they had put on weight. In fact I thought they looked better than they did when they were first arrested.

I believe she's on death row in Bali. The grandma drug smuggler that is.
  • Pickle2012Pickle2012 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597858/Drugs-mule-Melissa-way-home-Peru-minister-gives-green-light-return-UK-jail.html

I think this is shocking!! Why should they serve the rest of their sentance here? Where is the deterrent to other young people. Oh yeah, I will take the risk cos if I get caught I wont really be punished!!!! She was not a silly little girl, she lnew exactly what she was doing. Dishusted!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pickle2012 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597858/Drugs-mule-Melissa-way-home-Peru-minister-gives-green-light-return-UK-jail.html

I think this is shocking!! Why should they serve the rest of their sentance here? Where is the deterrent to other young people. Oh yeah, I will take the risk cos if I get caught I wont really be punished!!!! She was not a silly little girl, she lnew exactly what she was doing. Dishusted!

Prisoners being repatriated to serve the rest of their sentence in their country of birth is quite common. It's not like she's being released ..
  • Pickle2012Pickle2012 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I understand what you are saying but what I mean is it isn't a deterrent to other people, they might think that its worth the risk as they wont really be punished or a couple of months in prison and then released back here where she may only be tagged and allowed out of prison or given home leave!! I think it is giving out the wrong message, especially as there are a lot of adverts on radio and tv just now about drug smuggling. I do genuinely feel sorry for her parents but i have very little sympathy for Melissa. At the end of the day she was caught smuggling cocaine, she is not a stupid girl and knew all along what she was doing
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michaella McCollum released on parole in Peru - drug mule leaves Ancon jail but could face six year wait to come home
    http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/michaella-mccollum-released-on-parole-in-peru-drug-mule-leaves-ancon-jail-but-could-face-six-year-wait-to-come-home-34590696.html