Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's literally no way that the Salute video won't be a little disappointing. I think everyone's built it up so much in their heads - even people I know who don't follow LM or girl bands love that song and are pumped for the video. Please don't mess this up too badly, SYCO.
  • Options
    AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DreC wrote: »
    Sales back up my point because sales show success or failure, they are the result of the public's interest, you may feel that Move helped them be seen differently and to a degree I may agree with you but what was the result, them having a less successful lead single. So if I was apart of their record label I would go back to the drawing board.

2 albums in and going back to the drawing board..ok if you were an Indie band but not if you are supposed to be the world's biggest girl group. It might work as an announcement mid-career, e.g. If Gaga were to announce a return to the drawing board, it might actually work.

And what do you mean by going back to the drawing board?
    Review the R n'B thing? Use lead singer sometimes,? Write a big hit? Rock/pop songs?

Tim_A wrote: »
    I know Move worked because of the reaction is got. I pay attention to the reactions their singles get and most of the time on Twitter you really have to dig through a lot of negativity to get to the positive stuff. With Move however it was the other way round, I remember plenty of comments along the lines of "Little Mix have finally put out a decent record", 'this might be the turning point for Little Mix, "i'm not even ashamed this Little Mix record is an absolute tune", "I'm a DJ and for the first time a Little Mix song is going in my set" and generally widespread praise from people who haven't really praised them before. It really was an exciting month or so whilst the song was impacting, things were really looking up.

Then Little Me came out.

Then Word Up came out.

:(

Yes, what sounded like a genuine breakthrough single was followed up by material that showed 'Move' was a one off. Hopeless.

If LM had put out 'Salute' first, then 'Move', then 'Stand Down' and avoided 'Sport Relief', there might have been a better outcome.

For some people here it's just a matter of the right promotion. Isn't it always?
  • Options
    DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    2 albums in and going back to the drawing board..ok if you were an Indie band but not if you are supposed to be the world's biggest girl group. It might work as an announcement mid-career, e.g. If Gaga were to announce a return to the drawing board, it might actually work.

Review the R n'B thing? Use lead singer sometimes,? Write a big hit? Rock/pop songs?

Read what I said a few posts back
  • Options
    TheKnewbiesTheKnewbies Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's literally no way that the Salute video won't be a little disappointing. I think everyone's built it up so much in their heads - even people I know who don't follow LM or girl bands love that song and are pumped for the video. Please don't mess this up too badly, SYCO.

An inevitable conclusion since we have all built an image in our minds of this video and no two are the same. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no surprise that Salute is the next single. It's understandable since they are going on the Salute Tour and it will give them a chance to shift a few more copies of the Salute album before this era is finished. In saying that, I think it lacks something being the last single. I think it would have had more affect if it was released sooner? It works better as an intro rather than an outro. I do wonder how the single mix will differ from the album version... or whether they'll do anything different with it at all?
  • Options
    DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For fun sake I'd like to read you guys vision for the video since everyone has different ideas, I'll post mine later.
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, what sounded like a genuine breakthrough single was followed up by material that showed 'Move' was a one off. Hopeless.

If LM had put out 'Salute' first, then 'Move', then 'Stand Down' and avoided 'Sport Relief', there might have been a better outcome.

For some people here it's just a matter of the right promotion. Isn't it always?

Can you please be put at the head of single releases? This would have been so perfect. I think 'Salute' would have been a great opening single for the campaign, I'm over the moon it's being released but it does seem like an odd choice to end a campaign when it's almost an extended album intro. I would have had Salute first and then Move too with the album following the release of Move. 'Stand Down' would be the perfect last single of the campaign imo and I'm devastated and confused as to why it's not even a standard album track. There are so many songs on this album I would love to have been a single and I'm really happy that my two favourites (Move & Salute) have been, but it does definitely feel like Little Me & Word Up hampered momentum that they definitely started with Move. I kind of hope they skip out on the ballad single for album 3 as they haven't got it right yet imo. I love ballads, but they need to be extra special if they're going to be a single, especially for a girl group for some reason.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Read what I said a few posts back

Ok, read that. It all sounds rather revisionist. When I mentioned rock music way back I don't remember anyone thinking it was a good idea.

LM could do with one of those big pop, rockesque songs that Girls Aloud used to do. There's one on Nicola Roberts album called 'Say it Out Loud' .
    Why don't LM cover that? Perrie on lead. Perrie could be a good rock singer, maybe no one has told her.

My point about the R n'B is that LM don't sound like an R n'B group. I listen to a lot of Mary J. Blige (ever since she did the stuff with U2) and Lauryn Hill. These girls have a rawer sound than anything by LM.
  • Options
    TheKnewbiesTheKnewbies Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no surprise that Salute is the next single. It's understandable since they are going on the Salute Tour and it will give them a chance to shift a few more copies of the Salute album before this era is finished. In saying that, I think it lacks something being the last single. I think it would have had more affect if it was released sooner? It works better as an intro rather than an outro. I do wonder how the single mix will differ from the album version... or whether they'll do anything different with it at all?

We fought hard on these pages especially for the US market but nobody listened. It certainly will have missed it's full impact potential.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For fun sake I'd like to read you guys vision for the video since everyone has different ideas, I'll post mine later.

Fun idea. :) I'll add mine soon, looking forwards to reading others ideas too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's been mentioned on here but I just realised both Move and Word Up! are featured on the new Now 87 coming out tomorrow! Hopefully both can be cherry picked and give them a bit of a boost, would be great it Word Up! got another week in the top 40 but I'm not optimistic.
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ideal salute video would be like a cross between the out door scenes of missy ellioy work it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm28EEeyLek crossed with destiny's child's survive video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc8bQoL-J0 with a gritty rain scene like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwKOSH1B7Oc and elements of rhythm nation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAwaNWGLM0c

I know it won't happen though. If I was a millionaire and could lend LM money this is what I would do though.
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went back to Jan. 4-6 of this thread to read all of our comments about Salute (we'd already written off Little Me). Several thought it couldn't be performed live without a big production behind it. As we saw on NLT, it went down very well in front of a black curtain with a Union Jack and 4 dancers.
  • Options
    AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went back to Jan. 4-6 of this thread to read all of our comments about Salute (we'd already written off Little Me). Several thought it couldn't be performed live without a big production behind it. As we saw on NLT, it went down very well in front of a black curtain with a Union Jack and 4 dancers.

This could be their ticket into the gay male demographic. Which is highly important for them as a girl group.

My friend is already going nuts since he saw those rehearsal videos. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could be their ticket into the gay male demographic. Which is highly important for them as a girl group.

My friend is already going nuts since he saw those rehearsal videos. :D

Last night I was thinking this song and video would be a great choice for cross dressing parodies. I'm all for parodies since those help gather more attention.
  • Options
    EpicEastendersEpicEastenders Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Word Up!' is out of the Top 40 already. Ouch.
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if they have prevented people cherry picking the song off the album? That is a big reason why HYD flopped because they didn't do that.
  • Options
    ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they have prevented people cherry picking the song off the album? That is a big reason why HYD flopped because they didn't do that.

I don't think that's necessarily true; all that strategy guarantees is a high peak. In HYD's case, it probably would've scraped top 10 but had a poor chart run regardless. Sales would've been the same in the end. See The Saturdays: they made their recent offering album only and it's still floundering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #43 Word Up!
    #83 Salute (album)

Nice surprise rise for the album, gutted for Word Up! though, I really quite enjoy the cover.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ^That's what you get with no radio support.

Don't want to jinx it, but based on the Twitter output the few times I've checked, they actually have a fairly decent chance of beating out Selena Gomez in their category for the Disney awards, which close today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    #83 Salute (album)

Nice surprise rise for the album

From 100 to 83. Nice lift! I wonder why. The price isn't reduced is it?
  • Options
    4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I'm glad Salute is the next single I do wish they would release Competition as a single at some point that song is to good to leave as an Album track :(
  • Options
    EpicEastendersEpicEastenders Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From 100 to 83. Nice lift! I wonder why. The price isn't reduced is it?

I'm sure I seen the normal version in the 'Albums Under £5' section. Not sure though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    ^That's what you get with no radio support.

Don't want to jinx it, but based on the Twitter output the few times I've checked, they actually have a fairly decent chance of beating out Selena Gomez in their category for the Disney awards, which close today.

I threw in a few votes for the cause.
    http://music.disney.com/radio-disney-music-awards/vote

I notice they only offer 3 boybands for the Best Music Group category.
This discussion has been closed.