24 S1-8 Greatest moments

Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm sure I'm not the only one doing a big 24 rewatch prior to the new season starting next month. I'm currently about to start season seven, and it's surprising how much you forget about each day on the rewatch, so many storylines and characters that appear and you have only half remembered.

So what were your favourite moments, episodes, seasons, characters etc of the original one of televisions finest shows?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the thing i respected about 24 was that the cliffhangers were never the bomb counting down and the episode ending with 1 second on the timer.

it was always the bomb going off, and the cliff hanger is holy shit what are they going to do about that.

accordingly i choose Day_6:_9:00am-10:00am
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er I will need to watch all eight series again to come up with an answer.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the thing i respected about 24 was that the cliffhangers were never the bomb counting down and the episode ending with 1 second on the timer.

it was always the bomb going off, and the cliff hanger is holy shit what are they going to do about that.

accordingly i choose Day_6:_9:00am-10:00am

This was pretty much down to the fact that minutes 2-3 of every episode were taken up by the "Previously". They couldn't end with a cliffhanger in that respect, due to not being able to show an immediate resolution.
  • plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just started watching season 2 ,on amazon prime , trying to get through all the seasons , never watched them before :o
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mostly first half of season 1.

(1) Opening of the first ep, where we first see the zooming, shrinking multiple screens.

(2) End of ep1: "I'm Mandy - fly me!". After a relatively slow episode, this was telling us we weren't in Kansas any more.

(3) Ep 6: Gains starts operating Jack by remote control.

(4) End of ep 6: Janet York meeting her father. "Daddy, daddy. Where's my daddy?" Mr York is an imposter.

(5) Ep 9 (ish): Teri murders a guard to save Kim.

(6) Ep 9: Jamey found with her wrists slashed.

(7) End of ep 24: the first silent clock.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say all of Season Five. That whole season was masterclass in TV drama.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite bit was when Kim got chased by a cougar.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah that never actually happened.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    I would say all of Season Five. That whole season was masterclass in TV drama.
    Yeah. S5 is my fave. Obv. the final ep where the Pres. is finally uncovered by the recording. Of course, the ep where you find out the Pres. is behind the whole this is the real "WTF?" moment :)

It's the only season I've got on DVD; and still haven't re-watched the second half yet!
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Series 3, the later part where the virus is loose.
  • richhoopsrichhoops Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    there's so many highlights but one little one that always sticks out for me was (not a massive spoiler but best not to read if you haven't seen season 4)
    Season four, Jack and Audrey are pinned down by gun fire and out of ammo. Previously Jack had made a call to "the only person he can trust" and just at the last second Tony returns to save the day.

Was actually a real punch the air moment!
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole of season 1 was just brilliant tv, and while I enjoyed pretty much all of 24, I always saw that first season as the pinnacle. The Teri twist was definitely a shock, as was what happened to Jack's wife.

One other really memorable moment off the top of my head was when Jack shot and killed Chappelle. The whole time you're thinking, yeah there's no way he's going to actually do it, and then he does.
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edgar's death has to be up there.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    This was pretty much down to the fact that minutes 2-3 of every episode were taken up by the "Previously". They couldn't end with a cliffhanger in that respect, due to not being able to show an immediate resolution.

?

cliff hangers are not immediately resolved. that is what a cliff hanger is.

plenty of shows start with a 'previously...' and have cliffhangers. as did 24.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most powerful moment of the entire series for me is when Jack is forced to kill Chappelle. The acting, the bleak setting and haunting soundtrack are all top notch, and it says a lot about the show that they were able to turn the death of a character who was essentially just a pompous, interfering bureaucrat into one of the saddest scenes in its history.

Some of my other memorable moments....

S1 - Jack being controlled by Gaines, rescuing family from Gaines' compound, wiping out the Drazens, and of course, Teri's death.
    S2 - George takes over the plane with the nuke, the first '25th amendment' (sadly this became something of a cliche later in the series), the Coliseum shoot-out.
    S3 - Jack breaking Salazar out of prison, the virus being released in the hotel, Tony helping Saunders to evade capture, Chase fighting the virus courier in the school.
    S4 - Air Force One shot down, Habib Marwan's many escapes, Jack's fake death and walking off into the sunset.
    S5 - David Palmer's shocking death. The nerve gas released in CTU and Edgar's death. Jack landing a jet on the freeway to secure 'the recording'. Logan preparing to commit suicide before being informed 'the recording' has been destroyed.
    S6 - I know this season is usually panned but it does have some epic moments imo. Jack killing Curtis right before a nuke detonates in LA, Jack's fight with Abu Fayed (probably the best action scene in the entire show).
    S7 - Tony back from the dead and his yo-yoing loyalties. White House taken over by African terrorists (ridiculous but fun), Bill's death.
    S8 - Logan returns, but unlike his brief, redemption-seeking return in S6 he goes back to doing what he does best; being the loathsome self-serving schemer that we all love to hate. Jack goes dark, and his brutal torturing of Renee's killer. Fooling Logan yet again with a listening device (that guy just doesn't learn).

Favourite heroes

1. Jack
    2. Chloe
    3. David Palmer
    4. George (unpopular choice probably, but I liked his sarcasm and attitude. He redeemed himself very well in the end).
    5. Tony

Honourable mentions - Bill, Aaron Pierce and Michelle.

Favourite villains

1. Logan
    2. Gaines
    3. Saunders
    4. Marwan
    5. Ramon Salazar

Dishonourable mention - Nina. I know most fans would probably place her in the top villains. Considering making her a traitor was conceived by the writers as a last minute plot twist in the first season, it is not surprising that her actions prior to this event don't really make much sense after the reveal. I also thought the character was used poorly in subsequent seasons, particularly in the third season.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    damn chappele. great call

dont have time for a 8 series rewatch, wish i did!
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    damn chappele. great call

dont have time for a 8 series rewatch, wish i did!

Same. I did one a couple of years ago and it took me 9 months lol :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kim WAS the cougar.

New 24 on Sky 1 and Sky 1 HD on May 7th.

Trailing it now - just seen it earlier on Sky News.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Kim WAS the cougar.
    Maybe now, but not at the time she wasn't. :D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole of season 5 was a masterclass in TV as already stated.

I also think the last 8 or so episodes of season 8 (after Renee was killed) is some of the best TV I have ever seen, especially as the rest of the season was pretty slow.