Mountain FM - DAB

Allen KeysAllen Keys Posts: 52
Forum Member
Hello,

Finally taken the plunge and bought a DAB radio, scanning around I have found a station called Mountain FM, it's the most unprofessional station with tacky jingles - how on earth can this be on DAB?!

Thought it was an expensive medium to broadcast on? These guys would sound rough as a 25W RSL!

Comments

• -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    It's a community station I believe so probably has a 25W TX.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »

Despite its name it's not on FM.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    There was a thread about it, it's actually a commercial licence on DAB and online.
    It is basically a continuation of Valleys radio which UTV closed on AM,
    because the AM licences were handed back it uses DAB.
    The studio is owned by the church who got a grant to launch the station.
    http://www.mountainfm.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=259&Itemid=133
    Unlike many other commercial radio stations Mountain FM is established as a social enterprise. Profits generated by Mountain FM are used to support charitable aims, benefiting some of the most deprived regions in the UK.

Mountain FM is part Festival Church Trust’s portfolio of successful community social action projects. Profits generated by Mountain FM will sustain the Ebbw Vale foodbank and enable Festival Church Trust to launch debt support, mentoring, a care line and other innovative new projects that have a direct benefit to those in crisis
    Now depends if they get enough ads to keep it on air when the grant runs out.
  • Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allen Keys wrote: »
    Hello,

Finally taken the plunge and bought a DAB radio, scanning around I have found a station called Mountain FM, it's the most unprofessional station with tacky jingles - how on earth can this be on DAB?!

Thought it was an expensive medium to broadcast on? These guys would sound rough as a 25W RSL!

I wonder why a few stations are actually still on DAB (to be honest) I have no idea how pop-up radio have lasted as they are just as unprofessional. :rolleyes:
  • spannersspanners Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allen Keys wrote: »
    Hello,

Did you think that there is a test to pass before a mux accepts your cash to broadcast on DAB? Gosh you are fresh to this aren't you??

Anyway as a counter to your point I was was in Wales and listening to Mountain fm during the evenings this past week and I was very surprised at the quality of the music they were playing. It was presenterless (which I believe it is every evening) and it did cross my mind that the paucity of adverts may affect its future but it certainly is not the worst radio station I have heard nor the worst on DAB, you can save that accolade for some of the big money stations that come our way from the Big Smoke many of which are pure crap. Elsewhere on your new DAB radio you would have seen Kiss, Real XS, BBC R1Xtra and XFM, none of which I would say are any better than Mountain fm for when I've listened, these so-called "professional stations" have been absolutely appalling.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why a few stations are actually still on DAB (to be honest) I have no idea how pop-up radio have lasted as they are just as unprofessional. :rolleyes:

Pop Up Radio is run my the multiplex operator and is used to carry various short term broadcasts. Bit useless really as there is no chance of stumbling on something interesting by just scrolling through the listings, but it does save the station list being littered with yet more non-existant stations. If they were to rename it while those broadcasts are on air it would be more useful.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Pop Up Radio is run my the multiplex operator and is used to carry various short term broadcasts. Bit useless really as there is no chance of stumbling on something interesting by just scrolling through the listings, but it does save the station list being littered with yet more non-existant stations. If they were to rename it while those broadcasts are on air it would be more useful.

Heard Pop Up Radio when I went to Birmingham on 7 April. Running at 64 kbps it appears to be a slot that could do with not being there at all particularly if not broadcasting anything./

There was a message on there that just said that this was Pop Up Radio. We're not on air at the moment keep checking the website you#ll know when we're back.

Yet the Free 80s stream on there is Mono at 80 kbps - it could go stereo if it wasn't for Pop Up Radio.

Out of curiosity, how often does it actually carry a programme?
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Heard Pop Up Radio when I went to Birmingham on 7 April. Running at 64 kbps it appears to be a slot that could do with not being there at all particularly if not broadcasting anything./

There was a message on there that just said that this was Pop Up Radio. We're not on air at the moment keep checking the website you#ll know when we're back.

Yet the Free 80s stream on there is Mono at 80 kbps - it could go stereo if it wasn't for Pop Up Radio.<snip>

I presume you heard it on the Wolverhampton multiplex - there is space on there for Free 80s to go stereo and indeed until a few months ago it was stereo. I presume that Orion have chosen for the station to be mono.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »

Yet the Free 80s stream on there is Mono at 80 kbps - it could go stereo if it wasn't for Pop Up Radio.

Out of curiosity, how often does it actually carry a programme?
    I read something the other day which said the reason it stayed on air was because it was quicker and simpler to amended a licence to cover the new service being broadcast than to get a new licence each time (i.e. the PopUp Radio licence keeps changing rather than being handed back and a new one being awarded).