Who else agrees

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
Forum Member
Don't know if there's a;ready a thread to do with this, but just this article where Matt Smith's saying series 5 is his favourite out of the ones he did. Now obviously he might be biased cos that was his first, but really agree, and always have. The whole of series 5 just felt so fresh and new and exciting, with great new characters e.g. instant love for 11 and Rory when he came along. And there were a really diverse and exciting range of stories that weren't just completely overshadowed by the arc but were obviously much more connected than RTD's arcs were. I really adore the Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, it connects dots to every single other episode in the series, most obviously in the opening of the Pandorica Opens when we see the main characters of Vincent and the Doctor, Victory of the Daleks, the Beast Below, Flesh and Stone etc. The characters seem to go through more than they often do in Dr Who as well, especially Amy/Rory. There's also less duff episodes than in other series, really the only one I cant stand is Victory of the Daleks, and the Eleventh Hour, Flesh and Stone, Vampires of Venice, Amy's Choice, Vincent and the Doctor and the finale are all spectacular. It just has the lovely interconnected fairytale stuff Moffatt does so cleverly, but without going absolutely mental with it.

I just love this series, and is probably my favourite after, series 3 and 1. Anyone else share the love?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a564675/doctor-whos-matt-smith-series-5-had-the-best-storytelling.html#~oC1rBQCRIQ28bX

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I like it most of the three.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I love the structure of Series 5 the most, particularly the two-part finale - it's a format that works well from a story-telling perspective and I hope its now brought back.

There were a fair few episodes I liked In Series 5 as well. The Vampires of Venice and The Beast Below were brilliant (I'm in a minority regarding that second one especially) and I also love the final run of episodes from Vincent onwards.

Collectively the fifth series was a very cold experience for me though. Amy wasn't a very well developed companion at the start causing irreversible damage to a later brilliant character, Rory was far too much of a Mickey-clone at this point and I didn't care for him at all, there was often little to no emotional resonance so come the finale when I'm supposed to care about the characters in well-acted death scenes (The Pandorica Opens) I really struggle to.

Series 6 improved on the emotional aspect and I felt brought the greatest variety of episodes to the table. It's format and structure let it down and the resolution was awful but the characters and episodes themselves were far superior in my opinion. I'd probably have to go for Series 6 myself, though with both series I have a lot of issues.

The fact I've not mentioned Series 7 says a lot about its collective quality though there were a fair few episodes I really enjoyed. Asylum of the Daleks, A Town Called Mercy, The Angels Take Mangattan, The Rings of Akhaten, The Crimson Horror and perhaps The Name of the Doctor as well...I thought these were very well done.

Series 1 and Series 4 are still my favourites though.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well having done the Series 1 to 7 face off thread choices, turns out 7 of my 13 episodes were from Series 5, so there we go! Mind, felt a bit mean not choosing other great episodes. C21 Who has a lot of good episode Tens and Elevens....

OP pretty much summed up my feelings. The greatest delight for me at the time was slowly coming to the realisation that I might have a new favourite Doctor.

Series 4 and 6 are in my other medals positions....for now anyway!
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those that it's the structure of Series 5 which makes it feel the most well thought out, planned and executed. Every series since then has felt like Steven Moffat making it up as he goes along.
    The format of 3 two-part stories per series at regular intervals also really works IMO.
    I was hoping Series 8 would have a similar feel to Series 5, but from what has been filmed so far, there do not seem to be any two-parters so personally I think we might be looking at more of a Series 7B feel. I'm still holding out for a two-part finale and maybe even another two-parter around episodes 8 and 9, but I get the feeling Moffat doesn't like two-part stories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I was hoping Series 8 would have a similar feel to Series 5, but from what has been filmed so far, there do not seem to be any two-parters so personally I think we might be looking at more of a Series 7B feel. I'm still holding out for a two-part finale and maybe even another two-parter around episodes 8 and 9, but I get the feeling Moffat doesn't like two-part stories.

Aah whaaaaaat?? But.. but, I LIKE 2 parters :(:(>:(
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,324
    Forum Member
    There was already a thread on this, started less than a week ago,with the same link to the same article. It's only on page 2 as we speak.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1956174

What I Find particularly strange is that some people have posted on both threads yet no-one else pointed this out
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was already a thread on this, started less than a week ago,with the same link to the same article. It's only on page 2 as we speak.

What I Find particularly strange is that some people have posted on both threads yet no-one else pointed this out

Well there's no need to criticise those of us with a short attention span and/or short-term memory loss is there. :p

(Had done the 'Face Off' thread in between and it had crystalised my opinions, is all. And I think the OP is new and it was an interesting post so fancied replying.)
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,324
    Forum Member
    Well there's no need to criticise those of us with a short attention span and/or short-term memory loss is there. :p

(Had done the 'Face Off' thread in between and it had crystalised my opinions, is all. And I think the OP is new and it was an interesting post so fancied replying.)
    I hold nothing against the OP as they were obviously unaware, which is easy to do, and was not intentionally complaining about specific posters, so apologies if it came across that way, I was just kind of thinking 'We already just had this thread, does no else remember this?'

As I said, I think if a thread's 50 pages back and ancient then fair enough for someone to start a new thread on the topic, but the original thread for this is only 6 days old and on page 2.

Anyway, someone must have acknowledged my last post because the original thread is back on page 1 now
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janus_Mars wrote: »
    Don't know if there's a;ready a thread to do with this

You mean despite your advocacy of incredibly descriptive thread titles? If I were you I'd search for "Who agrees?", "Does anyone have this opinion?", "Are my words conformant with your sensibilities?", "A message that I wrote", "Here's a post for you" and "Let communication occur in this, a message board".
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    You mean despite your advocacy of incredibly descriptive thread titles? If I were you I'd search for "Who agrees?", "Does anyone have this opinion?", "Are my words conformant with your sensibilities?", "A message that I wrote", "Here's a post for you" and "Let communication occur in this, a message board".

Well I did think about searching for "threads to do with certain topics" but I thought that might be overly specific.

Ah, didn't realise there was another thread on this, thought there might be but couldn't see it. I am fairly new on here, and also I designed it partly as an appreciation thread for series 5, it seems I share Matt Smiths opinion that it's one of the best of Modern Who so far, a brilliant series with a great Doctor, episodes and arc...
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Janus :)
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum Janus :)

• Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janus_Mars wrote: »
    Don't know if there's a;ready a thread to do with this, but just this article where Matt Smith's saying series 5 is his favourite out of the ones he did. Now obviously he might be biased cos that was his first, but really agree, and always have. The whole of series 5 just felt so fresh and new and exciting, with great new characters e.g. instant love for 11 and Rory when he came along. And there were a really diverse and exciting range of stories that weren't just completely overshadowed by the arc but were obviously much more connected than RTD's arcs were. I really adore the Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, it connects dots to every single other episode in the series, most obviously in the opening of the Pandorica Opens when we see the main characters of Vincent and the Doctor, Victory of the Daleks, the Beast Below, Flesh and Stone etc. The characters seem to go through more than they often do in Dr Who as well, especially Amy/Rory. There's also less duff episodes than in other series, really the only one I cant stand is Victory of the Daleks, and the Eleventh Hour, Flesh and Stone, Vampires of Venice, Amy's Choice, Vincent and the Doctor and the finale are all spectacular. It just has the lovely interconnected fairytale stuff Moffatt does so cleverly, but without going absolutely mental with it.

I just love this series, and is probably my favourite after, series 3 and 1. Anyone else share the love?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a564675/doctor-whos-matt-smith-series-5-had-the-best-storytelling.html#~oC1rBQCRIQ28bX

No. I think S5 is by far the weakest of all NuWho, with the exception of Vincent and the Doctor, which I love.