New: Simpsons

Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
Forum Member
Series 25 of The Simpsons starts on Sunday.
In the EPG they're calling the series "New: Simpsons".

That will be three separate stacks in my planner now then -
The Simpsons
New: The Simpsons

Thanks a lot!
>:(

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »

The Simpsons

Thanks a lot!

Repeated Monday at 7.30 as Simpsons.
  • The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Simpsons

Thanks a lot!

Life really is tough isn't it...
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Repeated Monday at 7.30 as Simpsons.
    Which will still generate a third stack!
    I'm still hoping they will change it at the last minute.
    The series is called The Simpsons, and always has been.
    Life really is tough isn't it...
    Thank you for feeling my pain...........
    :D
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trivial as it might seem to some I do understand the grievance.

It is a bad failing of the stacking software and entirely down to Sky (not the channels who label shows in the EPG data) that they have not designed it to be of actual use to the viewer as opposed to ridiculously over sensitive.

It is one thing creating stacks for New Simpsons and New The Simpsons.

What this software does - as some of us on here for years now have pointed out - is create new stacks for the likes of

New:Simpsons, New:simpsons, New:Simpson's, etc etc.

The tiniest alteration creates a new stack.

That is simply poor software because it ignoring a crucial point of creating stacks - being to bundle multiple recordings of the same programme together and not file them all over the shop via trivial alteration of spelling, capitals or colons.

Moreover something Sky could easily fix but apparently do not care to do.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is a bad failing of the stacking software and entirely down to Sky (not the channels who label shows in the EPG data) that they have not designed it to be of actual use to the viewer as opposed to ridiculously over sensitive.

What this software does - as some of us on here for years now have pointed out - is create new stacks for the likes of

That is simply poor software because it ignoring a crucial point of creating stacks - being to bundle multiple recordings of the same programme together and not file them all over the shop via trivial alteration of spelling, capitals or colons.

There are several little niggles that they fail to fix, like having the ability to pillerboxing 4:3 content, manually tune symbol rates 23000 and 29500 so that DVB-S2 TPs could be manually tuned, like the 'other' ITV HD regions to the ones on our own boxes! ect.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But at what point does the box know that New: The Simpsons is the name as New: Simpsons?

For example ITV have New: Tonight Show and CNBC have New: The Tonight Show, both 2 different programmes that shouldn't be in the same stack.

It's not something Sky should fix with the box, it's something they should fix with their own and other broadcasters EPG data.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    But at what point does the box know that New: The Simpsons is the name as New: Simpsons?

For example ITV have New: Tonight Show and CNBC have New: The Tonight Show, both 2 different programmes that shouldn't be in the same stack.

It's not something Sky should fix with the box, it's something they should fix with their own and other broadcasters EPG data.

I actually recommended on here months ago in a previous discussion on this topic that Sky issue strict guidelines to channels on EPG data and employ someone to check all input EPG data to correct errors or mishaps. I am sure Sky could afford to pay one person out of vast profits to benefit their customer base given that errors can cause missed recordings (eg if a series link goes awry).

There are loads. Do a search on Farscape (starting tomorrow on Pick). Last time I looked half the entries had none matching episode numbers in the search and EPG data - eg 7 when it should be 2.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    II am sure Sky could afford to pay one person out of vast profits to benefit their customer base given that errors can cause missed recordings (eg if a series link goes awry).

you think one person could check and verify ever piece of EPG data for every channel?
    every day, every week, every month, for ever and ever?
  • missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member

how can you say such a thing like that, you know sky believe in better, not :D
    Forum Member
    Yes, I now have three separate stacks for the same show on the same channel!
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they sorted out the series links yet. Personally I would just like a stack of (e.g.) all new Simpson episodes. Last time I tried that I ended up with a hard disk full of every Simpsons show on Sky!

Consequently I missed a fair few new episodes as I removed the series link..
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a side note, I haven't seen any new episodes in forever - it's a show that's almost completely fallen off my radar, mainly because sky never seem to show and of the past few seasons in any semblance of order.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Yes, I now have three separate stacks for the same show on the same channel!

Last time I looked I had about 5 shows (same series) where each one had three stacks, the EPG is a real mess....

In addition to that, some series have no episode numbers in the synopsis, so that'll mean searching through the pages of the EPG and the recording dates to make sure we watch the stacks/episodes in order when we get around to watching it, a right farce to be honest.

If Sky are not willing to give the customer certain control over stacks they really need to address this problem, because the stack feature is an excellent feature, but for some it ain't working.

Why they find it necessary to change the title text every few weeks beats me....
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    Have they sorted out the series links yet. Personally I would just like a stack of (e.g.) all new Simpson episodes. Last time I tried that I ended up with a hard disk full of every Simpsons show on Sky!
    Consequently I missed a fair few new episodes as I removed the series link..
    Actually I've always found no problem with that.
    Series linking the new episodes only seems to link to the other first run new episodes, and doesn't pick up any of the endless repeats.
    I've even known the series link to pick up again when new episodes start to be shown again, even after a gap of months, but I wouldn't rely on that!
    :)
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave, must have been unlucky. It was a while ago - I'll give it a bash.
    Forum Member
    Well of course what I feared would happen did happen yesterday.
    Despite still being in my planner as "New: Simpsons", yesterday's episode reverted to "New: The Simpsons" on transmission, and went into the stack with its brethren.
    I'm now presumably stuck with a "New: Simpsons" stack with only two shows in it, which will never be used again.
    Thanks again Sky!

And before people tell me that there are more important things in the world to worry about, I'm well aware of that!
    This is just annoying because it's so stupid and un-necessary!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite still being in my planner as "New: Simpsons", yesterday's episode reverted to "New: The Simpsons" on transmission, and went into the stack with its brethren.
    I'm now presumably stuck with a "New: Simpsons" stack with only two shows in it, which will never be used again.
    Thanks again Sky!

And before people tell me that there are more important things in the world to worry about, I'm well aware of that!

Surely though, they have just fixed the problem you highlighted with the name being wrong last week, be careful what you wish for :D
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    Thanks again Sky!

Yes but once you have watched and deleted them the problem is gone :)
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    The main problem I think they should fix is that the new Simpsons episodes are generally nowhere near as good as the "classics" or even many from the Noughties decade causing a loss of desire to watch and record them anyway!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I recorded two episodes last week back to back and they recorded in different stacks :D
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main problem I think they should fix is that the new Simpsons episodes are generally nowhere near as good as the "classics" or even many from the Noughties decade causing a loss of desire to watch and record them anyway!

That is nothing to do with Sky, it is FOX you should be having a go at and not Sky