Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (UCL Semi-final first leg)

Comments

• DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cahill has had a good game
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Madrid running out of ideas.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, and with all the money Roman has invested you'd expect some flair and creativity.

I'm not a fan of Mourinho -- he is a hypocrite and a bad loser. But this is a results business. In the big games, he often comes up with the goods. The team have character in abundance, when others would crumble.

It's almost as though they can't escape 'big match' mentality for games against the lesser sides. They've got a good record against their peers this season but they've dropped far too many points and matches against teams you'd expect them to beat.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    That is a few times now the Madrid wide players have not had the courage of their convictions and hesitated turning a sharp chance into a nothing.
    Madrid running out of ideas.

It's a dangerous time for Chelsea's defence, though. If they think they've done the job and relax they can easily concede.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Chelsea will go through. I expect them to win at home
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    It's almost as though they can't escape 'big match' mentality for games against the lesser sides. They've got a good record against their peers this season but they've dropped far too many points and matches against teams you'd expect them to beat.
    They're a few players short from a top quality side. That is already the case, but they'd be running away with the league with a flat track bully striker.

I have them down as favourites for the league next season. Mourinho always does well in his second term.

Tonight wasn't pretty, but it was effective. That's the only praise I can give to Chelsea. It's a results business -- if you don't deliver, you'll get sacked.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Any score draw will see Atletico through, I still see them as favourites.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    My want for Mourinho at United is always kept in check by games like that.

Horrible, negative, cynical football.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brutal game but it's a results business and it's effective for them.

Chelsea favourites to go through but a bit of caution without the away goal
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mourinho just walks off without even bothering to shake Simone's hand. What an arrogant prat he really is.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »

Yep. Decent result for Atletico. You'd have to give them the edge now, having denied Chelsea an away goal.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the tactical genius that is Jose Mourinho plays the innovative formation of 9-1 and manages to get a 0-0 draw. Rejoice!

Teams and managers like this really suck the soul out of everything I love about football. Despite the dire game, Atletico go to Stamford Bridge with a real shout at winning the tie. I do hope that they get to the final (and win the competition preferably.)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    ITV inexplicably pretending Mourinho is a plucky underdog who's had to work with limited resources and a small squad at Chelsea, when they've got the wealth of Russia behind them, and 27 players out on loan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO Chelsea needed to get away goal - even when they parked the bus in 2012, they got away goals. If Atletico score at Stamford Bridge (and I expect Chelsea to be a lot less defensive because they'll need to get a goal) then it's really game on. But after halftime I gave up on this game - it was bloody tortuous.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    That leaves the tie finely balanced. Atletico went for the crossing game to try and break the Mourinho wall but Costa isn't really known for his aerial ability and Raul Garcia had a poor night. Will be interesting to see how Chelsea set up next week as Atletico are perfectly capable of doing what Chelsea did tonight in addition to being a danger on the counter attack.
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »

On the flip side, it's tactical, calculated, pragmatic football.

And that wins you trophies in the long term.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was the most sleep-inducing game of football I've seen in a while. Shocking
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that was probably the worst game of football I've seen in a very long time.

Turgid stuff.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »

He'll get murdered at Anfield this weekend. Brendan Rodgers is slowly becoming a better manager than him, I don't care if thats hyperbole, if BR wins the league with Liverpool, given that they were 7th last year, thats as good as anything Mourinho did at Porto.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its not good for English football long term that, yes its effective, but a lot of English teams are opting this tactic, given we're supposed to be the "greatest and most exciting league in the world", its very very turgid stuff and it does the EPL no favours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Barcelona semi of years ago was it nil nil the first game in the nou camp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know if I can agree with that. It's a effective tool, but over the years we've seen its attacking football sides who've been the most successful - Barca 09-13, and this current Bayern side. While parking the bus can get you one-off results which leads to a trophy in a particular year, it's never going to be the basis of a team establishing a period of dominance in football.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Space age tactics from Jose tonight ...
    1) Park the bus.
    2) Waste as much time as is humanely possible.
    3) Have your lone striker bounce in to as many opponents as possible in the hope of winning dead ball situations.

I hope to hell they don't spoil another final playing for pen kicks.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »

Agree, 0-0 is the next best result to take to the 2nd leg if you don't win. At least we won't have to listen to bloody Townsend the Chelsea fan next week.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I was paying good money to go and watch matches like this one week after week I would soon end up spending my money elsewhere instead