Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still dont get it. She's often posed in costumes before. Is she not allowed? And still dont get "The Other Woman"?

The other Woman is a movie coming out soon, she posted the promo pic on instagram http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/the-other-woman-movie-2014-wallpaper-532aeb369f783.jpg someone was saying she's mentioning her engagement again, others calling it ironic, very stupid.
  • old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps someone can explain how this "new" instagram account is genuine??
  • Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get it......

Perrie said she can't wait to see the movie.

Wtf did she do wrong?!?!?! :/
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix's videos look dirt cheap by comparison and they're an established act. Even 'Salute' doesn't look to be that lavish given the teaser pictures (not that I'm writing it off just yet). Bit frustrating to see, since a music video can really sell a song, and I don't think any of LM's offerings bar 'Move' have been particularly exceptional.

Nobody believed me when I said they looked cheap...but it really makes me wish we could take up a collection internationally and say, "Here. We're giving you an extra $100,000. Do something with it."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    Perhaps someone can explain how this "new" instagram account is genuine??

Its legit, her brother tweeted it yesterday and she replied via the LM account.

https://twitter.com/LittleMix/status/457998283840188416
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody believed me when I said they looked cheap...but it really makes me wish we could take up a collection internationally and say, "Here. We're giving you an extra $100,000. Do something with it."

Whilst the some of their videos may look cheap I don't actually think they are cheap in the sense they don't have enough money. I think the problem lies in the way the video is produced, there's never a storyline really bar DNA and possibly WORD UP. I'm still rooting for SALUTE music video though - don't think people should right it off yet.

I'm also looking forward to the day when make a music video outside/ outside of a set.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well, their videos are kinda cheap in the sense of no special effects (edit: other than greenscreen in DNA, I guess) or traveling to locations. I haven't given up on Salute at least having a bit of a plot and looking a bit better though. They did get an established director and a lot of extras this time. I really wish they could do something along the lines of Clean Bandit's videos, though.

Syco has obviously put a huge bet down on making Ella the next big female star, been reading about that for a few months. Launching her this far away from XF takes guts.

In other girlband news, Neon Jungle's new single looks set to come in around #6 this week with the album on the way, the All Saints arena tour was cancelled due to low sales, and the Rosso Sisters EP samples are up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgnQWrYS2eo). Sorry, but I'm going to be hate-watching that attempt.
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same, I'm finding it really hard to defend her. I think ignorance is the right word for it, I don't think she's being racist. Wilful and stubborn yes though. I can't picture her picking up a book or even Marie Claire - which is ok as her main job is singing but jesus check before you post! I'm sure if the Spice Girls etc. had had social media they would have made terrible mistakes, at least in the eyes of Americans. Posting The Other Woman was especially naive. I dread to think what other gems she's going to post over the coming weeks.

BIB: I don't see why posting about a film is offensive?

I agree she should have been more careful reposting the photo in the headdress. I could understand why she did it the first time, people over here would not have any knowledge of native americans. The most people here would know is the basic stuff they learn in history and then what they see in Pocahontas. I never knew this was such an issue until things kicked off the first time. However posting it a second time when she has been told how badly it could be taken is pretty stupid and thoughtless. I don't understand what was going on in her head when she did this. I can understand her brushing off rude remarks but she needs to listen to constructive criticism. If I was one of the other girls in the group I would be annoyed at her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ^I wonder if the controversy even got back to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »
    If I was one of the other girls in the group I would be annoyed at her.

I find it ironic that a bunch of strangers are up in arms, yet her Muslim descent bandmate and Muslim fiance's family doesnt seem to be bothered, and her Caribbean descent bandmate isnt either. I cant see her ever deliberately upsetting them and they obviously havent said anything to her yet.

I have never ever seen her to be mocking any of the ethnicities that people are accusing her of "appropriating", so frankly I dont see the bad attributes people are projecting onto her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    the All Saints arena tour was cancelled due to low sales

That was a Big Reunion tour though. I believe the All Saints tour is still going ahead.

Speaking of tours, how is the US one selling? I'm not on FB so cant see anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nissl wrote: »
    ^I wonder if the controversy even got back to her.

They have 2 managers and 4 members reading the twitter account I think. The controversy probably lasted a while as it would have took a while for all the fans to catch up and find out. Somebody is bound to have seen it. I remember after Liam from 1D made that gaffe tweeting support of that show with a homophobic cast member, he went on a (drunken?) twitter tantrum about the media's reaction and swore. He then tweeted about the fact his management would tell him off for swearing. The team do pay close attention to what is tweeted by them and the reactions to these tweets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is a bunch of people make up noise on twitter/Instagram really seen as controversy these days??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also why is not a problem when Leigh post pictures that compare her to Pocahontas but when Perrie has dreadlocks and post a couple of pictures in a headress it becomes such an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it ironic that a bunch of strangers are up in arms, yet her Muslim descent bandmate and Muslim fiance's family doesnt seem to be bothered, and her Caribbean descent bandmate isnt either. I cant see her ever deliberately upsetting them and they obviously havent said anything to her yet.

I have never ever seen her to be mocking any of the ethnicities that people are accusing her of "appropriating", so frankly I dont see the bad attributes people are projecting onto her.

I do not believe she is intentionally offending people or is racist, that is not why she is irritating me. I feel annoyed as she is alienating potential fans through her thoughtless actions and potentially harming the band. If I was in the band, I would feel annoyed at her as her actions affect the whole group. Like I said, the first time was an understandable mistake that anybody outside of USA could make but doing it a second time is just idiotic.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well personally I didnt find her headdress wearing to be offensive at all. I wish I knew the circumstances though.

I guess people who dress up for Renaissance Fair and Oktoberfest over here better stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not believe she is intentionally offending people or is racist, that is not why she is irritating me. I feel annoyed as she is alienating potential fans through her thoughtless actions and potentially harming the band. If I was in the band, I would feel annoyed at her as her actions affect the whole group. Like I said, the first time was an understandable mistake that anybody outside of USA could make but doing it a second time is just idiotic.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

The only people who seem to be annoyed are directioners who weren't and would never be fans of LM any way. The general public won't have even heard about all this little fuss - I don't thinK it's affecting the band in any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avon942 wrote: »
    Also why is not a problem when Leigh post pictures that compare her to Pocahontas but when Perrie has dreadlocks and post a couple of pictures in a headress it becomes such an issue.

I agree that it is stupid that there is different rules for different members. I suspect sadly it is due to Perrie being engaged to Zayn and being white. If Leigh Anne had been told off though for the Pocahontas picture and then reposted it again despite the reaction I would be critical of her to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that it is stupid that there is different rules for different members. I suspect sadly it is due to Perrie being engaged to Zayn and being white. If Leigh Anne had been told off though for the Pocahontas picture and then reposted it again despite the reaction I would be critical of her to.

When was Perrie 'told off' for posting a picture in a head dress and by whom?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was Perrie 'told off' for posting a picture in a head dress and by whom?

The same insular Twitter, Tumblr and IG community that's abuzz now apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all tiresome now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well personally I didnt find her headdress wearing to be offensive at all. I wish I knew the circumstances though.

I guess people who dress up for Renaissance Fair and Oktoberfest over here better stop.

I didn't think it was offensive either and the first time people got upset I thought they were overreacting. I am Irish but I don't get offended when I see people outside of Ireland doing Irish dancing or anything else Irish. However, when she saw people getting offended the first time she should have been more careful, even if she disagreed with them. That's all I am going to say on the matter now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only people who seem to be annoyed are directioners who weren't and would never be fans of LM any way. The general public won't have even heard about all this little fuss - I don't thinK it's affecting the band in any way.

I hope you're right. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think it was offensive either and the first time people got upset I thought they were overreacting. I am Irish but I don't get offended when I see people outside of Ireland doing Irish dancing or anything else Irish. However, when she saw people getting offended the first time she should have been more careful, even if she disagreed with them. That's all I am going to say on the matter now.

Fair enough, I see your point. Well, didnt someone say earlier a little controversy wouldnt hurt publicity! Frankly I think when the vid comes out people will drop all this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing like abit of controversy to get this forum buzzing again, I think we've had the same amount of posts in the last 3 hours than the past day.
This discussion has been closed.