Bottle crystal radio

Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The makers forum "Instructables" are promoting a crystal radio incorporating a bottle today !

The bottle is used as a former for a coil.

The project can be viewed at :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bottle-Radio/

There are a few minor typos in the text, but the general idea can still be grasped.

There are several useful concepts in the circuitry, such as a decent earth and aerial, the option of a tuned indoor frame aerial, and a choice between using an earphone or a mini amplifier.

If I was making one, I'd first give some thought to how I'd mount the reel of coil wire horizontally, and also support the bottle horizontally to allow one hand to control the feeding of the wire onto the bottle.... maybe I'd use something other than a bottle, such as an empty plastic jar...

If you have a bored technophobe at home on Easter holidays, there could STILL be time to get one assembled before the weekend !

As with all Instructables, there are also some interesting "related" projects shown on the right.

Comments

• LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff. Amazes me how people find out that this works!
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff. Amazes me how people find out that this works!

The thing that I admired about this and many other Instrucables projects is just how versatile and imaginative that young people can be ! True multi-taskers. They're too often lambasted as being idle, lazy, only interested in passive rather than active activities, yet that is far from the truth.

Whoever this person is has demonstrated skills at electronics, woodwork, art and crafts, assembly.

The English isn't perfect in the text, possibly because English isn't their first language and it has been through Google Translate, but the photography and the concept are excellent !

Any young person near Maplins etc this holiday should be able to build one !