Options

So how do you now fix Man United?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    It would surely benefit United if the Glazers pulled out. There must be many billionaires and corporations in the Middle East and Asia who can't wait to get their hands on United, although I appreciate that sometimes it's better sticking with the devil you know.

I found it suprising that Abu Dhabi bought Man City and Qatar bought PSG, surely Man U would have been a better choice for them?

Perhaps the Saudis (Burma was even suggested) could buy Man U or some multi-billionaire, any of them Man U Fans? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you think they need to spend 3billion pound to be a successful team?

They need to match City and Chelsea's spending, if not more, both of which have spend around £200 million a year since their takeovers...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a fine balance between much more and 3 billion

Well I came up with the £3billion in this thread about the club:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952748&highlight=
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »

Every one one of your posts in this thread has been full of complete and utter nonsense. Please, stop.
  • Options
    FireincairoFireincairo Posts: 113
    Forum Member

its just as ridiculous figure then as it is now
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    I found it suprising that Abu Dhabi bought Man City and Qatar bought PSG, surely Man U would have been a better choice for them?

Perhaps the Saudis (Burma was even suggested) could buy Man U or some multi-billionaire, any of them Man U Fans? :confused:
    Yes, as you say it's effectively the sovereign wealth funds that bought those two clubs. There's still a lot of money sloshing about in the world. I read today that little Angola has a $5bn wealth fund based on oil money. If the managers of these lesser known funds think that football could help in some way, we could end up with some very unexpected owners of clubs in the future.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I
    Well It is more to do with Man U's relative decline compared to Chelsea and Man City since RM bought Chelsea FC, Fergie managed to progress simply because of how good he his, but there are very few like him around they don't come cheap.

In your first sentence you say we have been in relative decline since Chelsea were bought.

In your second sentence you say we progressed because of Fergie

Which one is it?

Actually you've managed to say it all in one sentence.

Look at the league tables over recent years and explain the decline to me. No club wins the title every year but we have come closer than any and certainly closer than either City or Chelsea to doing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its just as ridiculous figure then as it is now

Why?

What would be a better figure? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Yes, as you say it's effectively the sovereign wealth funds that bought those two clubs. There's still a lot of money sloshing about in the world. I read today that little Angola has a $5bn wealth fund based on oil money. If the managers of these lesser known funds think that football could help in some way, we could end up with some very unexpected owners of clubs in the future.

I think you are talking about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundo_Soberano_de_Angola

I could see SAMA Foreign Holdings of Saudi Arabia ($675 Billion of assets), China Investment Corporation of China ($568 Billion of assets) and the Kuwait Investment Authority of Kuiwait ($410 Billion of assets) might be interested as well, the first one was rumoured to be buying Mancester United while the second one was said to be interested in Liverpool, Qatar and Burma have also been linked to Manchester United...
  • Options
    FireincairoFireincairo Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Why?

What would be a better figure? :confused:

20 QUADRUPLE ZILLION POUNDS

thats what is needed to turn a team of league champions into a team capable of scoring a goal.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be real, it's not the players that caused the decline but the managers awful tactics and style of play.

They obviously have to replace the players leaving and maybe get a few more on top. With the right manager they'll be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's be real, it's not the players that caused the decline but the managers awful tactics and style of play.

They obviously have to replace the players leaving and maybe get a few more on top. With the right manager they'll be fine.

If Moyes had settled on a formation, a style of play, some tactics and a preferred line up and then come out and said "The players simply aren't good enough for what i want to do IMO, we need changes" , "they have given up and aren't trying, they have to go" then thats one thing. I would still question it, but i would at least say that could see what it was based on.

The fact is he had none of the above. He didn't have a formation, he didn't have a style of play that suited us, he didn't pick the same team twice in 50 odd games and we were in May not one step closer to knowing what his plans were than in July, means i am reluctant to have a go at the players who have won so much, ahead of the man who created the circumstances in the first place and appeared clueless.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you look at his tenure by the standard of any manager of a top club across Europe his ineptitude was absolutely startling. Not even a glimmer of a team looking like making progress, just a steady descent into mediocrity which I am certain would have continued had he remained.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When you look at his tenure by the standard of any manager of a top club across Europe his ineptitude was absolutely startling. Not even a glimmer of a team looking like making progress, just a steady descent into mediocrity which I am certain would have continued had he remained.

I thought he was the wrong man for the job when appointed but i did think he was a very competent manager and did an excellent job at Everton. I saw not one of the qualities he undoubtedly brought to Everton on display in the last 10 months. Not one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I thought he was the wrong man for the job when appointed but i did think he was a very competent manager and did an excellent job at Everton. I saw not one of the qualities he undoubtedly brought to Everton on display in the last 10 months. Not one.

Thats the big surprise. I would at least have thought he would bring enough competence and a steady hand to maintain you in the top four, even if he didn't look like scaling greater heights either this season or in future years.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats the big surprise. I would at least have thought he would bring enough competence and a steady hand to maintain you in the top four, even if he didn't look like scaling greater heights either this season or in future years.

Agreed.

One of the things he always got praise for at Everton was for having them well-drilled, organised and difficult to beat, whilst being able to work with the squad he had because of the limited budget he was working with. Yet at United, there was absolutely no sign of any of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is actually on paper with the right formation you cloud have a side capable of beating anyone really...
    De Gea
    Evra
    Vidic Ferdinand
    Rafael
    Carrick Fellaini

Mata
    Rooney
    Van Persie
    Kagawa

It's a very attacking formation, but it could work.... And you could switch people about, Wellbeck and Hernandez could play in that front three, Adnan could swap with Mata...Jones could play anywhere on the pitch...

It's not the abysmal team that people keep trying to make out,
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those four wont be much use playing in the stands.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    The thing is actually on paper with the right formation you cloud have a side capable of beating anyone really...
    De Gea
    Evra
    Vidic Ferdinand
    Rafael
    Carrick Fellaini

Mata
    Rooney
    Van Persie
    Kagawa

It's a very attacking formation, but it could work.... And you could switch people about, Wellbeck and Hernandez could play in that front three, Adnan could swap with Mata...Jones could play anywhere on the pitch...

It's not the abysmal team that people keep trying to make out,

Kagawa doesn't like playing outwide. Putting him on the corner flag won't do much good. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of width there CC...
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those players can keep an eye on the corner flags in case any priests try to take them as souvenirs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, it was my attempt at the formatting, I didn't quite envisage them that wide!
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I would certainly have a new broom sweeps clean policy. Forget the class of 92. Move on and try and forget Ferguson.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first thing I would do is to interview all of the players on their own and get them to sign a written undertaking to work as hard as they can for whoever the new manager is. Individual performances to be reviewed once a month.
  • Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surpised that Hiddink wasn't appointed a few months ago when it would still have been possible to qualify for the CL, with LvG taking over from him after the WC. Hiddink's the next Holland manager and would have been in regular contact with LvG anyway.

It seems that they're taking a risk without CL footy in terms of signings for the sake of a lower payout to Moyes.

Same goes for Spuds, by the way. Much better solution than Sherwood