Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

Where is the serious news FFS ?

On Radio 4 where it's always been. It was obvious as soon as this story broke that 5 live would cover it.
  • Options
    SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    Another BBC Manchester production on again rather than 5 live.

No wonder so many Londoners are switching to LBC

It must be quite a shock for Londoners to realise they are not the centre of the universe mustn't it?
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    On Radio 4 where it's always been. It was obvious as soon as this story broke that 5 live would cover it.

What story?

Rumours are not a news story, certainly not a headline. This "story" should be on something like Monday Night Club, not across all hours of the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    What story?

Rumours are not a news story, certainly not a headline. This "story" should be on something like Monday Night Club, not across all hours of the day.

Oops. I hadn't heard the "actual" story. I last listened in at 6am when it was a rumour. My bad.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »

God help Five Live listeners when Arsene hangs his overcoat up! It will be another Mandela Fest. It will prob push the boat out and use Pughatch rather than the painful Warburton following today'sshambles. I am beginning to think they are churning out crap on purpose so as to shut down easily and not trouble more than a hand full of day time listeners.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    SJM978 wrote: »
    It must be quite a shock for Londoners to realise they are not the centre of the universe mustn't it?

There was a London bias when they broadcast from London, but it seems the bias towards Manchester is worse.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    God help Five Live listeners when Arsene hangs his overcoat up! It will be another Mandela Fest. It will prob push the boat out and use Pughatch rather than the painful Warburton following today'sshambles. I am beginning to think they are churning out crap on purpose so as to shut down easily and not trouble more than a hand full of day time listeners.

Wenger is a manager of a London club, so it will probably just get a mention in the sports news.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're now back to another of the BBC's favourites, Ricky Gervais :o
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On good Friday they had talking heads in and the presenter read out a anonymous text massage from a listener stating that David Moyes would be going this Weekend , Two things struck me about it where Why read it out in the first place and ask opinions about a one sentence text, and second it never mentioned the Everton game just that he was going this weekend and it was written as a statement of fact..

Along with the pundits I thought it was BS but somebody was in the know..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    We're now back to another of the BBC's favourites, Ricky Gervais :o

Talented but just as equally obnoxious......:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that Campbell's doing yet another programme about adoption. He's really milked that subject.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I see that Campbell's doing yet another programme about adoption. He's really milked that subject.

Campbell is tedious, obnoxious and boring,
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talented but just as equally obnoxious......:)

And so with the writer of Jamaica inn in the studio with us on bacon today...what did you think of it Boyd Hilton?
    I thought it immeasurably dreary crap Richard and wondered why the fee is spent on this and not more wonder ful ideas like dredging up the poxy generation game in the bleeding 21st century......

Err no course he didn't say that.....I thought it was really good! Boyd thinks everything is really good! :(

Ps I wondered why a well paid executive gets sacked was the lead BBC story on tv as well.....crisis in Ukraine , 186 girl's kidnapped in Africa etc... yet lead story is bloke gets fired from well paid job....if Justin king gets sacked from Sainsbury would it be wall to wall? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At least it is something he knows about, having been adopted.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know, Fancy trying to raise awareness of kids needing a stable loving home. What an utter bastard.

Much like a few posters on this thread then.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err no course he didn't say that.....I thought it was really good! Boyd thinks everything is really good!

I heard the utter silence and jaw dropping from Bacon and Hilton when the female newspaper TV reviewer slated Ricky Gervais new serious Derek, thats something Boyd Hilton didn't like.....:).
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard the utter silence and jaw dropping from Bacon and Hilton when the female newspaper TV reviewer slated Ricky Gervais new serious Derek, thats something Boyd Hilton didn't like.....:).

Well done yes forgot that it was hilarious & think they were grateful for the news arriving and digging them out of a hole :D
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member

Personally I can listen to Campbell unlike most of the day time lot who are weak an poor journalists to boot. Least Campbell is an Anglicised Scot with knowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I can listen to Campbell unlike most of the day time lot who are weak an poor journalists to boot. Least Campbell is an Anglicised Scot with knowledge.

Pound for pound each Lbc presenter superior to the Five one. Shame. Ferrari v Campbell O'brien v Misery Julia Hartley Brewer v Bacon Clive Bull
    v non football Duncan ? v Nolan. Game over.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pound for pound each Lbc presenter superior to the Five one. Shame. Ferrari v Campbell O'brien v Misery Julia Hartley Brewer v Bacon Clive Bull
    v non football Duncan ? v Nolan. Game over.

Been looking at LBC chit chat site here. Some of the contributors are not quite so dewy eyed about that station as you. Each to his/her own.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What sacrilege saying she didn't like Ricky Gervais's programme :o:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Been looking at LBC chit chat site here. Some of the contributors are not quite so dewy eyed about that station as you. Each to his/her own.

However there seems to be a paucity of Lbc contributors crying out for Campbell, Derbyshire, Bacon and Nolan to be signed up as replacements... Rajar, albeit limited, will be inyeresting.
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Bacon's podcast of his show is often interesting. It was quite funny to hear him slagging of the top of the hour jingles and then saying that daily reports from an ongoing court-case are not exactly the most interesting radio and we'd be better waiting for the case to conclude and then discuss it
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    However there seems to be a paucity of Lbc contributors crying out for Campbell, Derbyshire, Bacon and Nolan to be signed up as replacements... Rajar, albeit limited, will be inyeresting.

I think this is the very nature of station-specific threads on radio forums such as Digital Spy though.

I'm a regular poster on the talkSPORT Chat thread and much like this thread, a fair amount of the contributions on there come from a small-ish number of regular posters who are consistently negative about 80-90 per cent of the station's output with 10-20 per cent of it widely receiving praise from the same posters.

When it comes to other stations, certain posters will claim that Radio 5 Live/LBC/whoever is a better listen, but typically won't go into specific about the shows/presenters they like on those stations. I dare say if push came to shove few listeners would swap sports discussion for rolling news/chat or vice versa. It seems to me to be much the same when talkSPORT and LBC are contrasted (either favourably or negatively) to Radio 5 Live on here - views are expressed in general terms but are rarely ever expanded on. Ultimately I think a lot of listeners stick pretty loyally to their "station of choice," tuning in for their likes in spite of their dislikes.

Side note - a consistent grumble from me. There's been some pretty important Friday night Championship football matches in recent weeks. A few weeks ago Leicester City hosted Sheffield Wednesday, a home win putting the Foxes on the verge of Premier League promotion. Last Friday, Doncaster faced Derby with it being possible for Burnley to be promoted if Derby dropped points. Tonight, play-off chasing Brighton hosted Yeovil with the visitors set to go down if they lost.

What did Radio 5 Live, national radio commentary rights holders to the Football League, choose to give us? Boring studio-based discussion about the Premier League, replicating what is available elsewhere. For me, opting to do this ahead of key commentaries from the Football League is no way near good enough from a public service broadcaster that holds the rights to these games - particularly when, due to rugby union commentaries taking precedence on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (I don't have a problem with this incidentally), they weren't able to broadcast the latter two fixtures on that platform. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way about this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is the very nature of station-specific threads on radio forums such as Digital Spy though.

I'm a regular poster on the talkSPORT Chat thread and much like this thread, a fair amount of the contributions on there come from a small-ish number of regular posters who are consistently negative about 80-90 per cent of the station's output with 10-20 per cent of it widely receiving praise from the same posters.

When it comes to other stations, certain posters will claim that Radio 5 Live/LBC/whoever is a better listen, but typically won't go into specific about the shows/presenters they like on those stations. I dare say if push came to shove few listeners would swap sports discussion for rolling news/chat or vice versa. It seems to me to be much the same when talkSPORT and LBC are contrasted (either favourably or negatively) to Radio 5 Live on here - views are expressed in general terms but are rarely ever expanded on. Ultimately I think a lot of listeners stick pretty loyally to their "station of choice," tuning in for their likes in spite of their dislikes.

Side note - a consistent grumble from me. There's been some pretty important Friday night Championship football matches in recent weeks. A few weeks ago Leicester City hosted Sheffield Wednesday, a home win putting the Foxes on the verge of Premier League promotion. Last Friday, Doncaster faced Derby with it being possible for Burnley to be promoted if Derby dropped points. Tonight, play-off chasing Brighton hosted Yeovil with the visitors set to go down if they lost.

What did Radio 5 Live, national radio commentary rights holders to the Football League, choose to give us? Boring studio-based discussion about the Premier League, replicating what is available elsewhere. For me, opting to do this ahead of key commentaries from the Football League is no way near good enough from a public service broadcaster that holds the rights to these games - particularly when, due to rugby union commentaries taking precedence on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (I don't have a problem with this incidentally), they weren't able to broadcast the latter two fixtures on that platform. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way about this.

Here goes. In my opinion good Five programmes: Morning Reports; Wake Up to Money; Five Live Investigates; Pienaar's Politics; Drive and football coverage (excl. Wright, Savage and McNamara). There.
    Poor: Burdon/Campbell; Derbyshire; Bacon and Nolan and repeats of already horrible programmes (mainly Misery) on Sunday evenings. As I say, Rajar should highlight national Lbc's impact on Five, and Five's management's lack of an appropriate response.
This discussion has been closed.