Options

Playing guitar

Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of my (few) regrets is that I never learnt to play guitar. I'm 26 years old and I often wonder if it's too late to pick up and learn and get to some level of decent playing.

I listen to a lot of guitar based music and I get fustrated and thing 'geez, I'd LOVE to play like that' *lol* even to just play for the fun of it would be great... if only, eh?

Is anyone like me?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    26 is not too late to pick up the guitar.
    Maybe you'll never reach the heady heights of super-stardom, but its not too late to learn.
    Playing the guitar is great fun and very therapeutic too.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Definitely not too late to start to learn.

I didn't get myself a guitar until my late 20s, even then I didn't really take learning it that seriously until I was over 30, but I've now been playing for over 10 years and absolutely love it - I might never be in a band or anything like that but it's still worth it as it's so enjoyable to do.

And besides, many people do carry on playing guitar in bands etc aged 30 and 40+, they might not be getting record deals etc but then I'm sure the vast majority of guitar players never do anyway.

Get yourself an acoustic for about £100 and a few teach yourself guitar books/DVDs to start with, what have you got to lose? :D
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to night school a few years ago to brush up on the basics as I hadn't played for a while.

The guy sat next to me was in his 70's, so nope, nowhere near too late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's not too late. I didn't pick up a guitar until I was well into my thirties, and while I'll never be good, I enjoy it tremendously - you'd be amazed at how many of your favourite songs are playable by even someone with very limited skill.

A couple of tips:
    Buy the best quality instrument you can afford*.
    Take lessons.

*Okay, just because you might be able to afford it, spending £1000-plus on a professional level guitar might not be the wisest thing for a beginner, but if you've always really really wanted that Gibson Les Paul Custom, then go for it!
  • Options
    Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

I have no desire to reach super-stardom or be in a band :p I would just love to have the ability to play for my own enjoyment and perhaps jam now and again with other people, the outlet is what I'm after as well. Guitar playing is a skill and talent I greatly admire, across a lot of genres, and have done for the long long time.

So what's better, night school or private tuition? Books or DVDs for practicing at home?

Any recs for what guitar I could start with?
    *Okay, just because you might be able to afford it, spending £1000-plus on a professional level guitar might not be the wisest thing for a beginner, but if you've always really really wanted that Gibson Les Paul Custom, then go for it!

*lol* maybe one day when I grow up and I've comitted myself to playing and come a long long way I might just treat myself to a Joe Perry Custom :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing guitar since I could look over the top of one. Unless you have some sort of debilitating condition which prevents you from moving your fingers normally, it doesn't make a huge difference when you start playing, whether that's 5 or 50.

The basics of guitar playing are extremely simple. With perseverance, in 6-8 weeks, you'll be able to play along with most songs you hear on the radio.

I'm going to have to disagree with Randy. :p Sorry. Unless you're rolling in cash, ALWAYS buy the cheapest instrument that stays in tune. You're going to be shit at first, so I can't imagine anything more frustrating than buying a £1500 guitar and realising you can't do anything with it. First make sure you've got the taste for playing the guitar. Besides, with electric guitars, your tone will come primarily from your amp, not your guitar. So as tempting as it is to go after that sexy Gibson Les Paul, buy the Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100 first. ;) In the long run, you'll be happier.

Lessons are good, but they can be expensive. In the age of the internet, you don't really need them unless you want to, say, learn perfect classical technique. There are lots of free resources everywhere - youtube and ultimate-guitar.com should be your first stops.

http://www.youtube.com/user/justinsandercoe?blend=2&ob=4
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I feel exactly the same way about learning the piano. I really regret not doing it when I was younger, and Im 20 now, and I keep thinking it's too late. I know it's not, but I just think it would have been so much easier to learn as a child.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I would definitely recommend when buying your first guitar is to get it second-hand. A good quality second-hand guitar will play as well as new (if not better), and will not depreciate in value, so you can upgrade in the future should you choose so. The biggest advantage of buying brand new is that you get to choose exactly what you want, but as you haven't played yet you don't know what will suit you.

As Serotonin said, there are plenty of great resources on the internet, so they are worth giving a try first. If you find it difficult to pick it up that way then a few months of lessons to pick up the basics would probably be enough for you to continue learning by yourself.

Go for it. Even if you don't take to it (which is unlikely), you won't regret it as much as not trying it.