Options

Janet Jackson - Appreciation Thread

xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
Forum Member
I have been listening to Janet's music lately and forgot how good her albums and songs were. The Velvet Rope, All for you and Rhythm Nation 1814 are my favourite albums from her. Together again and Doesn't really matter are my favourite songs by her.

Comments

• Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Velvet Rope is such a classic
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Been a huge fan since 1986 - a shame she's no longer as successful as she was between 86-01 - not so much in the UK. Her last 3 albums have largely ignored since Nipplegate - Damita Jo is an amazing album but janet. remains my favourite
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love Janet!

The Velvet Rope, Janet. and Rhythm Nation are the best! :)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    All For You is a great song :)
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet Jackson is a superstar icon FACT.

I'm soo excited about her forthcoming 2011 world tour, it should be amazing. Does anyone have any idea as to what part of the year she will be here in the UK?
  • Options
    Vardon78Vardon78 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    umr3000 wrote: »
    Janet Jackson is a superstar icon FACT.

I'm soo excited about her forthcoming 2011 world tour, it should be amazing. Does anyone have any idea as to what part of the year she will be here in the UK?

Janet's official website has just announced that she will be playing in London at the Royal Albert Hall on the 30th of June, 2nd and 3rd of July. Other European dates announced (so far) are:

Paris: 26th,27th, 28th June - Olympia
    Monte Carlo: 8th, 9th July - Sporting Club
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge fan since Control back in the 80s!

Fav tracks are:
    Thats the Way Love Goes
    Miss You Much
    Someday is Tonight
    The Pleasure Principal
    Nasty
    When I think of You

Albums
    Rythm Nation
    Control
    Janet

Loads more, really brilliant, better, way better IMO than her brother's output between 1986 to 2000.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leosw4 wrote: »
    Huge fan since Control back in the 80s!

Fav tracks are:
    Thats the Way Love Goes
    Miss You Much
    Someday is Tonight
    The Pleasure Principal
    Nasty
    When I think of You

Albums
    Rythm Nation
    Control
    Janet

Loads more, really brilliant, better, way better IMO than her brother's output between 1986 to 2000.

i think that too actually! i find MJ very overrated with a lot of his 80's output! Control and Rhythm Nation were much better albums conceptually!!!!! shame she's gone so far downhill though!

I mean Damita Jo is an okay album and all but doesn't have HUGE appeal for me really, after All For You nothing was the same again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think that too actually! i find MJ very overrated with a lot of his 80's output! Control and Rhythm Nation were much better albums conceptually!!!!! shame she's gone so far downhill though!

I mean Damita Jo is an okay album and all but doesn't have HUGE appeal for me really, after All For You nothing was the same again!

Damita Jo is in my top 3 Janet albums - a beautiful collection of uptempo and love songs (Warmth is a bit sordid - a song about blowjobs "feel the warmth of my mouth" and her saying "Wait...not yet" but it sounds like she has a mouthful so to speak)
    The first half of Discipline is classic Janet IMO - 2Nite is a stonker - check it out on youtube
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Although i am not a hugh fan i do like her her song funny how times flies
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a terrific dancer.
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet Jackson is an amazing performer. Superstars like Britney, Justin and Usher have all been inspired by her and continue to do so even today.

Janet just has a vibe about her... it's undescribable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Although i am not a hugh fan i do like her her song funny how times flies

A rather obscure (but good) choice for a casual fan
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love Janet!

'janet.' is my most listened to Janet album. If, This Time and Throb are all favourites of mine. Dicipline is also really good and vastly underated :cry:

I'm really hoping to see her in June - i'm just waiting for the prices to be released :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I just remembered I had Feedback on my ipod. That was a great single but it seemed to be underrated. I don't ever remember seeing the video on music channels. Did it even chart?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    out of all the songs the past few albums i must say Feedback is a good one, but i have heard a lot of songs and i don't necessarily FEEL them as much as I want to from Discipline!

The thing is she hasn't really been out there pushing her music etc across Europe i feel! it's mainly the US that gets everything going on.

Hopefully with her UK tour and everything it'll build more of a momentum and awareness etc. and then by the time she releases her next album there'll be more awareness of her!

I do feel she's been very overlook. She's the equivalent of Kylie in the US what she is in the UK. Kylie needs to get herself out there more in the US with her tour and vice versa (both completely different artists though of course!)

I want Janet to come out with an album kinda like what Nicole Scherzinger did with Poison (doesn't have to be RedOne of course) but i really would love something much bigger and dancey but also have a message in there too. She's good at that!
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    out of all the songs the past few albums i must say Feedback is a good one, but i have heard a lot of songs and i don't necessarily FEEL them as much as I want to from Discipline!

The thing is she hasn't really been out there pushing her music etc across Europe i feel! it's mainly the US that gets everything going on.

Hopefully with her UK tour and everything it'll build more of a momentum and awareness etc. and then by the time she releases her next album there'll be more awareness of her!

I do feel she's been very overlook. She's the equivalent of Kylie in the US what she is in the UK. Kylie needs to get herself out there more in the US with her tour and vice versa (both completely different artists though of course!)

I want Janet to come out with an album kinda like what Nicole Scherzinger did with Poison (doesn't have to be RedOne of course) but i really would love something much bigger and dancey but also have a message in there too. She's good at that!

Where are you on Celeb Brother? Enter the house thread!
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, when do the Albert Hall tickets go on sale? I love Janet! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Ooh, when do the Albert Hall tickets go on sale? I love Janet! :)

Just thought I'd bump this thread as it looks like tickets for Janet's Royal Albert Hall Concert dates (30th June, 2 & 3rd July) will go on sale Saturday, 19th Feb at 9AM according to this website:

http://www.getmein.com/tickets/janet-jackson-tickets/london-196627.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vardon78 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd bump this thread as it looks like tickets for Janet's Royal Albert Hall Concert dates (30th June, 2 & 3rd July) will go on sale Saturday, 19th Feb at 9AM according to this website:

http://www.getmein.com/tickets/janet-jackson-tickets/london-196627.html

Just wanted to say that the on sale date on Get Me In ticket website has been amended to Saturday, 5th March at 9AM for the London dates. Still no official word from Ticketmaster UK or Janet's official website which will also be selling concert tickets.

http://www.getmein.com/rock-and-pop/janet-jackson-tickets.html
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I wish they would pull their fingers out regarding these tickets! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On a Janet kick again the last 2 days....a shame the average Brit doesn't have a clue about her music. A friend at work who is 30 only knew Together Again and All For You.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    On a Janet kick again the last 2 days....a shame the average Brit doesn't have a clue about her music. A friend at work who is 30 only knew Together Again and All For You.

The average Brit probably doesn't even know that she has just released a book called True You.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-You-Journey-Finding-Yourself/dp/1416587241/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297860186&sr=8-1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vardon78 wrote: »
    The average Brit probably doesn't even know that she has just released a book called True You.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-You-Journey-Finding-Yourself/dp/1416587241/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297860186&sr=8-1

Mine is on the way from the states
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tickets for Janet's UK shows go onsale Friday 4th March at 8AM.