Samsung SMT - S7800 Freesat PVR 1080P

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    And now back as FTA, unscrambled.

Hi, as you say, it is FTA again, although the scrambled flag is still set, so it may not show up on receivers that reject channels with the flag set..

Regards, Ray..
  • Makum101Makum101 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Cancelled Sky in April (2012), and after a bad experience with a bush HD Freesat recorder I bought the Samsung from Richer Sounds for £189 thinking a premium brand would eradicate the horrendous problems i had with the Bush.

Apart from a few things that are better than Sky such as being able to watch a third Chanel while recording two others if on the same transponder and recordings ending at the end not before i have been left disappointed with the overall performance of this receiver.

I found the Samsung / Freesat EPG would continually miss whole chunks of data - Sometimes whole days at a time. I also lost my library and had to constantly reboot the box to recover it, as well as experiencing many of the other issues reported in this thread.

Today Sky rang me and offered me 6 months free HD Sub on the entertainment package on two boxes (i already possess) and then a further 6 months half price with no HD or multiroom charge at all over a 12 month contract, so I have returned to my sky HD box's.

Its sad that the Freesat platform has problems. Id really like to see it take off but I do feel that manufacturers are not too bothered about it and inherent problems continue to be ignored by the likes of Samsung.

I'm now planning to purchase a second dish and point it at one of the other satellites then use my Samsung in non Freesat mode on that.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makum101 wrote: »
    I found the Samsung / Freesat EPG would continually miss whole chunks of data - Sometimes whole days at a time. I also lost my library and had to constantly reboot the box to recover it, as well as experiencing many of the other issues reported in this thread.

Today Sky rang me and offered me 6 months free HD Sub on the entertainment package on two boxes (i already possess) and then a further 6 months half price with no HD or multiroom charge at all over a 12 month contract, so I have returned to my sky HD box's.

Its sad that the Freesat platform has problems. Id really like to see it take off but I do feel that manufacturers are not too bothered about it and inherent problems continue to be ignored by the likes of Samsung.

I'm now planning to purchase a second dish and point it at one of the other satellites then use my Samsung in non Freesat mode on that.

It's not the Freesat platform it's the crap firmware on the Samsung box. You should have bought a Humax box. Just what do you think are Freesat's inherent problems ?
  • stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, I believe it's an issue with this box..

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/update-scan-060612/comment-page-3#comment-51162

My message to Samsung Support:

Samsung have offered a repair of my box so it seems this issue isn’t ‘widespread’ if you will.
    Forum Member
    It's not the Freesat platform it's the crap firmware on the Samsung box. You should have bought a Humax box. Just what do you think are Freesat's inherent problems ?
    Inherrent to freesat not just Smasumg boxes... Free to air channels such as Sky News are not on the planner (when the planner works) & you have to change the box into non freesat mode to watch, then you cant look at the EPG for Freesat. EPG missing chunks is not just on the Samsung box. Its reported all over the place on the humax forums too. C4HD is poor on all freesat boxes with jumpy pictures. Dont even get me started on the Bush Freesat HD + box. Its an absolute pile!
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inherrent to freesat not just Smasumg boxes... Free to air channels such as Sky News are not on the planner (when the planner works) & you have to change the box into non freesat mode to watch, then you cant look at the EPG for Freesat. EPG missing chunks is not just on the Samsung box. Its reported all over the place on the humax forums too. C4HD is poor on all freesat boxes with jumpy pictures. Dont even get me started on the Bush Freesat HD + box. Its an absolute pile!

Well the Bush box aside - FTA channels that do not subscribe to freesat do not have freesat EPG data. - The previous post was more connected (from memory) with freesat channels that did not have a full 7 day populated EPG. All freesat received should have this.

Quote "Samsung / Freesat EPG would continually miss whole chunks of data " it's not freesat - my HDR is always fine.
  • bramblebramble Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Quote "Samsung / Freesat EPG would continually miss whole chunks of data " it's not freesat - my HDR is always fine.
    My Samsung HDR is also always fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a load of twaddle. All FTA channels are not on the Freesat epg simply because they choose not to pay the epg fees. CH4-HD pictures are identical whatever platform you use, fta, Sky, Freesat or fta, it's the same transmission the epg or lack of it is entirely irrelevant. Why would whatever propriety epg the box uses make any difference to reception :confused:

Humax freesat boxes have such sensitive tuners they pull in fta transmissions in areas abroad where Sky boxes fail entirely.

You can include free to air channels not on the Freesat epg using customised firmware that allows you to watch/record them without leaving Freesat mode.Yes rarely you get some missing data on all epgs, it's nothing to do with Freesat if the broadcasters screw up the epg data.

You bought a crap box and clearly don't understand Freesat does nothing but transmit an epg, the actual transmission is the same whatever box you view it on.

In fact CH4-HD has some of the best HD pictures there are.
    Forum Member
    What a load of twaddle. All FTA channels are not on the Freesat epg simply because they choose not to pay the epg fees. CH4-HD pictures are identical whatever platform you use, fta, Sky, Freesat or fta, it's the same transmission the epg or lack of it is entirely irrelevant. Why would whatever propriety epg the box uses make any difference to reception :confused:

Humax freesat boxes have such sensitive tuners they pull in fta transmissions in areas abroad where Sky boxes fail entirely.

You can include free to air channels not on the Freesat epg using customised firmware that allows you to watch/record them without leaving Freesat mode.Yes rarely you get some missing data on all epgs, it's nothing to do with Freesat if the broadcasters screw up the epg data.

You bought a crap box and clearly don't understand Freesat does nothing but transmit an epg, the actual transmission is the same whatever box you view it on.

In fact CH4-HD has some of the best HD pictures there are.
    Well like my first post said Thats my experience with Freesat. You dont have to like it, but its a fact.

With regard to fringe reception. The humax may be good but it wont pull it all in, in Tenerife, whereas the Sky Pace 2600 C1 does and this box has been around a long time.

I understand that individual channels are responsible for their EPG data (C4 is virtually never there for more than just the current day on my Samsung). Funny how they manage to get it working on the Sky EPG though.

I know C4 HD is received from the same freq regardless of sat platform but then why does the Freesat FAQ page have a section on C4 HD reception problems with some boxes needing a firmware upgrade to fix it.

To attract the masses they have to get theses bugs sorted.

Its funny how a Samsung sky HD box works but they have problems with their freesat box. It just seems hit & miss across the whole freesat spectrum.

Im happy for you that your box is perfect. However looking at it with a slightly broader mind; for Freesat to succeed all Freesat boxes should be as good as the next one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know C4 HD is received from the same freq regardless of sat platform but then why does the Freesat FAQ page have a section on C4 HD reception problems with some boxes needing a firmware upgrade to fix it.

Simply because the Harvard crap didn't work properly with DVB-S2 and most problems were down to misaligned dishes when CH4-HD launched on a EB1 (now Eutelsat 28A) transponder at 28.5E rather than 28.2E.

There are numerous posts pre Astra 1N that quote 24/7 reception from Humax tuners in Iberia where Sky boxes failed miserably.

Sky have had some crap boxes as well, blaming Freesat for crap makers is just plain stupid.

Sky boxes have some massive disadvantages.

Extraordinarily high sby power consumptiom

Inability to use both tuners on a single cable

No capability to archive existing recordings in existing digital quality

No recording without a subscription

No surround sound via hdmi (apart from the latest non-pvr HD boxes).

When used without subscription an epg full of channels you cannot watch.

Sky boxes with Freesat from Sky cards or expired subscription cards worked in locations like Teneriffe simply because they can decrypt encrypted FTV channels transmitted on wide beam transponders (not FTA content), a vanishingly small number of sources since Astra 1N's commissioning.

As I said had you bought the wrong Freesat pvr.
    Forum Member
    Simply because the Harvard crap didn't work properly with DVB-S2 and most problems were down to misaligned dishes when CH4-HD launched on a EB1 (now Eutelsat 28A) transponder at 28.5E rather than 28.2E.

There are numerous posts pre Astra 1N that quote 24/7 reception from Humax tuners in Iberia where Sky boxes failed miserably.

Sky have had some crap boxes as well, blaming Freesat for crap makers is just plain stupid.

Sky boxes have some massive disadvantages.

Extraordinarily high sby power consumptiom

Inability to use both tuners on a single cable

No capability to archive existing recordings in existing digital quality

No recording without a subscription

No surround sound via hdmi (apart from the latest non-pvr HD boxes).

When used without subscription an epg full of channels you cannot watch.

As I said had you bought the wrong Freesat pvr.

Yeah I did mention there were a few good points, some of which you have mentioned and some I did. But its not much to ask to be able to select a program in the planner to record tomorrow is it? Maybe I bought the wrong box - twice. I made that point didnt I? So I didnt get a Humax, does that make me such an idiot? Where on the Samsung box does it say "with added functionality problems"? I wont be running out to get a Humax after my experience to possibly find the same / Similar problems which are also being reported on Humax forums. Many of the good things like using a single feed doesnt matter when you cant select a program to record in the flippin epg.

Iberia? Tenerife is not exactly Iberia geographically is it? Its a tad further south mate - like another 1000 miles further. The extreme edges of the footprint are the best place to test the sensitivity of a receiver (obviously) and this point is irrelevant as Im using the Smasung Freesat box in the UK. Whether of not the Humax box is good for fringe use has no bearing on a Samsung (or other make) box's ability to display data content for more than a few hours here in the UK

Ive got it mate - You love your Humax Freesat box. Good for you. But many people will not be so lucky and like me will shun Freesat until it gets things right across the board.

Im not blaming Freesat per-say, Im not blaming Samsung or Bush per-say all I'm saying is that the platform as a whole is far from perfect in my experience, indeed not even usable in some situations.

Sky have have had some bad reception boxes but they all did what they were meant to do like display the EPG etc. The point you make with regard to the sky epg displaying non receivable channels once you drop the sky sub and loosing recording functions was the reason I went out and bought Freesat HD + box in the first place, which brings me back to my original post.... Which - in my experience - was at best far from perfect, at worst unusable. I wont be spending another £200 + on a Humax just to possibly find that your prefect Freesat Humax box may possibly be in the minority. Tell you what; you buy me one & if it works without displaying any of the problems Ive encountered with the Samsung / Bush boxes over a month I'll pay you back and give you 50% on top for your trouble. Because I've wasted enough cash on this platform already.

And for that reason I'm out Freesat! (its a shame like)
  • bramblebramble Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makum101, have you considered that the missing program data may be a dish alignment problem, affecting reception of the freesat EPG transponder,... or maybe a faulty box. I have not had this problem with my Samsung S7800.

However, I understand your frustration and, having owned a Humax HDR twice, a Goodmans and the Samsung. I have had issues with all of them. Personally I prefer the Samsung, but it's certainly not perfect.

Understandably you have decided to return to Sky after your experiences. In your situation I would certainly not have bought a Humax HDR now as it's rather long in the tooth. I will be waiting for the early reviews of the first freesat G2 boxes when they materialise. If you hear good things about them, maybe you will consider returning to the freesat fold in a year or two.
    Forum Member
    bramble wrote: »
    Makum101, have you considered that the missing program data may be a dish alignment problem, affecting reception of the freesat EPG transponder,... or maybe a faulty box. I have not had this problem with my Samsung S7800.

However, I understand your frustration and, having owned a Humax HDR twice, a Goodmans and the Samsung. I have had issues with all of them. Personally I prefer the Samsung, but it's certainly not perfect.

Understandably you have decided to return to Sky after your experiences. In your situation I would certainly not have bought a Humax HDR now as it's rather long in the tooth. I will be waiting for the early reviews of the first freesat G2 boxes when they materialise. If you hear good things about them, maybe you will consider returning to the freesat fold in a year or two.
    I have wondered about dish alignment, but i dont have any problems with reception from my Sky HD box when hooked up to the same dish. However I have noticed on the Samsung Freesat box when I tune into the freesat info channel (same freq as the epg) I get stuttering music. I also only get 50% on the signal strength bar for that channel only, so you may be right.

Im going to get a 60cm dish and hook the Samsung up to it - primarily so I can point it at another satellite but ill check the Freesat info channel on this larger dish before I move it away from Astra 2.

Ive only returned to sky for 12 months as they gave me a good offer at a time when i was experiencing problems with the Freesat box. Ultimately I'd like to rid myself of the Sky platform for ever, so I'm interested in the next gen Freesat boxes and will keep an eye on the new boxes when they arrive on scene.

One of the reasons I chose the Samsung was because I'd read it was the only current box that can be upgraded to a g2 box via firmware update. Not sure if this is true but if so it will be put back to the test once again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    The Samsung box can't be upgraded to G2. I was under that impression too but it isn't possible.
    Forum Member
    EMcG67 wrote: »
    The Samsung box can't be upgraded to G2. I was under that impression too but it isn't possible.
    Ahh Blast! :cry:
  • stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung have offered a repair of my box so it seems this issue isn’t ‘widespread’ if you will.

Can anyone else with this box confirm if they can replicate the issue so I know whether or not to send my box for repair?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=58840449&postcount=1574

Thank you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I have given up on this box and purchased the humax foxsat hdr I just simply could not put up with all the bugs on it expecially the lost recordings we was promised a firmware update months ago to rectify all this but it just hasnt happened looks like Samsung have turned there back on this product
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    slkmaniac wrote: »
    I've finally got around to hooking up my S7800 to my home network. Almost everything works fine and I can see my shared local media, iPlayer works OK, and Youtube vids work OK, BUT, I seem to be unable to actually sign on to Youtube. I've checked that I'm entering the correct userID and password but I just keep getting the following message: Failed [Network communication Error] but the message seems to come back too quickly (2-3 seconds) as if it's not actually going anywhere. When I sign on to Youtube via web browser the delay before anything happens is about twice as long.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks... Mark.

Well, well it,s now 21/06 2012 and no change Samsung have thumbs stuck up the proverbial and totally deny they have a problem.I was told it's Tube's fault what utter cxxp its been going on for nearly a year now and no fix! they must have got the app' from somewhere. My purchase 5/6/12 has TV player and You Tube glittering all over the box and does not do what's on the box.The TV player is not there and they have no date to do so "probably 2025", the Tube only partially works but but you cannot blxxxy sign in to your own account, also you cannot Tube to get a reply only comments?. For Christ sake what is going on I will end up on the slab!!!
    Forum Member
    bigash82 wrote: »
    I have given up on this box and purchased the humax foxsat hdr I just simply could not put up with all the bugs on it expecially the lost recordings we was promised a firmware update months ago to rectify all this but it just hasnt happened looks like Samsung have turned there back on this product
    Maybe Freesat should put a banner on their site stating that all freesat boxes are an absolute pile of pap apart from Humax ones. Would have saved me wasting 200 sheets on a Samsung that does not do what it says on the tin. Or the Bush I bought prior which does even less.
  • JamesBsheppardJamesBsheppard Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I have to say that the way Samsung have handled the problems with this product puts me off buying other Samsung products.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Maybe Freesat should put a banner on their site stating that all freesat boxes are an absolute pile of pap apart from Humax ones. Would have saved me wasting 200 sheets on a Samsung that does not do what it says on the tin. Or the Bush I bought prior which does even less.

I agree the humax boxes are the best even the freeview version the HDR fox t2 is the best on that platform too a lesson learnt I think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Such a shame that Samsung so far have failed to sort out the bugs in this box otherwise the £149.95 Richer Sounds are offering this HDR for would be a steal. I've only had one 'disappearing recordings' incident in the 6 months I have had this box. I really shouldn't have typed that, should I?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EMcG67 wrote: »
    Such a shame that Samsung so far have failed to sort out the bugs in this box otherwise the £149.95 Richer Sounds are offering this HDR for would be a steal. I've only had one 'disappearing recordings' incident in the 6 months I have had this box. I really shouldn't have typed that, should I?

Yes you should, as we who have paid much more than that, for an item with bugs, and does not perform what is labeled on the front of it, we will not get our money back now if we try and sell it on.
    Like you I have been pleased with its general performance, but Samsung have not even had the courtusy to acknowledge properly the emails sent to them or comments on this forum.
    They have much bigger baristers than we have so we seem to be in their hands.
    Real shame that Samsung have turned their back on us and their own product, they could have at least given some hope.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Just asked Samsung how it's going, got the usual fobb-off.
    "We hope to have a software update available for this product in the near future to rectify this issue. Unfortunately our developers have not yet disclosed a release date. I apologise for the inconvenience caused. "

Perhaps they are waiting until all boxes are out of warranty before telling everyone that they aren't going to fix it, and we have no comeback because it's out of warranty.

That's the usual trick that Electronics manufacturers use.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they are waiting until all boxes are out of warranty...

Considering I know a few people who only bought these in the past month or so, that will take a while...