Options

Do You Regret Getting rid of Your Old CRT TV?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I bought Samsung's smart one and returned it but it was not because I missed my old TV. I will get another smart TV (maybe LG one) and won't go back to CRT ones.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that the sound on my older 42 inch (late 2007) is much clearer than on my newer 32 inch (mid 2010). The speaker on the 42 inch is quite big, it's located a the bottom of the screen and runs along the length of the screen. The speakers on the 32 inch are tiny and barely visible.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    I have to say that the sound on my older 42 inch (late 2007) is much clearer than on my newer 32 inch (mid 2010). The speaker on the 42 inch is quite big, it's located a the bottom of the screen and runs along the length of the screen. The speakers on the 32 inch are tiny and barely visible.

Exactly, the older LCD/Plasma sets generally had better sound because they had bigger speakers - simply because the sets were much larger, and wasted much more space around the picture. The current 'fashion' is for the set to be as close to the pure picture size as possible, this means tiny speakers and poor sound.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have we not reached a point where with the very best Prof HD source, such as bluray, the pic quality on the best LCD's is so far beyond what CRT could provide that only blind people might be able to disagree?
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not bothered with hd or bluray-what for? To watch coronation st or eastenders etc.? No thanks!I still use my philips crt that I've had for must be 12 years, but I must admit I no longer bother with tv, only dvds of old tv shows, so it's horses for courses.Obviously, when it packs upIwill have a flat tv as thats whats built nowadays.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered with hd or bluray-what for? To watch coronation st or eastenders etc.? No thanks!
    Oddly enough, I never use mine to watch those. But I do like to watch ground-breaking wildlife documentaries, high quality dramas, and films in HD, often accompanied by 5.1 surround sound.
    I still use my philips crt that I've had for must be 12 years, but I must admit I no longer bother with tv, only dvds of old tv shows, so it's horses for courses
    Well, quite. If you don't like any of that stuff, there's no point in having the right equipment to watch it on!
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, the older LCD/Plasma sets generally had better sound because they had bigger speakers - simply because the sets were much larger, and wasted much more space around the picture. The current 'fashion' is for the set to be as close to the pure picture size as possible, this means tiny speakers and poor sound.

Exactly

I had to go and disconnect an old 42" plasma (which I thought gave a good picture and had half decent sound) with a new £2000 ultra slim Samsung monster of a set.

I thought the sound on the new sammy was utterly rubbish, thin and tinny. Not what I would accept from a £2000 set. But the owners seemed to like it.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I guess the argument won't die until all the CRT's die......
    In the meantime maybe the solution to a lot of problems lie here.......At last!!
    ;)

I've written down the responses I expect from the usual suspects...Great game for the rests between sessions of MW3!:D
  • Options
    mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I guess the argument won't die until all the CRT's die......
    In the meantime maybe the solution to a lot of problems lie here.......At last!!
    ;)

I've written down the responses I expect from the usual suspects...Great game for the rests between sessions of MW3!:D

No I don't miss my CRT TV because it made our living room even hotter than it does today with our LCD TV ;)
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Yes and No.
    Old school light guns don't work with HDTVs.
    Older consoles look shite through RF input on HDTVs.
    CRTs take up too much room.
    CRTs use alot more electricity.
    CRTs give off alot of heat.
    If a CRT becomes faulty then chances are you can have a part replaced to get it working again.
    If a HDTV becomes faulty then chances are you have to replace the whole unit.