Options

Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat are extremely lazy.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
Forum Member
✭✭
I must say that they are both fantastic writers but they are also very lazy.
Lets start with Davies.

Last of the Time Lords. Everyone chanting Doctor and then he turns back to normal, that was lazy.

Journeys end. The Daleks get blown up by the push of a button, that was lazy.

Planet of the dead. Davies was so lazy he needed help to write it.

The end of time. That whole plot was lazy.

Now for Moffat.

The Pandorica opens. Moffat was too lazy to show all The Doctors enemys.

The big bang. Amy remembers The Doctor back to life, that was lazy.

The impossible astronaut. The robot Doctor gets shot and yet it is still about to regenerate, very lazy indeed.

The wedding of River Song. Very lazy indeed Moffat write himself into a coner and used time to get himself out of it.

I love both their eras but when Davies was lazy he used something as simple as a button to solve things and when Moffat is lazy he uses time to solve things.

Comments

• Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimthepig wrote: »
    I must say that they are both fantastic writers but they are also very lazy.
    Lets start with Davies.

Last of the Time Lords. Everyone chanting Doctor and then he turns back to normal, that was lazy.

Journeys end. The Daleks get blown up by the push of a button, that was lazy.

Planet of the dead. Davies was so lazy he needed help to write it.

The end of time. That whole plot was lazy.

Now for Moffat.

The Pandorica opens. Moffat was too lazy to show all The Doctors enemys.

The big bang. Amy remembers The Doctor back to life, that was lazy.

The impossible astronaut. The robot Doctor gets shot and yet it is still about to regenerate, very lazy indeed.

The wedding of River Song. Very lazy indeed Moffat write himself into a coner and used time to get himself out of it.

I love both their eras but when Davies was lazy he used something as simple as a button to solve things and when Moffat is lazy he uses time to solve things.

Actually I feel I shouldn't really answer, but how would you do better? Also, is lazy really the right word? They seem to be both working extremely hard, and if things don't work out the way the fans want, then maybe it's not really laziness on the writer's side, but wrong expectation on your side?
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll agree the ending of journeys end and the specials were very lazy, however i disagree that the moffs lazy. I think his writings fantastic. Amy remembering the Doctor isnt really lazy writing when it's been fully explained and established throughout series 5 (why was her remembering Rory and her parents not lazy?), them not having EVERY SINGLE monster would be more about saving money than lazy writing, you dont NEED every single one, the plot isnt any worse for it and thats where Moffats concerned.Why, if the tesselecta can imitate anything, even copying a soldier AND a mtorbike, could it not imitate a regeneration, remembering the Dooctor Tesselecta was meant to be a perfect copy to fool everyone.

WHY WAS THE WDDING OF RIVER SONG LAZY?! IT WAS REALLY COOL, CLEVER AND IMAGINIATIVE and one of my favourite series 6 episodes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll agree the ending of journeys end and the specials were very lazy, however i disagree that the moffs lazy. I think his writings fantastic. Amy remembering the Doctor isnt really lazy writing when it's been fully explained and established throughout series 5 (why was her remembering Rory and her parents not lazy?), them not having EVERY SINGLE monster would be more about saving money than lazy writing, you dont NEED every single one, the plot isnt any worse for it and thats where Moffats concerned.Why, if the tesselecta can imitate anything, even copying a soldier AND a mtorbike, could it not imitate a regeneration, remembering the Dooctor Tesselecta was meant to be a perfect copy to fool everyone.

WHY WAS THE WDDING OF RIVER SONG LAZY?! IT WAS REALLY COOL, CLEVER AND IMAGINIATIVE and one of my favourite series 6 episodes

Sorry they are as lazy as each other, or not lazy at all! Just because a few Internet fans prefer one or the other doesn't make any difference. Just as well that both RTD and Moff can laugh about this kind of stuff (which IMO is a playground disagreement).
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member

No offence but The Wedding of River Song was a mess and it really ruined the series 6 story arch in my opinion.
  • Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to disagree, I have found that both Moff and RTD are quite lazy, like the OP said Davies is lazy with endings and Moffat uses time when he is feeling lazy.

Infact every writer can be lazy because writing and thinking up storys is very hard.
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry they are as lazy as each other, or not lazy at all! Just because a few Internet fans prefer one or the other doesn't make any difference. Just as well that both RTD and Moff can laugh about this kind of stuff (which IMO is a playground disagreement).

Er... remind me why one cant be lazier than the other when their 2 different seperate individuals? I'm not dissing RTD, all my problems with him are very minor and I like his era (it's just the ending to series 4 I find lazy, nothing else), I'm just saying Moff is far better at linking his plot strands and giving explanations for (almost) everything. For example, while you may have hated the ending of series 5, most of what happens is backed up by the rest of the series while in Journeys End, Donna being part Human/Timelord means all she has to do is press a few buttons and throw a few switches to destroy all the Daleks and send all the planets back home. Form that one console in Davros's vault which you wouldnt think would be to important with Davros being the Daleks prisoner. I mean HOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's possible....
    Can't say I care if they're "lazy" or not though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Oh please not again. At least I suppose the OP cites both.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Davies uses a button and Moffat uses time.

I disagree that the sometimes intricate and complicated, sometimes action packed, nearly always witty plots which culminate in the button or the timey-wimey thing show evidence of laziness.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Now I expect we will have a poll/debate about who was the laziest
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Anyone who thinks that a head writer of a critically acclaimed show like Dr. Who is 'lazy' isn't using the word in the correct context.

Of course, if you're using the word in the lackadaisical modern vernacular meaning that their storylines are hackneyed or lacking in imagination, well, that's just 'lazy'. :p

RTD and Steven Moffatt are two of the finest TV writers of their generation. They both have repeated, enormous success with separate ventures to prove it too.
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure a lot of people properly comprehend just how hard being Exec Producer is. You may dislike a lot of what they do, their writing styles, go-to buttons they use too often etc, and you're perfectly entitled to. There's lots of little touches they both use that I'm not 100% on, but to call them lazy is just so so wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er... remind me why one cant be lazier than the other when their 2 different seperate individuals? I'm not dissing RTD, all my problems with him are very minor and I like his era (it's just the ending to series 4 I find lazy, nothing else), I'm just saying Moff is far better at linking his plot strands and giving explanations for (almost) everything. For example, while you may have hated the ending of series 5, most of what happens is backed up by the rest of the series while in Journeys End, Donna being part Human/Timelord means all she has to do is press a few buttons and throw a few switches to destroy all the Daleks and send all the planets back home. Form that one console in Davros's vault which you wouldnt think would be to important with Davros being the Daleks prisoner. I mean HOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Because you like Moff, you think RTD is lazy. Well other people like RTD so they think Moff is lazy:rolleyes:. It's boring for some of us who give them credit where credit is due. You get irate if someone criticises your lovely Moff, but you are happy to criticise RTD (vice versa for other people). It is actually boring!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorkjacksn wrote: »
    I'm not sure a lot of people properly comprehend just how hard being Exec Producer is. You may dislike a lot of what they do, their writing styles, go-to buttons they use too often etc, and you're perfectly entitled to. There's lots of little touches they both use that I'm not 100% on, but to call them lazy is just so so wrong.

Thank you, that's what I tried to say.
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, that's what I tried to say.

Haha no worries. Happy to be here to sum up your thoughts! :D

I fear this topic is just inevitably gonna devolve into the usual Moffat VS RTD war though.... :(
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your argument is very lazy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP hasn't posted again, and it was such an obviously inflammatory post... I know the word 'troll' is tossed around far to casually these days, but in this case it might actually be applicable.

As basically everyone else has said, neither show-writer is lazy in any sense of the word. They've both worked incredibly hard for Doctor Who, and people's subjective likes and dislikes of their individual kinds of storytelling has no bearing on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have have strong opinions on this so a, going to voice the,! :). They both have lazy moments have both have good moments. Parting of the Ways and Rose being a god had been alluded to across the entire series. The Torchwood parellel wall thing had been introduced the that same finale and the concept of background radiation had been introduced before in Dalek and reintroduced earlier in the same episode with the Genesis Ark. All the elements for The Last of the Timelords had been Introduced but they were pulling towards a bad conclusion. Journeys End pulling levers thing just was lazy. Now Moffat having the Doctor save himself is incredibly lazy. It is one of those things Doctor Who should never allude too as then why can't he just save himself all the time? And Amy remembering the Doctor was a bad concept too. The idea of her being Special because of growing up with a crack in her wall was not alluded to before at all and could easily have been. Also, Wedding of River Song was a way out although many people ( including myself) had assumed it would be more clever than the very first thing we all thought of when we saw the Tesselecta! :D

All in all, they have all had bad finales in terms of resolution although some did have good aspects which should be continued in all finales I think. Parting of the Ways had everything introduced before hand and was difficult for Rose to get too. A challenge. Doomsday had been explained in the episode as well and is sort of the one that works in just that situation. Bad Wolf, the Archangel network, hitting buttons, saving yourself, and remembering could all really be done on any story but the void stuff was just used in this episode and it fit. Last of the Timelords parts had all been introduced before as well. Journeys end did not go well. The Big Bang remembering had been integrated across the series but could not truly explain why it brought him back. Wedding of River Song worked and had been introduced before although it was a bit obvious! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fire Host wrote: »
    The OP hasn't posted again, and it was such an obviously inflammatory post... I know the word 'troll' is tossed around far to casually these days, but in this case it might actually be applicable.

As basically everyone else has said, neither show-writer is lazy in any sense of the word. They've both worked incredibly hard for Doctor Who, and people's subjective likes and dislikes of their individual kinds of storytelling has no bearing on that.

I am not a troll! I didn't think I had to post again I already said what I had to say. :rolleyes:
    I like Moffat and Davies but I just think that theyare sometimes lazy with the scripts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a troll! I didn't think I had to post again I already said what I had to say. :rolleyes:
    I like Moffat and Davies but I just think that theyare sometimes lazy with the scripts.

In that case, I humbly apologize.

But surely you realized that just letting rip with a long post in which you basically make one-word criticisms ('lazy!') of a whole host of episodes was hardly going to incite intricate, reasonable discussion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But surely you realized that just letting rip with a long post in which you basically make one-word criticisms ('lazy!') of a whole host of episodes was hardly going to incite intricate, reasonable discussion?

I agree why start a thread if you don't intend to post again:confused:. Surely that could be misconstrued as trolling. A thread should be started to spark debate in which the OP wants to take part. Starting a thread to give your esteemed opinion and f***ing off is not really what this forum is for (in my humble opinion).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I mean lazy as in they decide to solve an ending easily instead of thinking of a more clever way. You could call it mentally lazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting a thread to give your esteemed opinion and f***ing off is not really what this forum is for (in my humble opinion).

Thankfully the OP hasn't fallen into that trap, and I was perhaps a little hasty in presuming they wouldn't be back posting again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankfully the OP hasn't fallen into that trap, and I was perhaps a little hasty in presuming they wouldn't be back posting again.

Really? The above post suggests otherwise. Having already said what he wanted to say the OP assumed he didn't need to post anymore. However this is not a blog, but a forum.
  • Options
    TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree why start a thread if you don't intend to post again:confused:. Surely that could be misconstrued as trolling. A thread should be started to spark debate in which the OP wants to take part. Starting a thread to give your esteemed opinion and f***ing off is not really what this forum is for (in my humble opinion).

To be truthful I very rarely post in a thread I make. Maybe I should in future.:confused: