Options

Milkman

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Can they survive the supermarket competition ? will they be completely extinct in a few years time ?

Just had to stop mine,
£4.75 for 2 litres of milk and 6 eggs !

When you think that you can get 2 litres of milk for £1 at asda
then on that basis I was paying £3 . 75 got 6 eggs. !

Sad to have to stop the guy, but it was getting a little crazy !

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Can they survive the supermarket competition ? will they be completely extinct in a few years time ?

Just had to stop mine,

My dad also recently stopped his as even waitrose duchy organic milk was cheaper, he was very against it but said he can't afford to keep the guy in a job. I think only one person in the road has their milk delivered now.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have our milk delivered at work, but we only have 4 pints a week, so hardly much.

At home I dont, and I dont think any of my neighbours do. I certainly haven't heard / seen a milk float.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    havent seen a milkman here for years
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Ernie....... he drove the fastest milkcart in the west !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

(he could be the last milkman in the west !)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly it's a completely outmoded business model:(
    It's not just the price for me, it's that I really don't know how much milk etc I'll be using in advance so a 2litre job from the supermarket is just a no-brainer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started having a milkman again after a doorstep promotion, he came every other day and woke me at 3.30 in the morning, never called to collect money so i cancelled.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a Milkman, started around 12 months ago, I have 6 pints a week and a orange juice.

The milk is not as cheap as in the supermarkets but it sure tastes better as it comes from a local farm/dairy.
    I do have to cut down, not so much because of price, but because I don't use 6 pints, so I got to cut at least a pint out, maybe 2.

I end up drinking it, which is ok, but too much milk can't be good for me, i use skimmed milk.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband was a milkman for just over 17 years he stopped a few years ago because the business is dying, he found it hard to charge people so much for what they could get for a fraction of the price in the supermarkets.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I use a Milkman, started around 12 months ago, I have 6 pints a week and a orange juice.

The milk is not as cheap as in the supermarkets but it sure tastes better as it comes from a local farm/dairy.
    I do have to cut down, not so much because of price, but because I don't use 6 pints, so I got to cut at least a pint out, maybe 2.

I end up drinking it, which is ok, but too much milk can't be good for me, i use skimmed milk.

I would imagine the local dairy is also supplying your local chains. They would never stay in business otherwise.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few elderly neighbours who still use the local one but god knows how he still stays in business.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped the milkman many moons ago, I don't even think they show up around our area because no one seems to get milk this way. There is a local shop that means you don't have to get in the car and travel to Asda if something is needed urgently. So there just isn't a requirement for them around here.

My sister however still gets stuff delivered - she doesn't drive though so maybe this is one reason for this.

It is a shame, but it is the way of the world I suppose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »

Just had to stop mine,

Needs must so don't feel guilty!
    I like the idea of the now 'old fashioned' milkman and individual shops like bakers, butchers, greengrocers etc and i would happily use them!
    But, as you say it's the prices - of course they have to charge what they do to make up for the major supermarkets taking most of the trade. They are all slowly but surely closing down and sadly wil be non-existant very soon which is such a shame
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen a milkman or milk float since the '80s!
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have had a milkman for about 10 years now. We have a dairy farm behind our houses, so it doesn't come very far and it's good quality- has no additives etc. The cost isn't much more than the supermarkets- just a couple of pence. I like it.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    We have a milkman who supplies 3 villages around here and does good business.

I suppose it is because his family has done the round for generations and we all feel we owe them something, but it is also quite a useful service in an area where large food shops are a distance away and elderly customers cannot get easily to them. Our bus services are atrocious.

Chris, the milkman, delivers all sorts of things other than milk - potatoes, eggs, juice, bread etc. He delivers in all weathers - and last winter, when we were all snowed in, he somehow managed to get his stuff to our green and dumped a whole load of milk and other essentials with just a honesty box. I was very impressed when he told me later that he was only 10p short at the end of it!

For communities like ours shopping becomes difficult when you get old. If you are on your own, can't drive and public transport is poor, the milkman could well be a saving grace. Of course, Ocado, Tesco Direct etc could pick up the slack - but lack the personal touch of our milkman.
    So I am more than happy to subsidise him.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone would use a milkman. They are doomed. It is a defunct occupation - like toshers.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not had a milkman for 37 years. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine the local dairy is also supplying your local chains. They would never stay in business otherwise.

Oh yes they supply local shops and some local cafes.

the shop just across the road from me sells them, but they are in plastic bottles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone would use a milkman. They are doomed. It is a defunct occupation - like toshers.

Our milkman seems to do ok, he been abroad on holiday twice last year,
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I saw a Milkman he came to the farm to take the milk away, not deliver it:D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Are we sure they haven't been catnapped?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Last had milk delivered in ca 1993