Options

Gem 106 'Back to the 80's'.

Comments

• Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I reserve the right to use:mad:whilst it remains available and will continue to do so to stress a point if I feel like it,thank you.Thats what the icons have been provided for.I have not taken this too seriously,I suggest you are taking it much too lightly.I repeat.standards have slipped all round.,and this type of situation will no doubt be repeated ad nauseum.
    Maybe my standards are too high (for you).

So what would you have done if you'd been running the station?

You're the MD or PD of Gem 106 and you come in on Monday morning and check the logger unless of course you heard the show go out. How would you deal with this situation?

The someone has clearly made a mistake but how you'd deal with it is totally up to you.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    So what would you have done if you'd been running the station?

You're the MD or PD of Gem 106 and you come in on Monday morning and check the logger unless of course you heard the show go out. How would you deal with this situation?

The someone has clearly made a mistake but how you'd deal with it is totally up to you.

I'd have a word with the presenter and tell him what a BALLAD is.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member

Erm - that's pretty much what I said in post #61 :cool:

Granted, I didn't use the word "ballad" - but then again, you've already told me that my standards are lower than yours. So it must be true.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So you'd basically do the same as most other people then. 4 pages into the thread and we're all saying the same thing then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm - that's pretty much what I said in post #61 :cool:

Granted, I didn't use the word "ballad" - but then again, you've already told me that my standards are lower than yours. So it must be true.

Oh,sorry am i still being too pedantic for you?:yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you'd basically do the same as most other people then. 4 pages into the thread and we're all saying the same thing then.

Tell me, though. Do you think one erroneous link is a big deal? You know, of the kind that would warrant the conclusion of standards being lowered across an entire industry? Just curious to see what other level headed people think...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tell me, though. Do you think one erroneous link is a big deal? You know, of the kind that would warrant the conclusion of standards being lowered across an entire industry? Just curious to see what other level headed people think...

Not at all it's something said that sounds a bit daft by a presenter on an off peak show. Point out to him that it sounded a bit daft and leave it at that.

I've got away with and sometimes been bollocked for far worse than that and it was never a big deal. If I'd done it again and repeatedly made the same mistakes then I'm sure my contract wouldn't have been renewed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh,so I'm not level headed then?A presenter on a 'regional' station should at least know what a ballad is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh,so I'm not level headed then?A presenter on a 'regional' station should at least know what a ballad is.

You're doing it again. Making a massive assumption that the presenter somehow deliberately didn't play a ballad in the sweep after the link.

You don't know for sure if the presenter dropped a song, or a tech op - perhaps for timing reasons - or for another reason. You don't know for sure that a ballad wasn't scheduled and the system cocked up.

All of these are variables which could have led to this error. And you've not even bothered to raise it with the station.

Someone upthread asked me if I was a PD, and suggested I didn't have the skills to do a good job in the role. Yet you seem happy to seethe about this issue rather than taking up what I think was a perfectly reasonable suggestion. From another poster, I might add.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ballad or not that's a good selection of tracks that most listeners will enjoy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're doing it again. Making a massive assumption that the presenter somehow deliberately didn't play a ballad in the sweep after the link.

You don't know for sure if the presenter dropped a song, or a tech op - perhaps for timing reasons - or for another reason. You don't know for sure that a ballad wasn't scheduled and the system cocked up.

All of these are variables which could have led to this error. And you've not even bothered to raise it with the station.

Someone upthread asked me if I was a PD, and suggested I didn't have the skills to do a good job in the role. Yet you seem happy to seethe about this issue rather than taking up

swhat I think was a perfectly reasonable suggestion. From another poster, I might add.

Alright then, just blame it on the automation,,,on an 'off peak'show then.Whatever.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh,so I'm not level headed then?/QUOTE]

I think you need to take a step back and realise that this isn't about you. I would have taken exactly the same stance with anyone who was still banging on about a single erroneous link almost two weeks after it happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh,so I'm not level headed then?/QUOTE]

I think you need to take a step back and realise that this isn't about you. I would have taken exactly the same stance with anyone who was still banging on about a single erroneous link almost two weeks after it happened.

I'm only continuing to 'bang on about it'as you put it because you take apart absolutely everything I say,You are now going back and picking out another quote from one of my posts just for the hell of it. I did think this thread was beginning to die a natural death, obviously not.Whatever happened to free speech? Not whilst you are around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see. So you're entitled to as much "free speech" as you like, yet when challenged, nobody else is?
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodness (as David Lloyd himself might say), I can understand people getting upset about a negligent surgeon or corrrupt politician or bankers who have wrecked this country's economy, but this really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see. So you're entitled to as much "free speech" as you like, yet when challenged, nobody else is?

Not when you are constantly taking snipes at the same person no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness (as David Lloyd himself might say), I can understand people getting upset about a negligent surgeon or corrrupt politician or bankers who have wrecked this country's economy, but this really?

Yes, this really. A radio presenter/PC/tech op should take as much pride and take as much care as a brain surgeon,on a so called 'regional'station. Thats;s the problem, standards have slipped. Anything will do now.Even on an 'off peak' show from 6 till 10 on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    greatvoicegreatvoice Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Yes, this really. A radio presenter/PC/tech op should take as much pride and take as much care as a brain surgeon,on a so called 'regional'station. Thats;s the problem, standards have slipped. Anything will do now.Even on an 'off peak' show from 6 till 10 on a Saturday night.

You forgot to add " voice tracked " good god, they cant even get that correct , and for that there is no excuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This is a perfectly serious and reasonable question. You indicated earlier that you hadn't even contacted the PD concerned. "what would be the point?" you asked.

Upthread, another poster said he had previously written to David Lloyd and had received a reply. That would seem to indicate that David does not subscribe to the "anything will do now" viewpoint. (which isn't what I actually said).

So can I ask you : why have you chosen not to do the same? Who knows, it might stop future mistakes.

I don't think that this is a post attacking you, by the way. I'm offering a constructive comment, a solution perhaps. If you can't accept that, well, that's a shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a perfectly serious and reasonable question. You indicated earlier that you hadn't even contacted the PD concerned. "what would be the point?" you asked.

Upthread, another poster said he had previously written to David Lloyd and had received a reply. That would seem to indicate that David does not subscribe to the "anything will do now" viewpoint. (which isn't what I actually said).

So can I ask you : why have you chosen not to do the same? Who knows, it might stop future mistakes.

I don't think that this is a post attacking you, by the way. I'm offering a constructive comment, a solution perhaps. If you can't accept that, well, that's a shame.

You don't think that you are sometimes attacking me in the wording of your answers? You can't resist it. You might want to read some of your previous posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You don't think that you are sometimes attacking me in the wording of your answers? You can't resist it. You might want to read some of your previous posts.

Ok. I've tried twice now to have a reasonable conversation with you. My last post was an attempt to actually address the fundamental issue you raised in your initial post. You might also want to read some of your own earlier posts. This time, I'm out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. I've tried twice now to have a reasonable conversation with you. My last post was an attempt to actually address the fundamental issue you raised in your initial post. You might also want to read some of your own earlier posts. This time, I'm out.

Look, we almost agreed a few posts ago,but you just kept on coming back.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read this thread now for quite a while, you have a right to freedom of speech (like everyone else) and where I understand you are annoyed at the stations mistake on a V'T'd show - but for you to take it this far is really unhealthy. Do you perhaps need help with some issues? If this is annoyed you so so much.

For goodness sake, this mistake has been made, but it's not as bad as people dying in road accidents every day, or our soldiers heads being blown off- or someone dying or cancer etc....etc...etc... kind of puts it into perspective.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, this really. A radio presenter/PC/tech op should take as much pride and take as much care as a brain surgeon,on a so called 'regional'station. Thats;s the problem, standards have slipped.

Standards have not slipped at all and human nature has not changed much in thousands of years. People make mistakes sometimes and that's all this is down to. Someone made a mistake nothing more.

I'm sure occasionally surgeons make mistakes too although when that happens it really does matter.

By saying standards have slipped you imply that no one ever made mistakes in the days when standards were higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standards have not slipped at all and human nature has not changed much in thousands of years. People make mistakes sometimes and that's all this is down to. Someone made a mistake nothing more.

I'm sure occasionally surgeons make mistakes too although when that happens it really does matter.

By saying standards have slipped you imply that no one ever made mistakes in the days when standards were higher.

Well you contradict yourself there.