PS3/Xbox 360 External Hard Drive

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone tell me if there are any external hard drives that are compatible with the 250gb version of Xbox 360 and 500gb PS3?

I'm running out of space on the hard drives of both consoles and do not want to delete my game saves and everything else.

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All external harddrives are compatable with ps3 you just have to format them to fat32. I use a Toshiba 1tb portable hdd on my ps3 does the trick nicely and cost £49.99 in currys (not sure if that offer is still on but there is a 1tb sony one in there for £56.99)
    not sure about Xbox though.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't store games on the external drive though, only music, movies etc.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    You can't store games on the external drive though, only music, movies etc.

Why?:mad:

I thought that the sole purpose of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 would be that to save your games, you need a hard drive.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might be better of getting this for the ps3 it should be easily enough to install. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HN-M101MBB-5400rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B0053YLTBC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1363690207&sr=8-6
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the PS3 you can copy game "Save Files" to an external drive for back up but you cannot move a downloaded game to the external drive.

You can also store and use music, videos and pictures from an external drive.

Games you have downloaded to your PS3 can be deleted and redownload from the "Download list" in the "Account Management" section of the XMB as many times as you want.

If you want to keep every game you buy and download on the PS3 you would be better off with an internal drive which is pretty easy to install.

I have no experience of this on 360.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 360 allows you to copy games to an external HDD, but this is limited to 32gb per HDD, so your not much better off with your 360.

I have the same problem as you FIFA, running out of space but don't want to delete anything.

It seems MS and Sony want us to download all our games but they limit our games collection to the size of the internal drive.

Very annoying indeed.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The internal storage capacity of the PS3 is only limited by the size of the HDD. The largest capacity 9.5mm 2.5" SATA that you can currently buy is 1TB, but this will change... eventually.

You can buy 1.5TB and 2TB 2.5" SATAs but they are 12.5mm thick (which is too big for the PS3). It takes time for that technology to be fabricated on a smaller scale to be used in 9.5mm and 7mm HDDs.

The largest capacity 7mm 2.5" SATA I have seen is 500GB so this is of little use.

In terms of an external HDD, as it has been mentioned above, you cannot store games or game data on it, only save data and other media (music, video, photos). As it has to be formatted to FAT32, the largest capacity HDD you could use is 4TB (currently £180 - £270) as that is the maximum single partition capacity supported by the FAT32 standard.
  • Linda_AndersonLinda_Anderson Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Yes I think all hard drives are compatible as long as their FAT32, NTFS isn't compatible. I kept the hard drives from my old PC and downloaded a program to convert it to FAT32 and bought an external hard drive outer case to put it in. I use it for TV shows and movies.

If you need a bigger hard drive for your PS3 you can switch them. I found a video on youtube showing you how to do it a while ago.