Freesat In Southern Spain

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
Forum Member
Due to the changes with the Astra satellites, all of us in southern spain will be shortly losing most of our UK TV channels, (ie) BBC C4 ITV.

We have already lost the all the Five channels and a few others.

This will happen this summer. My question is what in the opinion of the users of this forum will be left on the pan european beam on freesat.

If its just QVC and the religious channels then Ill will be taking a hammer to my machine with great sadness:cry:

there are millions of us expats who have paid into into the uk system for years and to the BBC who are now going to be left high a dry.

Im not paying for free freeview channels via the internet as its not a practical option for me and millions like me in our golden years.

Ive got a feeling that the only semi decent uk channels on the euro beam will be the subscription channels via sky, so in the end Murdoch will get us in the end.

for all still in the UK dont forget about with all the new "britons" in the uk from eastern europe equal amounts of Brits are in spain etc and use Freesat as a life line.

charlie

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carlos88 wrote: »

This will happen this summer. My question is what in the opinion of the users of this forum will be left on the pan european beam on freesat.

They could move up the coast to Valencia, where the winter ciimate is better and all the channels are still available.
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very difficult one. In fact my parents moved to Portugal in 1986 and the thing my mother missed most was Radio 4. In those days it was Droitwich or nowt!! I can remember analogue Astra 19 arriving and many people (not I have to say my parents) installed it straight away, even if many of the channels were in foreign languages or "not the BBC".

I have some sympathy with you, particularly as where we go in France the 2F signal is every bit as strong as 1N (not far from Limoges). But I'm afraid that you're going to be up against the argument - every time - that the BBC is a "British" broadcaster, funded by the licence fee, and if the signal fails to spill as far as Spain that's not really its problem. Which is no comfort to you.

What is a pity is that there isn't some legitimate method to receive BBC programmes abroad. Swiss TV operate such a system for Swiss people abroad (a sort of Solus card) and of course that's what the BBC effectively did from 1999 - 2003, although of course it wasn't really aimed at people like you....

All you can do is curse the invention of spot beams...

In our case we pay the BBC licence fee at our British address so - before anyone says - we're not getting something for nothing when we're in France....

I suspect some on here are going to give your situation very little sympathy if past experience on the debate over receiving TV signals abroad is anything to go by. Let's hope the debate doesn't degenerate too quickly.
  • dee_effdee_eff Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Sadly, Carlos, I can't agree with your basic premise that "there are millions of us expats who have paid into into the uk system for years and to the BBC who are now going to be left high a dry".
    We received a service when we paid for it, and now that we don't pay for it we can't expect to receive it. The fact that we can is simply down to the "Freedom to Receive" agreements. A light-hearted comparison would be to say that I used to pay a barman lots of money in UK for his beer, now that I don't pay him any more, I'm not getting any of his product.
    Nevertheless, you have my sympathy.
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to the changes with the Astra satellites, all of us in southern spain will be shortly losing most of our UK TV channels, (ie) BBC C4 ITV.

Ive got a feeling that the only semi decent uk channels on the euro beam will be the subscription channels via sky, so in the end Murdoch will get us in the end.

for all still in the UK dont forget about with all the new "britons" in the uk from eastern europe equal amounts of Brits are in spain etc and use Freesat as a life line.

charlie

I know sky have a lot of there channels on a wide beam at the moment, and yes I expect they will put even more of there channels on wide beam, I know they say, they will not permit people outside the uk to recieve sky, but we all know thousands and thousands of people do get sky abroad, so I can see why sky and some poster's who are connected with sky, do not like the idea of FREESAT being available in Europe, so for those people abroad who may lose FREESAT I am sorry for, I live in a part of France that should still get FREESAT, but if the UK satalite beam get's so tight we lose the signal, then I like those in southern spain will just have to accept it,

Life here will still be better for me than life in the UK , and I think it is the same for most expats
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are losing access FTA to something that you really should have had no access to in the first place. Initially all the PSBs were encrypted on satellite requiring at least a BBC Solus viewing card only available to UK TV licence payers - so programme providers could make the assumption that reception of the channels was more or less restricted to the UK. The BBC managed to con those providers that the tighter spotbeam of Astra 2D was sufficient to restrict reception and so the providers agreed to them going FTA. As it is now so obvious that assumption was so false with reception being possible as far outside the UK as Cyprus and Greece (albeit with very large dishes) that the broadcasters need even tighter focussed spotbeams. We do not yet have the situation that exists with Saorsat and Ireland but I can see it coming to that in the future.

You may well have paid into the system (and possibly still do in some cases) but the broadcasters are not paying the providers to transmit outside the UK. Sorry you choose to live outside the UK and have to accept that many UK facilities and services are not available to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But did the broadcasters actually "require" (or even ask for) tighter beams? (than those already in use on 2D or 1N)

I was under the impression that it is more to do with the possibility (and desirability) of frequency re-use from a single point on the Clarke belt than any pressure from the broadcasters, or indeed those oh-so-precious rights holders.

But I hesitate to disagree with as such as you are - I know - remarkably well informed and respected "in this place"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But did the broadcasters actually "require" (or even ask for) tighter beams? (than those already in use on 2D or 1N)

I was under the impression that it is more to do with the possibility (and desirability) of frequency re-use from a single point on the Clarke belt than any pressure from the broadcasters, or indeed those oh-so-precious rights holders.

But I hesitate to disagree with as such as you are - I know - remarkably well informed and respected "in this place"!

Very good point, maybe someone could give a honest answer, ie how many broadcaster's have demanded a tighter beam than we already have?

Not just more bull that we get from a few poster's who have interest's in sky, Who we know do not like FTA channel or the FREESAT PLATFORM
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is probably down to what rights they hold to show what and where under FTA conditions.
    Forum Member
    You are losing access FTA to something that you really should have had no access to in the first place.

Can you explain what you mean by this, please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

peter05 wrote: »
    Very good point, maybe someone could give a honest answer, ie how many broadcaster's have demanded a tighter beam than we already have?

Not just more bull that we get from a few poster's who have interest's in sky, Who we know do not like FTA channel or the FREESAT PLATFORM
    swills wrote: »
    It is probably down to what rights they hold to show what and where under FTA conditions.

That does not answer the question?

There are thousand of series, dramas and films show FTA, a slight overspill on a tight UK beam seems not to matter, however on a wide beam I can see the problem
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If sport/Movie distributors don't like British television reaching into Europe, what about North America? Here, presumably, satellite beams cover the whole continent and serve the whole population. Why should it be such a big deal regarding the European continent's population? So much for the EU being one marketplace - as they keep telling us.

As far as the BBC, Channel 4 etc. are concerned, why would they wish to deprive English speakers outside the UK of home grown programmes? It is really such a big deal to them that The One Show, Coronation Street, Panorama etc. can be picked up across Europe? Surely, this would be to the advantage of the commercial channels as they could get more for advertising?

I pay the TV licence, don't have a place abroad but am quite happy for Brit TV to be available across Europe for ex-pats & foreigners. Indeed, I have heard that many foreigners watch British television in order to learn & perfect their English. Surely, that can't be such a bad thing?

It is also a pity that European channels are not available here on the same satellite position 28E. By making it awkward for people, bigger dishes are required (if within the fringe footprint) and this is going to make buildings/towns look ugly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    there may be an argument with regards to the BBC and getting something for nothing however surely this is not the case for FTA channels.

is n't there european legislations that states that we all can have any channel with the euro zone albeit by paying the appropriate subcriptions.

Coincidently Gibraltar ignore all copywrite laws and allow multlple pay channels to be fed directly to flats, these channels include sky movies sky sports Digital + and and the arab sports channels.

Whilst on the subject what is the point of the BBC world service?? why is an english language radio station being picked up in africa more important than the millions on brits who have left the UK for say health reasons.

I do understand that people who still pay the licence fee will be bothered that people are receiving these channels without contributing, but less not forget you can see Match of the day just as easy in Amsterdam, Calais or Dublin than you can in London.

Freesat is a great product and a real and only possible thorn in sky's side. It will be greatly missed by all of us down here.
    Forum Member
    there may be an argument with regards to the BBC and getting something for nothing however surely this is not the case for FTA channels.

is n't there european legislations that states that we all can have any channel with the euro zone albeit by paying the appropriate subcriptions.

Coincidently Gibraltar ignore all copywrite laws and allow multlple pay channels to be fed directly to flats, these channels include sky movies sky sports Digital + and and the arab sports channels.

Whilst on the subject what is the point of the BBC world service?? why is an english language radio station being picked up in africa more important than the millions on brits who have left the UK for say health reasons.

I do understand that people who still pay the licence fee will be bothered that people are receiving these channels without contributing, but less not forget you can see Match of the day just as easy in Amsterdam, Calais or Dublin than you can in London.

Freesat is a great product and a real and only possible thorn in sky's side. It will be greatly missed by all of us down here.

I hope you weren't offended by my taking you to task over what I called "your basic premise", its a consequence of many thoughts having to be condensed into relatively few words. Reading the post above, I think that were we to have a blether over a glass or two, we'd probably get on very well.
    There are more than a few people in different fora who think that we shouldn't be allowed to watch UK programmes since we don't pay the UK TVL. Against those I rail. Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights covers the freedom to receive broadcasts. It is sometimes used in The Netherlands to overturn landlord's rules concerning mounting of satellite dishes.
    Also, there is a EU initiative "Television without Frontiers", this is a most excellent idea and is slowly progressing. The reception of programmes in areas due to the "bleeding" round the edges of a satellite footprint is an unwished for but nevertheless totally legal aberration safeguarded by these initiatives.
    On the subject of the BBC World Service, I used it in the far east and in several other areas before the satellite services became available. It was designed as an adjunct to the UK broadcast services under Lord Reith's motto that "Nation shall speak peace unto Nation".

All in all, I think we're on roughly the same wavelength. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of the World Service and the vernacular transmissions, of course until very recently they were funded separately by the Foreign Office via a Grant in Aid direct to that part of the BBC. It's only very recently that they're funded by the licence fee, and have been cut very heavily as a result.

What's so nice is that this thread is remaining very civilised! It's nice to know it's possible.

What the OP needs is a very long bit of coax from his house to ours and I'd happily send him the 2E signals along it. I'm sure 1000 odd kms of cable slung along existing telephone poles wouldn't be too much of a problem.....

Is there *any* sized dish that would work at your location for 2F? I know some friends in the south of Spain had a 2.4 m dish (which they shared) in the days of Astra 2D but realise that already 2.4 m is pretty big. Presumably we're taking 3.5 m or something like that....?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    zandar wrote: »
    If sport/Movie distributors don't like British television reaching into Europe, what about North America? Here, presumably, satellite beams cover the whole continent and serve the whole population.
    It's EXACTLY the same in North America! US satellite TV operators will not allow - and will agressively cut-off - anyone found subscribing to their services from Canada!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member

All that is known is that the BBC negotiated a deal with the rights holders that signals from Astra 2D were narrow enough to be allowed to broadcast FTA as it's supposedly 'UK only'. We all know how completely wrong that is, but that's the deal they made.

Since that negotiation other channels have taken advantage of the same narrow beam transponders, which only happened to be there by complete accident anyway (2D was originally built for a different broadcaster to Astra/SES, and it was them who specified the narrow beam. not Astra/SES).

But because 28.2E is considered a UK specific slot, and presumably because of further demand for narrow UK beams?, Astra/SES have ordered later satellites to have narrow UK beams, even more so than 2D.

For the UK it can only be good - higher signal strength, no need for region 2 dishes even at the top of Scotland, and plenty more space for channels to go FTA (and on Freesat) IF they want to, and if it's viable to do so.

Bit of a bummer for the ex-pats, but they have had a good run for many years so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, yes us expats have had a good run as you put it, So all broadcaster's are happy with narrow beam we have now or will have soon,
    Can you or someone else say if all sky channels will be going on the narrow beam or will they continue to use a wide beam for some or all of there channels as that may give hope or not to those that cannot get the tight beam signals?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, yes us expats have had a good run as you put it, So all broadcaster's are happy with narrow beam we have now or will have soon,
    Can you or someone else say if all sky channels will be going on the narrow beam or will they continue to use a wide beam for some or all of there channels as that may give hope or not to those that cannot get the tight beam signals?

There's no advantage for any encrypted channels to move beams - but most of the wide beams are on old satellites, so are likely to move to narrow ones when the satellites are retired.

I would imagine the way of the future is going to be all narrow beams?.
    Forum Member
    The EU initiative "Television without Frontiers" was a non starters as soon as Murdoch started to control football rights and the televised champions league.

I bet they would never consider tighting the beam so to exclude the republic of Ireland.
    Forum Member
    The EU initiative "Television without Frontiers" was a non starters as soon as Murdoch started to control football rights and the televised champions league.

Nothing to do with Murdoch (or even BSkyB - who would be a LOT more relevant than Murdoch).

The "Television without frontiers" isn't at all what you're imaging it to be, like many EU related posts here it's entirely different to what people who mention it think it is.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The only regulations are that member states do not interfere with the rights of its citizens to receive FTA transmissions from other member states and has provisions within it for restricting reception areas by use of restrictions on where subs are sold. The recent ECJ judgement has merely confirmed that it is not illegal to purchase viewing cards and use them outside their territory BUT has not forced broadcasters to do so or prevented them from turning off viewing cards if so (the viewer has breached the terms and conditions of their contract).

I personally am not against the use by private individuals of "foreign viewing cards" and used my first such card nearly 20 years ago. However the present situation where foreign subs sold to individuals are being fraudulently used in commercial premises (pubs, clubs etc) has escalated the reactions from the content providers to such an extent that the EPL have refused to sell future rights to an Albanian broadcaster because of the widespread highly advertised sale of their cards in this country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

How do channels get received in Gibraltar with the arrival of 2F? As I understood it, each block of flats has a large satellite dishes on its roof - but wouldn't those dishes now have to be 3m+?
    Forum Member
    Gib has 100's channels pipped in via Gib Cable, its also has BFBS channels for all the military personel, there are numerous big dishes in Gib, however more than likely they may get channels via the internet.

Ironically enough BBC iplayer works perfectly in Gib and is not restricted in any away.

as standard you can watch the champions league in Gib in perfect HD via at least three different providers. The tennants pay a monimal communal charge a year for the maintainance.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member

We have already lost the all the Five channels and a few others.

If its just QVC and the religious channels then Ill will be taking a hammer to my machine with great sadness:cry:

there are millions of us expats who have paid into into the uk system for years and to the BBC who are now going to be left high a dry.

Im not paying for free freeview channels via the internet as its not a practical option for me and millions like me in our golden years.

charlie

BBC Radio and other UK commercial radio stations are freely available to listen to live. TVcatchup http://www.tvcatchup.com/channels.html just requires free registration but you'll have to make your own virtual private network arrangements for a very modest monthly fee and I can't say any more in an open forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio and other UK commercial radio stations are freely available to listen to live. TVcatchup http://www.tvcatchup.com/channels.html just requires free registration but you'll have to make your own virtual private network arrangements for a very modest monthly fee and I can't say any more in an open forum.

anyone any idea why the above wont work with the iportal vpn ?