I passed my driving test what is the best cars for tall guys?

DigitalPervDigitalPerv Posts: 130
Forum Member
I live in London and don't have a clue about this thing but I just passed my test at 29 and hope to get a decent looking car that has had a previous owner and problem is I'm abut 6 ft 6 and I've got about £2670 to spend. So half of that will be for a deposit. How much do most people spend on insurance a year and what would be a "cheap" price range for me to look for?

Comments

• Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) I Don't if you're instructor taught you this but most Cars come with adjustable seats for length & height.

2) Golf TSI 1.2/Renault Clio Expression 1.2

3) Direct Line offer the best deals for those in their late 20s/early 30s but also consider doing a Pass Plus course, also find out if somebody else has Direct Line car insurance in your household also as this will reduce the insurance significantly.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2) Golf GTI 1.2

No such car. If I were you OP, I'd be looking at some flavour of 1.6 Focus. You can pick up a half-decent one for around a grand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    No such car.

I do apologise I meant the TSI.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something with adjustable seat height and of course plenty of leg room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Popemobile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Anything by Vauxhall... its the only thing my lanky OH can drive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    A Dutch friend is 6'5" and his first car was an old Citroen duck. As long as your head isn't touching the ceiling, you should be ok - check the car's roofline height.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A convertible TR7 would be within your budget headroom requirments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by Vauxhall... its the only thing my lanky OH can drive

..What has the OP done to you that you want to send him to the garage often?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is 6ft7 and he drives a Mercedes A-Class.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Try a Skoda Fabia. They are quite 'tall' for their size.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

Nothing wrong with Vauxhalls. I don't drive one personally but OH has never driven anything else and we've never had a problem with them...Ive had more problems with my Audi
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Mine's been fine so far (Insignia SRi VX-Line Diesel). Ironically, I was having a lot of trouble with my old BMW which made me swap it. Had loads of bother with one of the first Audi TTs when they came out too. Just pot luck really.

The Insignia would fit the OP, I'm over 6' and have no problem, but I find the wide sills force me to kind of dive into it head first. :D
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Mini with a sunroof.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Avoid Renault
    I'm not exactly lanky, at 5' 10½", but every Renault I've driven, I've struggled to avoid my head touching the headlining.
    (OK, so I've only driven 5 or 6 Renaults so far - but it does show a general trend - Other than sportscars, I've only experienced one other car where I couldn't get the seat low enough to avoid the headlining - a Honda Accord, many years ago)
    Even a Laguna I had a few yrs back - A fair-sized car, so it was a surprise that even with the seat as low as it'll go, I still kept brushing the headlining with the top of my head.
    Only way to stop it was to lean the seat way back like a racing driver,
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the title of this thread and instantly thought of this.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121217083538/simpsons/images/6/60/Very_Tall_Man.jpg
  • collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 6'6" and over the years I have found very few cars that I don't fit into. I owned a polo once and that was fine, the only problem being there was no space for a passenger behind me with the seat all the way back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    collit wrote: »
    I'm 6'6" and over the years I have found very few cars that I don't fit into. I owned a polo once and that was fine, the only problem being there was no space for a passenger behind me with the seat all the way in the boot.

:D

I'm tall too so this will be useful to me when I drive lol.
  • RoybandoRoybando Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    A Smart car......
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    No such car. If I were you OP, I'd be looking at some flavour of 1.6 Focus. You can pick up a half-decent one for around a grand.

A Focus is fine but if you have to push the seat all the way back, there isn't much leg room in the back. My other half is tall and one of our cars is a Focus. When he's driving, there's always a rush to get the passenger side rear seat!
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popemobile.

Gah... you go there ahead of me :mad:

How about this one? http://www.toyotaofnaperville.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/00000000000001-Tall-Drivers.jpg
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Volvo. They are made for supermodel, leggy Swedes. We once had one that even with the seat as close to the pedals as possible, I could on use the pedals with my tip toes, as a 5' 6", stumpy legged British female.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand a '77 Honda Civic is the recommended model here :p
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with Vauxhalls. I don't drive one personally but OH has never driven anything else and we've never had a problem with them...Ive had more problems with my Audi

Me too. The (top of the range) Volvo we had broke down so often (and usually within seconds of you hitting a motorway) that my kids called it "The Silver Shit". I have had Vauxhalls ever since and in ten years only one breakdown.:D
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in London and don't have a clue about this thing but I just passed my test at 29 and hope to get a decent looking car that has had a previous owner and problem is I'm abut 6 ft 6 and I've got about £2670 to spend. So half of that will be for a deposit. How much do most people spend on insurance a year and what would be a "cheap" price range for me to look for?

Best "cheap" car for a tall guy IMHO (I'm 6'4") is a Vauxhall Astra. Or it was around 2000 when I had to buy one. Have driven 4x4 since then.

Unless they havechanged significantly - but as someone else pointed out alot of Vauxhalls / GM seem to have good head / leg room.