Options

Renewing Norton 360 - Pricing Issue

13»

Comments

• Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If one is bothered about £30 then it is easy enough to download a new one from Norton's at a standard price. You set autorenewal on and forget about it to save yourself any bother at all. Of course most of us on principle will not want to pay the extra - I certainly don't.

Mind you I do not know why I have 360 at all because I do not use the cloud backup (which is what you get extra). But I get Norton's for every PC because I do not want the bother of being careful surfing and downloading, and occasionally I do want the great technical help given to registered owners - which is the best thing about Norton's. I also like knowing where the virus was caught.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    But I get Norton's for every PC because I do not want the bother of being careful surfing and downloading,

To be honest with you - you are a fool if you are not careful with your surfing and downloading. Any antivirus will only protect you so far and you should always be on your guard.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another year and another irritant from Norton trying to help themselves to £65 for another year's cover on Norton 360. So yet again I disabled the automatic renewal and went looking for the product at a more sensible price elsewhere and have managed to find it for just £24.95p on download from UK Tech Store, a saving of £40!

Amazon had Norton 360 for just £26 on a CD but it went up to £42 on just the download which was infuriating and I couldn't work out why the download would be dearer than something being physically sent in the post.

Yes I'd prefer the easy direct option through Norton/Symantec but trawling around is by far the better option.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Another year and another irritant from Norton trying to help themselves to £65 for another year's cover on Norton 360. So yet again I disabled the automatic renewal and went looking for the product at a more sensible price elsewhere and have managed to find it for just £24.95p on download from UK Tech Store, a saving of £40!

Amazon had Norton 360 for just £26 on a CD but it went up to £42 on just the download which was infuriating and I couldn't work out why the download would be dearer than something being physically sent in the post.

Yes I'd prefer the easy direct option through Norton/Symantec but trawling around is by far the better option.

Car insurance, house insurance, energy companies; they are all the same. If you just renew at the price they quote you, they are ripping you off.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    shhftw wrote: »
    Maybe they might present a core OS that actually does it's job seamlessly and faultlessly.

Pity they didn't realise this in 1995.
    One of the things that has annoys me immensely about modern software is the bloat. Even the items that use a minimal amount of space often present security issues and therfore need to be maintained too. If its something I am never going to use I should be able to opt out of it completely.

In regards to a core OS... the early editions of 95 and NT were what I would call minimal and could be trimmed down even further if you wanted. Out of the box it had no Internet Explorer, no Windows Media Player etc. Ok so they weren't exactly seamless or indeed faultless but the principal was there. Presumably it wasn't what Microsoft felt the masses wanted though as we ended up with the whole drama with Netscape and IE. :(
    shhftw wrote:
    Kaspersky can really screw up machines, just like Norton or McAfee. Having said that, nothing is perfect or a magic bullet.
    Any AV can potentially screw up a machine given the low-level workings of it. We have about 20,000 PCs utilising it in work so I've naturally dealt with a fair few screwed up by Kaspersky (normally due to underlying problems with the machine) but I don't think it was in any way disproportionate to when we used Symantec.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

I have been with Norton for many years now and experienced the same as you with over priced automatic download - they are just seeing what they can get away with. At last automatice renewal (didn't realise it was on auto) I complained about the differing prices and they refunded £30. One year I bought Norton from Amazon for £22 and Norton upgraded it for me! I do like their help forum, there are some great guys/gals on there, sympathetic to probs. and always willing to do their utmost to help. :)
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Best deal i can find on the web today is Norton Internet Security for £22 from PC World.

I am due for renewal at end November.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Best deal i can find on the web today is Norton Internet Security for £22 from PC World.

I am due for renewal at end November.

I think this is the one without back up, but Norton will no doubt upgrade it for you, ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't seriously want to spend one penny with a company that employs such tactics?

Go free.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    To be honest with you - you are a fool if you are not careful with your surfing and downloading. Any antivirus will only protect you so far and you should always be on your guard.

Hmm. Join DS and get deliberate insults. Still I have been called worse in the past, and lived. I never take advice from people who call me a fool though.

At least your remark was I hope intended to be helpful. So I will make another point as well. A PC these days is likely to be used by quite a few people. Wives, husbands, girl friends and boyfriends, children, grandchildren, parents, visitors etc. If yours is and you don't watch them constantly, you probably need better security than if you are a sole user being careful.
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Spain and since being here , I have always used Norton products. When my renewal came up in June this year, I shopped around, found a genuine Norton product on Ebay..paid £12.00...excellent..

Living in a foreign country, it is better to be safe than sorry.