Options

Pirate Johnnie Walker repeated on 6 Music

MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,907
Forum Member
BBC 6 Music is repeating Pirate Johnnie Walker starting at 4 a.m. Saturday March 22 and then nightly. Some episodes are at 1 a.m, all will be on the Iplayer. Schedule here, missing episode 9 which is on their daily schedule page for 4 a.m. March 30, there were 10 episodes, no March 31 listings on the site yet.
http://www.radiotimes.com/programme/cttcxx/johnnie-walker-pirate-radio-show

Comments

• Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Nooooo! It was dreadful and cliched first time around.
  • Options
    G.F.M.G.F.M. Posts: 4,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it. Much better than the offerings of the online R Caroline. Much more energy..much more like the original.
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »

As a Walker fan, I sadly concur. Lets face it, others contributed more to Caroline than Johnnie did. Thinking of Tom Anderson for example.
  • Options
    G.F.M.G.F.M. Posts: 4,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Walker fan, I sadly concur. Lets face it, others contributed more to Caroline than Johnnie did. Thinking of Tom Anderson for example.

Really. Like his restart in 1983. When thousands tuned in, only to tune out again. Whereas JW took us through midnight on the 15th.Aug 1967. I dont think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    G.F.M. wrote: »
    Really. Like his restart in 1983. When thousands tuned in, only to tune out again. Whereas JW took us through midnight on the 15th.Aug 1967. I dont think so.

Or staying on board the Mi Amigo in 1980 until near death? JW (and I do love him) has taken the BBC shilling pretty much since 1969.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    What made it so awful was:
    a) the sound effects when he claimed to be going out on the deck
    b) the BBC announcing at the start of each show that they were only pretending to be on a ship (!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JW (and I do love him) has taken the BBC shilling pretty much since 1969.

He left the BBC in 1976 and rejoined in 1987, left Radio One again in 1995 before doing documentaries and cover in 1997 before getting his weekly and soon weekday shows in 1998 so a fair amount of time outside the BBC.

He signed up as headline DJ for Radio Caroline from the Ross Revenge, which was to be renamed the Imagine and painted pink, in 1982, waited around for a year and a half before deciding it wasn't going to happen according to an interview in Ray Clark's recently released book, in his autobiography he says that when Ronan hired Annie Challis as programme controller, who had produced Gerald Harper at Capital, he started to become disillusioned.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »
    He left the BBC in 1976 and rejoined in 1987, left Radio One again in 1995 before doing documentaries and cover in 1997 before getting his weekly and soon weekday shows in 1998 so a fair amount of time outside the BBC.

He signed up as headline DJ for Radio Caroline from the Ross Revenge, which was to be renamed the Imagine and painted pink, in 1982, waited around for a year and a half before deciding it wasn't going to happen according to an interview in Ray Clark's recently released book, in his autobiography he says that when Ronan hired Annie Challis as programme controller, who had produced Gerald Harper at Capital, he started to become disillusioned.

Didn't he then have a chance meeting with Dave Cash who got him over to Radio West? Or have i got that wrong?

I think Capital offered him a fortune to join them with a near free reign musically when he quit R1 in 76, but he wanted to try the States
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio 2 should give the fantastic Keith Skues a show at the weekend with all things Pirate. Cardboard Shoes does a great show every Sunday on BBC East stations 10pm to 1am. In my view he plays the best cross section of music anywhere on the dial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Didn't he then have a chance meeting with Dave Cash who got him over to Radio West? Or have i got that wrong?

I think Capital offered him a fortune to join them with a near free reign musically when he quit R1 in 76, but he wanted to try the States

According to his autobiography in early 1983, he'd given up on the Caroline idea and was living on the dole. A friend of his Chris Mason working as a promoter for Polydor would often phone him telling him he should call Dave Cash at Radio West. He initially didn't bother but after some more phone calls from Chris he did, went down there and got back on UK radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    According to his autobiography in early 1983, he'd given up on the Caroline idea and was living on the dole. A friend of his Chris Mason working as a promoter for Polydor would often phone him telling him he should call Dave Cash at Radio West. He initially didn't bother but after some more phone calls from Chris he did, went down there and got back on UK radio.

I asked JW about this at one of his "Evening with shows" some years back, he said he was never really serious about going back on Caroline in 1982/3 because too much water (excuse pun) had passed under the bridge. I thought this slightly contradicted autobiog?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I asked JW about this at one of his "Evening with shows" some years back, he said he was never really serious about going back on Caroline in 1982/3 because too much water (excuse pun) had passed under the bridge. I thought this slightly contradicted autobiog?

He spoke to the press about returning at the time, one report said he was going to open the station with Imagine by John Lennon and then broadcast at his former 2100-0000 time slot.

This is Johnnie talking to Event magazine
    http://www.offshoreechos.com/Caroline%2080/accueil80.php?id=4

and on this page if you click the press cutting just above the Wolfman Jack audio there's a long piece with Wolfman and Johnnie interviewed in the New Musical Express.
    http://www.offshoreechos.com/Caroline%2080/accueil80.php?id=1
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What made it so awful was:
    a) the sound effects when he claimed to be going out on the deck
    b) the BBC announcing at the start of each show that they were only pretending to be on a ship (!)

As a big offshore pirate and JW fan, I have to agree with the above. They could have made an interesting programme without pretending they were on a ship.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    I think the show was meant to just be a bit of fun after Russell Brand debacle so probably didn't have a lot of planning.

Always thought JW would have suited Virgin Radio in its first couple of years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I think the show was meant to just be a bit of fun after Russell Brand debacle so probably didn't have a lot of planning.

Always thought JW would have suited Virgin Radio in its first couple of years

Yes I think Virgin would have been a natural fit in 1993/4. He has a running joke that he always seems to get fired because of Chris Evans. Its likely that had he moved to Virgin Radio, CE would have fired him upon taking over :D
  • Options
    radio-roverradio-rover Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a big offshore pirate and JW fan, I have to agree with the above. They could have made an interesting programme without pretending they were on a ship.

Just been listening to the episode where Dave Cash comes aboard from the nearby Radio London!
    its great fun, great music and interesting to hear the stories,

It would be well worth repeating again. at at a reasonable time slot on radio 2.