Options

Most Missed Axed Soap Star

Comments

• Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they weren't happy at an interview she gave. I think it touched upon her husbands Visa issues. I guess the BBC being the BBC they wanted to distance themselves from her.

I'm pretty certain I remember her saying on the day she found out he could stay was the day she found out Heather was being killed off. Talk about a bittersweet day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I'm amazed he wasn't nominated in Villain category, yet Sam James was? :confused: I can't even remember whether he was a villain or not. :D

Terrible that Sam James was nominated in this category and SJS wasn't. Who makes these decisions?

There really is no justice - the Hartmans were rubbish, especially Dexter's parents with a father who had popped out for a pint of milk 20 years ago. Really??!

What a rubbish "villain" character which Sam James definitely wasn't - but Steve John Shepherd undoubtedly was with the role of Michael Moon.

Michael wasn't axed though, SJS quit of his own accord (and who could blame him looking at EE at the time).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be an interesting topic choice, I think.

Here are some suggestions IMO.

EE : Leslie Grantham & Pam St Clement

CS : Peter Baldwin / Steven Arnold & Thelma Barlow / *Jacqueline Pirie

ED : Tom Lister / Matt Healy & **Kelsey Beth Crossley / Hayley Tamaddon

HO : Matt Littler / Bernard Latham & Jodi Albert.

N : Shane Connor & Julie Mullins / Caroline Gilmer.

Thoughts please, are welcome.
    * Not axed. She gave up acting, opened several drama schools under her married name of Jackie Chadwick and moved to Canada.
    ** Not axed. She's a recurring character. Not often, I admit.
    Johnny Briggs (Mike Baldwin)
    Julia Haworth (Claire Peacock)
    Peter Gunn (Brian Packham) (What a complete waste imo)
    Phillip Lowrie (Dennis Tanner)

Wish Ken Barlow's brother David (played by Alan Rothwell) wasn't killed off. Wonder how things would of turned out if he was still alive.

I hated Claire's axing. The Peacock family where a good family unit, and it would of been good to see her cope as a widower with her kids. Pathetic she was written out and the panto Tracy stayed on.
    He's still a cast member.
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Johnny Briggs (Mike Baldwin)
    Julia Haworth (Claire Peacock)
    Peter Gunn (Brian Packham) (What a complete waste imo)
    Phillip Lowrie (Dennis Tanner)

Wish Ken Barlow's brother David (played by Alan Rothwell) wasn't killed off. Wonder how things would of turned out if he was still alive.

I hated Claire's axing. The Peacock family where a good family unit, and it would of been good to see her cope as a widower with her kids. Pathetic she was written out and the panto Tracy stayed on.

Johnny Briggs wasn't axed, was he?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ho- brendan brady, Martha kane, texas longford, justin burton and warren fox
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale - Saint Kathy Glover :( And also Dr. Viv.

Agree that Brian Packham off Corrie was also wasted, as were Glynis Barber and Zoe Lucker in EastEnders.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I think most of the people I missed most on Hollyoaks decided to leave - Brendan, Jacqui, Mitzeee, Amy, Lee, or they were at the end of their stories, like Walker and Silas. But there were a few who got axed who were more background characters, but I really liked them and thought it was such a waste to get rid. Probably people like:

Joel - cracking actor
    The students - Scott, Annalise, Rob and Barney (though I think the actor who played Scott decided to go, and possibly Annalise as well)
    The Kanes - Martha, Callum, Lacey (couldn't stand Ash)- really good believable family.
    Leanne - she was funny and quirky.
    Jim McGinn - the only funny guy the show had left.

Shame.
  • Options
    fi_onafi_ona Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll say it again, and keep on saying it every time anyone asks the question.
    Emmerdales Tom Lister. It didnt make sense then, it still doesnt make sense now.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Briggs wasn't axed, was he?

Yes - shockingly but it was very hush, hush.

I remember a couple of years back this news came out somewhere on DS and something (I can't remember what) confirmed it. Perhaps and interview with a producer? I'm not sure but I do remember it. The story lining team at the time had decided to kill of Mike in a 'long-running story'.

The idea to kill off Mike was certainly generated long before Johnny Briggs showed any interest in leaving. I think that his departure was conveniently wrapped up in the actor's medical need to spend longer periods of time abroad and 'enjoy his retirement'. The production team must've came to some sort of 'agreement' with him but it was definitely ITV who decided to get rid of Mike.

I'm sure that, again, a couple of years ago Johnny said he wished Mike hadn't been killed off.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be an interesting topic choice, I think.

Here are some suggestions IMO.

EE : Leslie Grantham & Pam St Clement

CS : Peter Baldwin / Steven Arnold & Thelma Barlow / Jacqueline Pirie

ED : Tom Lister / Matt Healy & Kelsey Beth Crossley / Hayley Tamaddon

HO : Matt Littler / Bernard Latham & Jodi Albert.

N : Shane Connor & Julie Mullins / Caroline Gilmer.

Thoughts please, are welcome.

Thelma Barlow (Mavis) wasn't axed - she quit due to the direction Brian Park was taking the show and the fact he axed Peter Baldwin (Derek).
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ho- brendan brady, Martha kane, texas longford, justin burton and warren fox

Brendan wasn't axed or Justin and I don't think Texas was either but I do miss Martha.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has to be Andy O'Brian from Eastenders!

He never got a chance to fully develop with his girlfriend Debbie!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always liked Nicola Stapleton and Pam St.Clement-I didn't know that they were both axed
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couple of observations.

If David Barlow hadn't been killed off, us 70's schoolkids wouldn't have got Alan Rothwell presenting Picture Box.

It was a good job Phillip Lowrie was around, else, apart from a reclusive Eileen Derbyshire, no other actor would have been able to comment on Corrie's early days on the 50th anniversary.

(Wonder if Eileen would've 'stepped up to the mark' if Phillip hadn't been there?)
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I really miss Brendan Brady in HO. It has really done down hill in the last year I'm sorry to say.

I'm also missing Michael Moon in EE. He was a panto villain at times but at least demonstrated that the character had light and shade. Not wooden like the dreary Alice.

There are quite a few I Corrie I'd LIKE to leave!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    .** Scarlett King (Emmerdale) was not axed. She's a recurring character. Not often, I admit.

Don't know where you got that from but it is totally wrong. She WAS axed and came back for a one-off guest stint last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    Don't know where you got that from but it is totally wrong. She WAS axed and came back for a one-off guest stint last year.

Most likely has been too busy doing The Voice since leaving ED, as well, I would say.

Has other fish to fry - like her singing career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fi_ona wrote: »
    I'll say it again, and keep on saying it every time anyone asks the question.
    Emmerdales Tom Lister. It didnt make sense then, it still doesnt make sense now.
    It did make sense. He was little more than an expensive talking (sometimes) extra except when they dredged Chas up for him again......and again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It did make sense. He was little more than an expensive talking (sometimes) extra except when they dredged Chas up for him again......and again.

Which beggars the question, then why not get rid of Chas instead?

They have got rid of Dingles before - Gennie, Butch, Alice etc.

Still think it was a shameless attempt by SB to attempt to boost ratings in the live episode IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which beggars the question, then why not get rid of Chas instead?

They have got rid of Dingles before - Gennie, Butch, Alice etc.

Still think it was a shameless attempt by SB to attempt to boost ratings in the live episode IMO.

Gennie (Sian-Reese Williams) and Butch (Paul Loughran) were not 'got rid of'; they decided to leave. I agree though that Chas should have gone over Tom Lister, and that axing Carl was a shameless ratings grabber. But when did that ever stop SB, eh? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gennie (Sian-Reese Williams) and Butch (Paul Loughran) were not 'got rid of'; they decided to leave. I agree though that Chas should have gone over Tom Lister, and that axing Carl was a shameless ratings grabber. But when did that ever stop SB, eh? ;-)

Exactly - agree with this - cool.

SB may have had his own agenda going on at the time - and also there's no doubt, of course, that Tom Lister would have been expensive to keep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - agree with this - cool.

SB may have had his own agenda going on at the time - and also there's no doubt, of course, that Tom Lister would have been expensive to keep.

Yes, that could definitely be a factor. But Tom Lister was the best actor on Emmerdale, possibly the show's best ever actor. He wanted to stay for many more years, which makes it triply annoying, Blackburn! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh really?
    Stuart Blackburn wasn't the producer then. He'd been gone for 5 months when her 'leaving' was announced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh really?
    Stuart Blackburn wasn't the producer then. He'd been gone for 5 months when her 'leaving' was announced.

I never said Stuart Blackburn was the producer when Sian-Reese Williams decided to leave. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that could definitely be a factor. But Tom Lister was the best actor on Emmerdale, possibly the show's best ever actor. He wanted to stay for many more years, which makes it triply annoying, Blackburn! >:(

Well definitely - undoubtedly the best actor at the time - or one of them, certainly.

Which was why I was so surprised at the time when I heard he'd be leaving - wouldn't have seen that coming TBH - a real shocker IMO (the last person I'd have though of).

Lister was equally shocked when he was told that that was it (that it was curtains) - as he said in interviews at the time it had been the best part of 10 years and also as you say, that he was very far from being ready to go.

Such a long-serving character from a great screen family, who were billed to be the next Tates which ED desperately needed back in 2004 - was a big shock at the time.

Quadruple annoyance @ Blackburn - very shortsighted IMO - though Lister did imply that Carl needed to get his comeuppance at some stage (don't buy that though, it was just shameless from TPTB IMO).