Options

Caroline North RSL

Comments

• Options
    William128William128 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ,,, looks like Terry Lennaine from Radio City - in the chair now, spinnin the plastic...
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,903
    Forum Member
    dave1152 wrote: »
    why don't they say they are having problems - as it stands it is just a lame old jukebox.

They have been posting some updates on their Facebook page.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they have not. Last update from them was 18 hours ago.
    Still no mention of a stream on the web site
    Its been left up to others to provide the url or alternate stream.
    its time to pull the plug NOW
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Is what we hear on the streams the same as the output on 87.7 in the Liverpool area?
    Regards
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    Well, Rolling on a river has just been on, now The Young Ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If you had bothered to read the original question and my response, with the word "some" deliberately used, rather than constantly posting on messageboards and Facebook with your anger, you would have seen that my statement was correct, they have apologised for technical issues on Facebook and publicised the alternative streams put up. They have also been doing this on their Twitter feed.

Perhaps you could answer the questions posed earlier to another critic who wants the station to close down immediately, and presumably take the financial loss to themselves and charities.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72007222&postcount=73

I have had no experience of setting up RSL's so look forward to your response.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, Rolling on a river has just been on, now The Young Ones.

Monkees "A liitle bit you a little bit me " right now
    Regards
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point being made by others is why did they wait till the RSL to set up an internet stream.
    this could have been done weeks ago.
    The internet only station theradioship officially launches on 19 April but the stream has been running for a few weeks already.
    Anyone can start a station in a number of ways. Example www.radionomy.com

If anyone is interested the station is available on the Tunein web site

Look for radioxanadu who are providing a standby stream
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The point being made by others is why did they wait till the RSL to set up an internet stream.
    this could have been done weeks ago.
    The internet only station theradioship officially launches on 19 April but the stream has been running for a few weeks already.
    Anyone can start a station in a number of ways. Example www.radionomy.com

Radionomy is an internet site where you have to use their library of 80,000 songs, which they say is licenced plus a specified amount of material which you have bought and have copyright to broadcast, plus you have to use their own news service and adverts. How is this relevant to an RSL rather than paying your own PRS and PPL, using the music you want and doing your own sponsorship and advertising. What relevance has TheRadioShip to an RSL?

And as asked before please detail your experience since you are calling for them to close.

One of the problems has been the link that Ofcom put in. I think I read somewhere that they haven't had access to the ship that far in advance. Whatever internet stream that was put on before the broadcast couldn't have necessarily solved the technical problems of linking from a studio on a ship to a transmitter in Birkenhead.
  • Options
    MrRayDOMrRayDO Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thank you for the stream you have got going .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Webcam of studio and surrounding area.
    http://www.wirralcam.org/carolinenorth.shtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Radionomy is an internet site where you have to use their library of 80,000 songs, which they say is licenced plus a specified amount of material which you have bought and have copyright to broadcast, plus you have to use their own news service and adverts. How is this relevant to an RSL rather than paying your own PRS and PPL, using the music you want and doing your own sponsorship and advertising. What relevance has TheRadioShip to an RSL?

And as asked before please detail your experience since you are calling for them to close.

One of the problems has been the link that Ofcom put in. I think I read somewhere that they haven't had access to the ship that far in advance. Whatever internet stream that was put on before the broadcast couldn't have necessarily solved the technical problems of linking from a studio on a ship to a transmitter in Birkenhead.

its not looking good for caroline north and most of the none stop music is nothing to do with 64 to 68 . at this time it just sounds like a bed room station with a offshore radio NAME .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this none stop music which i can hear online ,is it the same as FM. thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrRayDO wrote: »
    its not looking good for caroline north and most of the none stop music is nothing to do with 64 to 68 . at this time it just sounds like a bed room station with a offshore radio NAME .

There was quite a lot of 64 to 68 music when I listened last night and not just the usual stuff, Baby I Need Your Loving but by Johnny Rivers rather than The Four Tops for example. However the previous time I listened for 15 minutes it was largely 70s and 80s.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was quite a lot of 64 to 68 music when I listened last night and not just the usual stuff, Baby I Need Your Loving but by Johnny Rivers rather than The Four Tops for example. However the previous time I listened for 15 minutes it was largely 70s and 80s.

When I listened earlier, there was back-to-back music with the occasional jingle or Caroline bell, but the three songs I heard struck me as a strange mix:

Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
    Paul & Paula - Hey Paula
    Heart - Magic Man

I like the Jose Feliciano/Doors cover, but as a three-in-a-row those songs do not work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    this none stop music which i can hear online ,is it the same as FM. thanks

Why have you posted the same question as mine in post # 81?
    You obviously don't bother to read previous posts.

Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oscar1 wrote: »
    Why have you posted the same question as mine in post # 81?
    You obviously don't bother to read previous posts.

Regards

must have missed a page in here where your post was lol . well is it ? lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yesterday was good .
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the non stop music is nothing to do with 64 to 68, at this time it just sounds like a bed room station with a offshore radio NAME .
    Exactly !

At the moment it might just as well be called Word War II Radio, Apollo 11 Moon Landing Radio or Rubik Cube Radio because it has just as much (= nothing) to do with any of those topics ! :D

The new jingles are very good, but otherwise it's just passing itself off as Caroline North.

The point at issue is that it's not a particularly good idea to try to revive an old station name: it raises expectations that cannot realistically be met, so at best the glass will be half empty. Far better to say it's a tribute / anniversary station but call it something different, e.g. Lightship Radio, then whatever you get is a bonus, not a disappointment. That principle works / worked well (e.g. Oldies Project, Radio Sovereign, Red Sands Radio, Pirate BBC Essex) which are/were brilliant, whereas others such as 1395 Radio London / Big L were seldom if ever convincing.

With the name Caroline North, I'd have had a strict rule that nothing released before July 63 (to allow the odd flashback) or after 3 March 68 would have been played. That's 56 months' worth, which on a 28-day RSL could have been featured in chronological order at two months per day. Then at least it would have been distinctive and been worth tuning back again each day.

Whether heard on 87.7 or online, it needs to be something special. If I'd set a car radio to scan the FM band for 10 seconds at a time I'd have just let it keep going, thinking it was R2, Heart or some faceless ILR. If I hadn't seen the webcam, I'd have thought it was completely unattended, especially when there are obvious howlers such as the TOTH ID crashing in and killing the current track after only a few seconds.

Let's hope they sort all the problems out sooner rather than later...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Facebook update just posted:

Hi everyone , we are really sorry for the past few days, you would not believe how many problems we have had. Firstly, there were problems with the FM link to the transmitter, followed by numerous other issues with studios . Ofcom will not allow us to test beforehand which has not helped matters...

and then our organiser, John Dwyer was taken ill yesterday and had to be taken off the ship. You will be pleased to hear that his health has improved today.

We are now pleased to announce that full programming will commence from tomorrow . We really do apologise for what's happened but it has all been beyond our control. sorry!

To our important advertisers, we will be giving you extra exposure when we get up and running.

I will let you know when the webstream goes live ( tonight )

Thanks for your patience.

https://www.facebook.com/carolinenorthliverpool
  • Options
    William128William128 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope John Dwyer is ok!
    From the Caroline North Facebook page - posted at 17:54hrs

"Radio Caroline North Liverpool
    Hi everyone , we are really sorry for the past few days, you would not believe how many problems we have had. Firstly, there were problems with the FM link to the transmitter, followed by numerous other issues with studios . Ofcom will not allow us to test beforehand which has not helped matters...

and then our organiser, John Dwyer was taken ill yesterday and had to be taken off the ship. You will be pleased to hear that his health has improved today.

We are now pleased to announce that full programming will commence from tomorrow . We really do apologise for what's happened but it has all been beyond our control. sorry!

To our important advertisers, we will be giving you extra exposure when we get up and running.

I will let you know when the webstream goes live ( tonight )

Thanks for your patience."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stream links now up and running on www.carolinenorth.com
    Regards
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turns out it was the wrong stream ! :confused:

Seems to have been Merseyland Alternative Radio.

There were several apology announcements asking listeners to go back to the Caroline North website and click the link again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Took off my headphones for 5 minutes and something totally different when I put them back on !!!
    Now just announced as Radio Caroline North again.
    Good here --- just like the good old days without having to swing the radio dial knob !!
    Regards
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to be positive about " Caroline North " but I have just gave them a listen just to hear another two songs, The Pointer Sisters Automatic & Prince Purple Rain? Hardly Caroline North not good is it :(