Parents who deliberately starve children of love face jail under new government Law

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proposed legislation is deliberate abuse that causes harm. That is a child that exhibits severe and persistent adverse effects on its emotional development and a parent that is behaving with the premeditated intention to harm that child and is terrorising or exploiting or corrupting or rejecting or isolating that child. In those circumstances I see nothing wrong with intervention by the state.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proposed legislation is deliberate abuse that causes harm. That is a child that exhibits severe and persistent adverse effects on its emotional development and a parent that is behaving with the premeditated intention to harm that child and is terrorising or exploiting or corrupting or rejecting or isolating that child. In those circumstances I see nothing wrong with intervention by the state.

All of which is very subjective and difficult to quantify.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is 'tough love' about to become a crime?
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this law is a good idea. People don't understand what it means. I understand what they means perfectly. Emotional abuse is the parent bullying the child and or manipulating them, using them and not treating them like a human being. It's not about not being allowed to punish a child. And every parent slips up and says something they regret to their child, that is not emotional abuse.

I read a book recently about a boy who was clearly emotionally abused. His mother berated him for not being able to speak, shouted at for making mistakes, never took him out anywhere, and locked him in his room alone for long periods of time. But he was cared for in every other way. nice clothes, good food, the best toys money could buy.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The law will mean that people like that woman will have to answer for their crimes. And I did feel sorry for her because she had post natal depression. But she should have sought help for her son and herself instead of letting it get that far.
    The proffesionals weren't able to intervene because she hadn't broken the law.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Is 'tough love' about to become a crime?

That could see IDS doing time - so pretty unlikely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The law will mean that people like that woman will have to answer for their crimes. And I did feel sorry for her because she had post natal depression. But she should have sought help for her son and herself instead of letting it get that far.
    The proffesionals weren't able to intervene because she hadn't broken the law.

It's interesting that this a law that will possibly affect women more than men.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Not only that it's another tier of mitigating evidence for a persons actions should said actions find them up infront of the beak.

It's fair to say that mental as well as physical abuse is wrong, but as far as legislating against it goes .....

...subjective minefield at best.

It's already a factor in child protection. If the civil law can interpret it effectively, I don't see why the criminal law can't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    If the civil law can interpret it effectively, I don't see why the criminal law can't.

Well why not just make all civil law the same as criminal law then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    It's already a factor in child protection. If the civil law can interpret it effectively, I don't see why the criminal law can't.

Civil law focuses on protecting the child, rather than punishing the parents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    So what next?

ATOS style staff on maternity wards dispensing the Love Capability Test?

Sounds like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New law comes into force

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35192256
    The legislation will target those who subject spouses, partners and family members to psychological and emotional torment
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well-meaning but it's going to be abused, ironic really.

How about a law that criminalises the abuses of the state against the individual?