Options

Cameron will have to resign if Scotland votes for independence says Tories

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
David Cameron will have to resign if Scotland votes for independence, according to some Tories

Senior Tories warn he could go down in history as PM who lost the union

Privately many Tories believe his position will be untenable if voters back independence.

A minister said: ‘It would be very difficult because he would go down in history as the Prime Minister who lost the union.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2595963/Will-Cameron-resign-Scottish-independence-Pressure-PM-Tories-demand-Scots-banned-general-election.html#ixzz2xprn0trA

Worrying times for Cameron.

On course for defeat at the general election... if he makes it that far.

If the Tories poll position doesn't improve between now and near the election, I wouldn't be totally surprised (if the Scotland vote for independence) if something like this was used as an excuse to out him.

Comments

• Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    David Cameron will have to resign if Scotland votes for independence, according to some Tories

Privately many Tories believe his position will be untenable if voters back independence.

A minister said: ‘It would be very difficult because he would go down in history as the Prime Minister who lost the union.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2595963/Will-Cameron-resign-Scottish-independence-Pressure-PM-Tories-demand-Scots-banned-general-election.html#ixzz2xprn0trA

If the Tories poll position doesn't improve between now and near the election, I wouldn't be totally surprised (if the Scotland vote for independence) if something like this was used as an excuse to out him.
    Goodness me this news may well encourage some scots to be very mischevious indeed!!:D
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

If the Tories poll position doesn't improve between now and near the election, I wouldn't be totally surprised if something like this was used as an excuse to out him.

On the other hand if Scotland votes for independence it makes the job of the Conservatives easier, since they got more seats in England and Wales than Labour. So at least as much Labour need the Scottish to vote against Independence.

That said what is known as the West Lothian Question although known about for years only gained an urgency when a certain Anthony Blair decided that his government would offer the devolved assemblies.
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland exiting the union would be the best thing to ever happen to the Tory party electorally. Losing all those guaranteed Labour seats would be a bonus.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one would love to see that happen! :D
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the other hand if Scotland votes for independence it makes the job of the Conservatives easier, since they got more seats in England and Wales than Labour. So at least as much Labour need the Scottish to vote against Independence.

That said what is known as the West Lothian Question although known about for years only gained an urgency when a certain Anthony Blair decided that his government would offer the devolved assemblies.

Common misconception. Labour have never needed Scotland in order to form governments. Scotland simply needs England to share its views if Scotland wants a Labour government.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Common misconception. Labour have never needed Scotland in order to form governments. Scotland simply needs England to share its views if Scotland wants a Labour government.

Eh? That makes no sense.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »

They might not need them but 41 Labour seats lost in Scotland against 1 Conservative will be a hammer blow.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

On the other hand he might be cheered as a hero for ridding our Parliament of the 41 present Labour M.P.s representing Scottish constituencies.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Goodness me this news may well encourage some scots to be very mischevious indeed!!:D
    One of the beast reasons so far for voting yes:D
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only in your dreams Jol and only if you ignore historical polling trends prior to the election - right now everyone is talking about Labour losing. Kudos for being the one person in the country who isn't.

However, on the issue of Cameron resigning, I would hope if Scotland votes for independence he would do so immediately. I'm totally in agreement that his position would be untenable.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Only in your dreams Jol and only if you ignore historical polling trends prior to the election - right now everyone is talking about Labour losing. Kudos for being the one person in the country who isn't.

However, on the issue of Cameron resigning, I would hope if Scotland votes for independence he would do so immediately. I'm totally in agreement that his position would be untenable.

'Everyone' is talking about Labour losing the election.' Are they? If you look at the betting markets, reflective of the people who'll put cold hard cash on the line, it doesn't reflect that at all. They still give Labour a better chance than the Tories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really?

Who are favourites in the betting to get the most seats?
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

Few if any governments increase their number of seats after a term in office so I cant see the tories winning a majority and I cant see the Lib Dems electorally surviving another Tory coalition -I think it would be political suicide.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member

As would the leaders of all political parties that have formally supported Better Together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You watch, as the election gets closer, if the polling doesn't change, those Tories are going to start to get restless.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition we would have the ability to deport him as an undesirable alien. After watching his clichéd performance on BBC news this morning that would be a very good thing.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?

Who are favourites in the betting to get the most seats?

Yes, really. There have been any number of articles about Labour's polling number tumbling, dissension in Labour's ranks and Labour on course to lose. And as you know full well, I couldn't give a stuff about the current betting or the mid-term polls. They're only relevant in terms of how they track against themselves and are not indicative of the final outcome.

As you will come to see.... :)
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, really. There have been any number of articles about Labour's polling number tumbling, dissension in Labour's ranks and Labour on course to lose. And as you know full well, I couldn't give a stuff about the current betting or the mid-term polls. They're only relevant in terms of how they track against themselves and are not indicative of the final outcome.

As you will come to see.... :)

Only mentioned in the right wing press curiously. I wonder why that is?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Only mentioned in the right wing press curiously. I wonder why that is?

Because the left wing press are in denial mode?
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh? That makes no sense.

How so? Scotland (for whatever reason) largely votes Labour in UK GEs. However, unless England (the largest voting block) also shows a majority desire for a Labour government, we don't get one. Historically, when Labour have got into government, it has been because they managed to get a majority based on English votes, and they would have still formed a government even with Scotland removed from the equation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Because the left wing press are in denial mode?

Or perhaps the right wing press is in denial mode? You can get generous odds on the Tories in seat betting markets, why aren't people going for it?

If you look at Obama's re-election in the States it's clear the Republicans were expecting to win. The polls said otherwise but they were watching Fox News etc who were telling them a different story.

If the Tories can't get a lead of 3% over Labour, Cameron's chances of staying PM are very slim. Of course the Scottish referendum could blow the whole picture out of the water, so who knows. But Labour are favourites still.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how any PM could be held responsible for a country wishing to break away and become independent, off the top of my head I can't remember who was PM when Ireland broke away, never mind USA or India.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    The more the Torys' improve their poll ratings and elections chances over the coming months the more likely it'll add thousands, if not tens of thousands, to the SNP yes vote.

Ironic that an improving Tory party in England, which he (cameron) needs to win to next election, could see him lose Scotland/The Union, but that in turn would lose him his job in England giving someone, maybe Boris, an easy opportunity at being PM?

It might be quite a scary thought for a lot of Scots if they were to say no and it strengthening his position going into 2015. But then again why should he take the blame or the credit for anything as the 'better together' campaign is Alistair Darling's baby?
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how any PM could be held responsible for a country wishing to break away and become independent, off the top of my head I can't remember who was PM when Ireland broke away, never mind USA or India.

Clement Attlee was PM in 1947 when India gained independence. He didn't resign but he lost the next election to Churchill. However, there was an awful lot going on around that time and after the 2nd WW keeping India probably wasn't a vote winning issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »

Lord North was PM during the American revolution and he's generally regarded as one of the worst PMs ever. Politicians had for a generation considered how to deal with the Irish problem, so it was no surprise when it went independent. As for India, it was part of the British Empire which was no longer affordable after world war 2. I think a lot of people could see by then that having 100,000 Brits ruling 300 million Indians was not really sustainable.