Options

What can be down to improve the interest in the live shows of the voice

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
It's been better this year compared to previous years but it still seems rather flat.

Live show 2 wasn't fantastic a lot of bland performances .

Do we need more live shows, more public involvement although you can't really trust the public with too much voting stuff

Comments

• Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2nd live shows were fantastic in my opinion. I enjoyed the majority of the performances, including the group performances with the coaches.

I feel like there does need to be more live shows, perhaps a bit earlier in the competition. I reckon a lot of people are a little bitter about the lives, because their favourite was already eliminated by their coach and there wasn't really anything they can do about it. It never feels quite right to see your favourite eliminated by somebody other than the public. It suggests they never got a fair crack, because their fate was in the hands of 1 person, rather than a couple million.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    The 2nd live shows were fantastic in my opinion. I enjoyed the majority of the performances, including the group performances with the coaches.

I feel like there does need to be more live shows, perhaps a bit earlier in the competition. I reckon a lot of people are a little bitter about the lives, because their favourite was already eliminated by their coach and there wasn't really anything they can do about it. It never feels quite right to see your favourite eliminated by somebody other than the public. It suggests they never got a fair crack, because their fate was in the hands of 1 person, rather than a couple million.

I agree the singing with the mentors was the best bit although kylie wasn't great
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giving the place some atmosphere? The awkward silence in the studio is just god

Perhaps have the coaches chairs turned during the performance?
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Giving the place some atmosphere? The awkward silence in the studio is just god

Perhaps have the coaches chairs turned during the performance?

But how would that work? I think next year the viewers should be able to pick who goes through starting in the knockouts like the Voice US?
  • Options
    NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But how would that work? I think next year the viewers should be able to pick who goes through starting in the knockouts like the Voice US?

No the US doesn't do that. The US goes knockouts normal this year knockouts have been scrapped and it's battles round 2

Then live playoffs then live audience votes any two from any team go each week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the coaches I feel like Tom should be replaced to be honest legend yes. Just so awkward our panel feels less cool now I mean I prefer it to Danny and Jessie but it feels VERY old now. Minus will and ricky they are fine. And yes the atmosphere is a bit... Stale
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niiiiiiik wrote: »
    No the US doesn't do that. The US goes knockouts normal this year knockouts have been scrapped and it's battles round 2

Then live playoffs then live audience votes any two from any team go each week

Really I could have sworn that used to happen.
  • Options
    DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only three live shows kills it
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop filming in a dark studio with a pumped-up crowd and supposed drama. Daylight and open air and a smaller crowd would be more lively and involving, IMO. Or a smaller venue at any rate. Or perhaps change the venues as they go... (How well do the singers engage with different kinds of audience?)

Make the feedback realistic and honest. It is possible to be critical without cruelty and it would bridge the faint sense of unreality that begins with the Lives.

Get rid of voting.* We're idiots. The judges are too but I wonder how far the judges' fear of our idiocy forced their hands in making earlier selections.

Don't give the singers make-overs.

Keep the band -- they're fantastic.

* Let us vote once to return a singer from any stage of the competition to the final
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American idol actually used to (don't know if they still do) change the finale stage to a theatre in New York amazing atmosphere the voice should change finale scene
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that they waste so much time on stupid chats with the judges and contestants to fill up the time where ad breaks would be on an ITV show. The v room is completely pointless now we have a spin off show where we can learn about the contestants. I like the XFactor live shows as it feels more fast paced even thought their live shows are the same length because they have the ad breaks and only briefly chat to contestants and judges as they have the xtra factor straight after. If the voice shortened the live shows to 1hr 10 minutes it would be better.

To be fair, even though it is a bit over the top, the entrance of dermot and the judges at the beginning helps it feel like more of an event and you feel excited about what is to come with the dramatic music but the voice just kind of starts like any other show. The XF staging is also superior, although I prefer the voices live band.

I agree too that we need more honest comments, I feel like I can guess what the judges will say before they say it i.e. they will all say it is great, regardless of how it really was. I thought that Georgias performance was really bad and she struggled but the judges all said it was great except will. I agree with the person who posted a thread saying everything was too positive all the time. I don't expect the judges to rip the contestants apart but a bit of honest and constructive criticism is needed to create a debate. That is one thing the XF excels at, whatever you think of them, the XF judges created talking points with their comments and they get people shouting at their TV and encourage debate on social media and in newspapers. I also don't like how Emma asks the judges for their comments by saying 'oh Jamie has improved hasn't he?' as I feel that the judges find it harder to say otherwise. I prefer the way XF does it by having the judges commenting freely and then allowing dermott and the contestants to challenge them.

One area where the voice beats XF is that the talent it stronger and the song choices are more diverse. In three series, we have rarely heard the same songs twice but in XF we hear the same song multiple times in the one series. Last year we heard 'I won't give up' by Jason Mraz at least three times, we heard Listen by Beyonce twice too and we heard both these songs in previous series, the latter should never be sung again as nobody will top Beyonce and Alex's version on the show. There always seems to be someone who sings purple rain (shouldn't be done, Ruth's won't be topped), relight my fire and one by U2 seem to be popular on the show too.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the contestants sing two totally contrasting songs. One the usual belt it out and get the studio audience to make enough noise to drown out any imperfections. The other to be a gentle, slow and quiet ballad to be sung straight with no vocal gymnastics. Just to hear the actual quality and technique on offer.