Options

Is EastEnders too White?

Comments

• Options
    HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a programme that's supposed to be slap-bang in the middle of Tower Hamlets and Newham, yes.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're keeping hold of whatever non-white characters they can. If EastEnders is too white, why does everyone want to get rid of Fatboy, Dexter, Tamwar and Morgan?

It was a shame that Ava left as her and Cora weren't properly explored, but Sam had to go. Gus and Juley seemed to bore people and the Ferreriras were a flop after their big storyline had to be shelved (as the actor who played Dan was deported.) I think they should have recast him instead of going with kidneygate, but there we go.

Chelsea Fox is another one that people don't seem to want back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Neighbours brought in the Kapoors but they were axed apparently...

When I think about it, Home and Away and Neighbours should have at least a few Irish and English characters. Seeing as the amount of Irish and British immigrants in Australia.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    When I think about it, Home and Away and Neighbours should have at least a few Irish and English characters? Seeing as the amount of Irish and British immigrants in Australia.

How many Aboriginal characters are in Australian soaps? After having their culture and populaton decimated they only make up 2% of the Australian population but still....
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    They're keeping hold of whatever non-white characters they can. If EastEnders is too white, why does everyone want to get rid of Fatboy, Dexter, Tamwar and Morgan?

It was a shame that Ava left as her and Cora weren't properly explored, but Sam had to go. Gus and Juley seemed to bore people and the Ferreriras were a flop after their big storyline had to be shelved (as the actor who played Dan was deported.) I think they should have recast him instead of going with kidneygate, but there we go.

Chelsea Fox is another one that people don't seem to want back.

Brilliant post. They need to show the same investment as they have with the Carters and initially the Masoods.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there still parts of the East End that are predominently white working class? We're looking at one Square and its surrounding streets so I'd imagine it's entirely possible that it does reflect certain neighbourhoods.

That said, I'd like a little more diversity amongst the cast - not for political correctness - but as that would make the programme more interesting.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they bringing boring Libby back, Chelsea would have been a better option especially with Deano back on the Square.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Whose is the dog with Stan and where's Aunt Babe?

The dog with Stan is the Branning's dog, Tramp.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Why are they bringing boring Libby back, Chelsea would have been a better option especially with Deano back on the Square.

Chelsea and Libby were both boring- I would bring in Ada, Daphne and her kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there still parts of the East End that are predominently white working class? We're looking at one Square and its surrounding streets so I'd imagine it's entirely possible that it does reflect certain neighbourhoods.

That said, I'd like a little more diversity amongst the cast - not for political correctness - but as that would make the programme more interesting.

East End Squares today are primarily White but White Professionals, there are still white working class living in the East End but many moved out to suburbs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »

Isn't Libby only back for a few episodes? Yeah, I agree with you on Chelsea she always breathed a lot of life into the Fox clan, as did Kim.

The Fox family just aren't the same without Chelsea and Kim. Denise is no longer as interesting as she used to be since she got with Ian :(.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Libby only back for a few episodes? Yeah, I agree with you on Chelsea she always breathed a lot of life into the Fox clan, as did Kim.

The Fox family just aren't the same without Chelsea and Kim. Denise is no longer as interesting as she used to be since she got with Ian :(.

I liked Chelsea. Libby was more entertaining than any of the "hunks" they inflicted on us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    For all some people occasionally complain about other posters on here (a minority), had this thread been posted in the General Discussion or Politics section of DS the racist bigots would have hijacked this thread by now.

To answer the original question I think that if EastEnders wants to represent the modern East End then it could be more multicultural.

Yes, you can just imagine them flinging their Daily Mail down in disgust! :D
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Characters shouldn't just be drafted in because they are a certain colour of skin, that alone in my eyes is something that's racist. If they're good actors then they're good actors, bringing in characters just for the sake of their skin colour and culture brings us characters like that awful Ferreira family. I agree with extras because London is far more multicultural than it appears in Eastenders but just in my opinion ethnic characters should be drafted in on their acting talent, not the colour of their skin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point. The Foxes and Masoods fit beautifully. The likes of Ray, Ferreiras, Gus, Juley were awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ada Fox really should be cast - Denise needs a storyline of her own and we know nothing about Ada- I would cast Dona Croll in the role of Ada.

Who could play Daphne?
  • Options
    Paul_Andrews1Paul_Andrews1 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    No point bringing in black people or any other non white actors just for the sake of it. The actors need to be good enough and they need to have a good enough story for them

Dom from ED is available shortly!!
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope dtc brings her back. Completely agree about Denise, she needs a sl for too long she has either been shoved into the background or been given dull relationship sls.
    It's obvious she is being sidelined for Jane, at the beginning I liked Ian/Denise now I'm not a fan.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not this again. This same thread pops up every few weeks.

Eastenders is not representative of the East End which is more multicultural but it is representative of the audience watching the show. Outside of the major cities the vast majority of the population is still white. If the producers of the show had a whole cast of people from other countries talking in other languages it is pretty likely that a large proportion of those viewers would switch off as they couldn't identify with it anymore. That is the reason that EE does not reflect the real east end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Yes, you can just imagine them flinging their Daily Mail down in disgust! :D

They should just stick to Midsomer Murders or Rosmary and Thyme then.

;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

Eastenders is not representative of the East End which is more multicultural but it is representative of the audience watching the show. Outside of the major cities the vast majority of the population is still white. If the producers of the show had a whole cast of people from other countries talking in other languages it is pretty likely that a large proportion of those viewers would switch off as they couldn't identify with it anymore. That is the reason that EE does not reflect the real east end.

They'd switch off because of ethnic minorities and cultural diversity? If they can't cope with the real world and London in the 21st century then that's their problem isn't it?

I don't think that the British population is as racist as you're making out.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    They'd switch off because of ethnic minorities and cultural diversity? If they can't cope with the real world and London in the 21st century then that's their problem isn't it?

I don't think that the British population is as racist as you're making out.

I think what was said was, they'd switch off because they "couldn't identify with it anymore". What makes British soaps so appealing is the fact that you can watch it and see an aspect of your reality in the show, but because they've sort of kept it frozen for so long to please a dying generation that nobody can now look at EastEnders and go "They remind me me of the [so and sos] next door"
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

BIB Many, many non white people are born in this country. They are British. Why would the non white people in EE be speaking in other languages on EE? Would you expect subtitles? :confused: It is based in a city where a large number of people are not white. The point of the OP's post is that EE isn't reflective of real inner city life. I don't think people will switch off if there were more black and Asian faces. Obviously there are foreign people here too but there are many British non white people in this country.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Answer: no.

If you spend your time trying to squeeze multicultural characters in to the show for the sake of having another multicultural character, then you would be othering the characters in the same way that they would be othered if there was just one black character.

Characters should occur naturally. Take the last five recruits - An Eastern-European, a Mixed Race young woman, Two older people and a disabled person. If that's not diverse...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what was said was, they'd switch off because they "couldn't identify with it anymore". What makes British soaps so appealing is the fact that you can watch it and see an aspect of your reality in the show, but because they've sort of kept it frozen for so long to please a dying generation that nobody can now look at EastEnders and go "They remind me me of the [so and sos] next door"

I know what was said, but what about what was implied?

Society evolves and if people can't cope with that they get left behind. I say that they should take the risk and make it more modern and reflective of London today.