EE - Denise Crying

Robert_WhippyRobert_Whippy Posts: 2,609
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When Denise was in the kitchen and she started to sob. I wonder if she was upset because she now has to wait even longer to leave Ian.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I thought. She can't leave him now.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I thought she was supposed to be a good actress :confused: She was dreadful tonight.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There might have been an element of that but I think it was mainly due to hearing Ian tell the children. There was a bit were the kids could be heard really sobbing, sobbing so much Ian couldn't really say much more, and her face just crumpled up at hearing it.
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    I got the feeling that she was partly crying because she feels obliged to stay and was set to leave. We know she tries to leave again this week so it is obviously still big on her mind despite watching the Beale's crumble. Denise would definitely feel guilty about feeling that way, almost like she is being selfish and she will probably acknowledge this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was supposed to be a good actress :confused: She was dreadful tonight.

Tbh I was a bit surprised at how relatively dry-eyed both her and Jane were. I hope they had them intentionally hold back, let's say due to shock, and let tonight's episode be about a dad and brother's grief and we'll see more from them in later episodes as the reality sinks in. I'd be surprised if that's the best we get from two such fantastic actresses.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was guilt at having been ready to leave Ian, being overwhelmed by the kids' reactions. Diane Parish was great tonight as were Laurie, Adam and Ben.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rain wrote: »
    I got the feeling that she was partly crying because she feels obliged to stay and was set to leave. We know she tries to leave again this week so it is obviously still big on her mind despite watching the Beale's crumble. Denise would definitely feel guilty about feeling that way, almost like she is being selfish and she will probably acknowledge this.

:o She doesn't?! I mean, I feel for her and all but still...you wouldn't, you just wouldn't. Not yet. :(
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is just in a terrible situation that has just gotten worse.

She wants to leave Ian but she can't since his daughter just died. Any normal person would feel overwhelmed with guilt that they want to leave Ian but at the same time, she doesn't want to stay in a loveless relationship.

She and Lucy got on as well so I am sure she is sad she died, plus she probably feels sorry for Ian as Denise has had her fair share of scares in regards to her daughters lives.

It ain't as straightforward as her being sad because she can't leave Ian now. It's not a nice situation.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Denise and Jane weren't more upset. I hope that it was intended that way so they'd be strong for Ian and not because their crap actresses.
  • RoobsRoobs Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    danyell wrote: »
    I'm surprised Denise and Jane weren't more upset. I hope that it was intended that way so theyd be strong for Ian and not because their crap actresses.

I'm pretty certain it was intended that way, since they both broke down outside of Ian's presence.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure how she could have been any different. I mean unlike Jane it would have been a shock to her. The way i saw it, it was about Ian tonight, so there was no need for her to do much more.
    There might have been an element of that but I think it was mainly due to hearing Ian tell the children. There was a bit were the kids could be heard really sobbing, sobbing so much Ian couldn't really say much more, and her face just crumpled up at hearing it.

I would have liked Denise to have comforted Cindy as they bonded quite well more then her and Jane have.
    When Denise was in the kitchen and she started to sob. I wonder if she was upset because she now has to wait even longer to leave Ian.
    I think that was partly it. Also think it was because she was upset for the younger two and how she saw Ian.
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    I also thought that Denise was upset hearing the children crying but partly thinking about how it affected her as well. Adam and Ben were the stand out performers for me.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh I was a bit surprised at how relatively dry-eyed both her and Jane were. I hope they had them intentionally hold back, let's say due to shock, and let tonight's episode be about a dad and brother's grief and we'll see more from them in later episodes as the reality sinks in. I'd be surprised if that's the best we get from two such fantastic actresses.

I noticed they werent actually CRYING. I know that people have said they were holding back but still- I wouldve expected a few genuine tears, esp in the bits when they WERE supposed to be crying,
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    I'm surprised Denise and Jane weren't more upset. I hope that it was intended that way so they'd be strong for Ian and not because their crap actresses.
    I'm sure we'll see them a lot worse in the coming weeks.

People deal differently, they're probably shocked.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We saw Jane have a moment after she left to collect the two youngest before regaining her composure. She couldn't show up blubbing as it would have unsettled them and it was for Ian to tell. As for Denise I think it was a case of feeling genuinely sad but also like she was encroaching on something she wasn't party too so removed herself. Aswell as feeling a sense of entrapment and genuine distress. Poor woman is so conflicted.
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jane and Denise are both good actresses, but was surprised at how little they seemed to cry, especially JAne.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    It was noticeable that Denise was the one outside the door, whilst Jane was in there as part of the family.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actress that plays Denise is usually brilliant so I'm assuming it was just a deliberately subdued performance. I saw her tears as a combination of being genuinely upset at Lucy's death and realizing she is now trapped & stuck with Ian for the time being.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was thinking of the comfort sex she'd have to give him.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    It was noticeable that Denise was the one outside the door, whilst Jane was in there as part of the family.

I thought that, Jane was the person who rang Ian initially too.

With the scene with the children = Denise was LITERALLY on the outside.

INteresting dynamic that she will be guilt- driven into staying with Ian for sometime now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »

No that will be Jane;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    boddism wrote: »
    I thought that, Jane was the person who rang Ian initially too.

With the scene with the children = Denise was LITERALLY on the outside.

INteresting dynamic that she will be guilt- driven into staying with Ian for sometime now

Great points, i think we will see Diane's acting work at its finest since being in the Beale family. We will see her battle with herself.

Like i said before I thought it would be nice if Denise had been with Cindy rather then Jane, but this was telling to see how much she is on the outside/wants out.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I would have let out a wail like Peter if I was in her shoes :cry:
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is definitely what I was thinking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane kept saying it felt unreal, and I think she was trying to keep it together for Bobby.

Denise's reaction, alone, separated from the family, was very clever - they had to vary the ways the death was revealed to the characters, and it's not fair on the little boy who plays Bobby to act out such trauma (or as conviningly as an adult). It's a similar tactic to when Ian told the twins that Cindy had died - the camera at a distance and them running away, then him saying it was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do (and well done to the writer referencing that in this episode).