Cornwall gets National Minority Status :)

Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
Forum Member
Cornwall has long fought for the European NMS, and it has finally been granted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035

Congratulations to Cornish folk - it is a very special place with a very distinct history and language :)

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    You'd never guess there was a General Election on the horizon, eh? :D
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You'd never guess there was a General Election on the horizon, eh? :D

Oh yeah I hadn't thought of that!
    Should have done what with Danny Alexander's chinless mug plastered all over the story
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww, I love the diversity within our nation/countries. :cool:

Congratulations to the Cornish people - the original British.

I would celebrate by having a cornish pasty for my dinner, but I'm a veggie, so will settle for a cheese and onion pasty from Greggs instead.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    "In March this year, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg announced the government would be investing £120,000 into the Cornish Language Partnership to promote and develop the language."

This'll get some people frothing.
    Some get angry at the Welsh language. What will they make of this?

When I last visited Camborne, some 5 years ago, streetname signs had Cornish translations on them.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    "In March this year, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg announced the government would be investing £120,000 into the Cornish Language Partnership to promote and develop the language."

When I last visited Camborne, some 5 years ago, streetname signs had Cornish translations on them.

Eh - but that's nothing compared to in my neck of the woods where we have the only public facility in Britain in which the signage is in Latin - Segedunum - on one of our Metro Stations.

Beat that rest of the UK. :p
    Forum Member

Yes I've seen those too:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/council-news-room/media-releases/news-from-2014/news-from-february-2014/language-milestone-reached-as-the-cornish-language-partnership-completes-1000-cornish-street-signs/

It adds a little exotic touch doesn't it.

No doubt there'll be an outcry, as you said, not that it matters, it's a day for Cornwall.
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    Eh - but that's nothing compared to in my neck of the woods where we have the only public facility in Britain in which the signage is in Latin - Segedunum - on one of our Metro Stations.

Beat that rest of the UK. :p

That's quite whimsical - I think you win that one, unless there's a bus station name in Pictish in Inverness or somewhere :D
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yes I've seen those too:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/council-news-room/media-releases/news-from-2014/news-from-february-2014/language-milestone-reached-as-the-cornish-language-partnership-completes-1000-cornish-street-signs/

It adds a little exotic touch doesn't it.

No doubt there'll be an outcry, as you said, not that it matters, it's a day for Cornwall.

I saw "road" translated on the signs. In Welsh it's "ffordd". In Cornish, it was something like "fordh".
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, not frothing, but the appetite to speak Cornish isn't large (and I guess that's not a large sum of money). I learnt it (but mainly bunked off) as an optional subject as school in the sixth form, when another revival was being attempted but I don't think learning to speak the language has widely caught on.

Wanting to be distinct and have the language is different, I guess.

Nationalism isn't that widespread, in my perception, but pride in distinctness is.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh goody, another 'minority group' that can claim special rights and wag the dog.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Oh goody, another 'minority group' that can claim special rights and wag the dog.

Really?

What do you think is going to happen now?

I say, good for Cornwall and the Cornish.
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    Well, not frothing, but the appetite to speak Cornish isn't large (and I guess that's not a large sum of money). I learnt it (but mainly bunked off) as an optional subject as school in the sixth form, when another revival was being attempted but I don't think learning to speak the language has widely caught on.

Wanting to be distinct and have the language is different, I guess.

I agree with you, and in any case it's a reconstituted language, and quite a niche interest.
    I think as long as it can have a presence and be acknowledged, most people will be content
    Forum Member
    I saw "road" translated on the signs. In Welsh it's "ffordd". In Cornish, it was something like "fordh".

Yes there are many many parallels. Both languages stem from Ancient British, and nearly all important words are cognate.

Ty / Chy = house
    Llan / Lan = enclosure
    Eglwys / Eglos = church
    Tre / Tre = farmstead
    Pen / Pen = headland

And those are just a few placename ones.

My favourite is 'Zawn' (cognate with Welsh 'Safn') which means 'mouth'.
    Lots of bays and coves in Cornwall are prefixed 'zawn' - literally where the land makes a mouth around the sea.

There are hundreds more similarities obviously.
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a bad thing. But we had to have the EU give us permission?

How grateful should we be to a bureaucratic bunch of toss pots telling us what everyone already knew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you, and in any case it's a reconstituted language, and quite a niche interest.
    I think as long as it can have a presence and be acknowledged, most people will be content
    Yes, I don't think it has the same interest to the Cornish (generally - my ex-English teacher* was a proud bard of the Gorsedd who led a commemorative rebellion march to London, for instance) as to many Welsh people but they like it to be there, symbolically. And we have the second best flag in the UK (next to the Welsh one!).

People generally support the English football and rugby team. There's only been small outbreaks of pro-nationalist vandalism.

*http://anntrevenen.angelfire.com/biography.html
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Cornwall is full of people who have retired down there, not native cornish people who have mostly moved away to work. And the language is out and out dead - post mortem resuscitation doesn't count.
    So by what criteria was this decision made?
    Forum Member
    Yes, I don't think it has the same interest to the Cornish (generally - my ex-English teacher* was a proud bard of the Gorsedd who led a commemorative rebellion march to London, for instance) as to many Welsh people but they like it to be there, symbolically. And we have the second best flag in the UK (next to the Welsh one!).

People generally support the English football and rugby team. There's only been small outbreaks of pro-nationalist vandalism.

*http://anntrevenen.angelfire.com/biography.html

I've met Ann Trevenen Jenkin! She was the Cornish representative at the National Eisteddfod of Wales in Llandeilo in 1996 :)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Welsh, Cornish and Breton are very similar Celtic languages, however I understood that the last native Cornish speaker died over 100 years ago, and that only a handful of people mainly University professors, folk dancers and suchlike speak it now.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there are many many parallels. Both languages stem from Ancient British, and nearly all important words are cognate.

Ty / Chy = house
    Llan / Lan = enclosure
    Eglwys / Eglos = church
    Tre / Tre = farmstead
    Pen / Pen = headland

And those are just a few placename ones.

My favourite is 'Zawn' (cognate with Welsh 'Safn') which means 'mouth'.
    Lots of bays and coves in Cornwall are prefixed 'zawn' - literally where the land makes a mouth around the sea.

There are hundreds more similarities obviously.

Don't forget Cumbrian too :) Though it has heavy nordic influences too, there're plenty of traces of cambric in the place names, though most have changed to English letter soundings now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've met Ann Trevenen Jenkin! She was the Cornish representative at the National Eisteddfod of Wales in Llandeilo in 1996 :)
    Oh, wow! She was a fantastic teacher, really inspirational to me personally and others. I don't think I could have had a better one.
    Forum Member
    Oh, wow! She was a fantastic teacher, really inspirational to me personally and others. I don't think I could have had a better one.

She was such an engaging person when I met her and an excellent public speaker :)
    Small world!
    Her daughter (Loveday Jenkin) was speaking on Radio 4 this morning about this NM Status. She is the Mebyon Kernow county councillor for Crowan and Wendron.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Welsh, Cornish and Breton are very similar Celtic languages, however I understood that the last native Cornish speaker died over 100 years ago, and that only a handful of people mainly University professors, folk dancers and suchlike speak it now.

We visited the Celtica festival in Brittany several years ago - music, dance, poetry, drink, processions etc. There were representatives from the UK celtic groups (though only the Welsh and Scottish folks actually spoke their own language,) from Galatia in Turkey, and Galicia in Spain, and Ireland, of course.
    The Bretons have been trying hard to revive their language, but its an uphill struggle as regional languages are frowned on in France, but it was interesting to watch them speaking to the Welsh and each understanding a lot of the other.
    Downside - a lot of it looked like people dressing up in 20th century ideas of their folk costume and singing 20th century inventions of what their music may or may not have sounded like.
    Have to say the Welsh and Scots really stood out in having a living continuous lingustic and cultural tradition. The rest seemed a bit like play-acting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was such an engaging person when I met her and an excellent public speaker :)
    Small world!
    Her daughter (Loveday Jenkin) was speaking on Radio 4 this morning about this NM Status. She is the Mebyon Kernow county councillor for Crowan and Wendron.
    Oh, missed that. I'll check on iPlayer. She went to the same university as me but I only met her once or twice there. (Yes, small world!).
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »

Did you celebrate St Georges Day yesterday?
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I think anything that helps preserve history and culture (including language) is a good thing.
    But lets be honest, the Cornish people are no different whatsoever than the rest of us british.
    I can't see how they can be a minority ?