Bad Routines - Who's Fault?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't think Chris and Frankie's routine, although well performed, was as good as either Cry Me a River or Time Warp, but is it just me who thinks that it's also the choreography that is to blame?

I don't want to insult T&D and whoever else makes up the dance bits or decides on the lifts, but they can only skate what they're given!

I also think it's a bit embarrassing when they give Greg. Steve etc big expressive arm moves in their dances, they always just look a bit silly! It's bad enough when the Pro's do it with the tacky dances and crazy smiley faces!!:D

I know nothing about figure skating or pro dance so i don't mean to be judgemental about it, it's just a thought!!:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Good thread!

I wanna know who was responsible for Tim's awful routine last week :mad: He didn't stand much of a chance with that.
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree this is a good thread and should get some interesting responses. I think the blame surely lies mainly with T & D but sometimes others have input as well (Karen and her husband, the pros and even the odd celebrity). This weeks were all lacking in something for me i don't think any of them really performed well to the music except for Zaraah. Zaraah made a few errors though which is why she wasn't higher.
  • cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the blame is probably down to T&D. The routines given to Greg and Steve are usually not nice to watch - they look uncomfortable so are uncomfortable to view. Tonight the only routine I thought really flowed was Gareth - for the first time I didn't like Chris and Frankie and I didn't like the worm either.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    The trouble is though if a skater isn't that good then they can't give them big lifts etc so with the likes of Steve and Greg etc they have to be expressionate in other ways.

Tim's routine last week was poor; with or without the spin there was very little exciting content in there and the whole sitting down thing was just weird really
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think theres any reason to 'blame' anyone, you say the skaters can only skate what they're given but if they're unhappy they can change it!
    And by the same token, Jayne and Chris can only work with what they have to work with.
    They always say how nice it is to choreograph people like Chris and Suzanne because they can do so much, it must be difficult thinking of original stuff for people like Greg to do, but they still manage it.

They have to do their own routines as well as all the celebrities each week and do a brilliant job playing to everyones strengths.
    They've been doing this for three years and are still coming up with great original routines for everyone!
    It's very rare to hear people complain about their routine, and as I said before, if they hate it so much they can change it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the music effects my enjoyment of routines, certain songs just get the crowd going more which is gonna affect how you view the routine.

I've just re-watched Chris's performance (the joys of sky+;)) and i liked it more the second time, there was some good footwork and stuff which is what i enjoy in Chris' routines, i think it was partly the song (even though i like it) that didn't help... more suited to air guitar than ice dancing maybe!!:D
  • Cat BalouCat Balou Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the routines are mostly down to T&D but I thought that Karen and the pro skaters also have some input.

Given the sheer number of routines that have to be put together for this show and the variable skill of the performers it is not surprising that some are better than others.

Overall I think that T&D do a fabulous job and most of the routines are very entertaining to watch. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think theres any reason to 'blame' anyone, you say the skaters can only skate what they're given but if they're unhappy they can change it!
    And by the same token, Jayne and Chris can only work with what they have to work with.
    They always say how nice it is to choreograph people like Chris and Suzanne because they can do so much, it must be difficult thinking of original stuff for people like Greg to do, but they still manage it.

I was more disappointed in Chris and Suzanne's routines though than i was in Linda's or Steves, because i expect more from Chris and Suzanne. The routines let everyone down tonight but moreso Chris, Suzanne and Zaraah.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzbar wrote: »
    I think the blame is probably down to T&D. The routines given to Greg and Steve are usually not nice to watch - they look uncomfortable so are uncomfortable to view. Tonight the only routine I thought really flowed was Gareth - for the first time I didn't like Chris and Frankie and I didn't like the worm either.

For such a good skater, I think that he could've had something a bit better than the worm, because it was cool when Kieron did it last year, but now its just copycat. Scotty 2 Hotty made that up (according to my brother), not anyone else. So not very unique!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For such a good skater, I think that he could've had something a bit better than the worm, because it was cool when Kieron did it last year, but now its just copycat. Scotty 2 Hotty made that up (according to my brother), not anyone else. So not very unique!

It is a well known break-dancing move that both Kyran and Chris can do. I think it was out of place in Chris' routine tbh but its not copycat otherwise everyone on this show can be considered copycat just because they can all do certain moves the same.
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a well known break-dancing move that both Kyran and Chris can do. I think it was out of place in Chris' routine tbh but its not copycat otherwise everyone on this show can be considered copycat just because they can all do certain moves the same.

That's true, but when the required element is a 'unique' move, and the celebrity is of someone like Chris's calibre, you'd expect more than the worm, really.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I was more disappointed in Chris and Suzanne's routines though than i was in Linda's or Steves, because i expect more from Chris and Suzanne. The routines let everyone down tonight but moreso Chris, Suzanne and Zaraah.
    I agree with that

I think T&D are responsible for crap routines
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aesa wrote: »
    That's true, but when the required element is a 'unique' move, and the celebrity is of someone like Chris's calibre, you'd expect more than the worm, really.

I agree i said it was out of place in his routine. Chris cannot be penalised by it though because it was considered a legal move and he did perform it so.
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm honest I was dissapointed in the show this week, no-one skated up to par. Zarah did well, but made little mistakes, with Chris his confidence was badly shaken by Frankie's fall. All in all it was just a bad day at the office.

Jayne and Chris only have a short time frame in which to get everyone ready for Sunday;s show, they along with the skaters must be under intense pressure. I myself would like to see more dacing on the ice, more steps etc, there is only so many difficult lifts you can preform before someone gets hurt.
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree i said it was out of place in his routine. Chris cannot be penalised by it though because it was considered a legal move and he did perform it so.

Oh I know, I agree, I just meant you'd have thought he'd do something more WOW and unique than the worm. It's not a unique move, imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    If I'm honest I was dissapointed in the show this week, no-one skated up to par. Zarah did well, but made little mistakes, with Chris his confidence was badly shaken by Frankie's fall. All in all it was just a bad day at the office.

Jayne and Chris only have a short time frame in which to get everyone ready for Sunday;s show, they along with the skaters must be under intense pressure. I myself would like to see more dacing on the ice, more steps etc, there is only so many difficult lifts you can preform before someone gets hurt.

Yes but T and D have the same amount of time to choreograph as they normally do and every other weeks routines have been better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the Worm was poor and there's only Chris to blame for that!:)
    I'm sure he could've thought of something better. Oh well, after last weeks solo spin he couldn't show off too much could he!!;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aesa wrote: »
    Oh I know, I agree, I just meant you'd have thought he'd do something more WOW and unique than the worm. It's not a unique move, imo.

I can do the worm so i don't consider it unique either. never done it on ice obviously but there cant be too much difference. I doubt he will be in a hurry to use it again so thankfully it didn't do him any real harm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But a good performer can sell any routine. Jayne and Chris could go in a circle for three minutes and the way they would do that could capture me.
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    tvtv wrote: »
    Good thread!

I wanna know who was responsible for Tim's awful routine last week :mad: He didn't stand much of a chance with that.

There was nothing wrong with Tim's routine, he was just a poor skater.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stfne wrote: »
    But a good performer can sell any routine. Jayne and Chris could go in a circle for three minutes and the way they would do that could capture me.

Dare i say though that you are one of their biggest fans?

I like them and think they are brilliant but they are only human and it is ok for them to make some mistakes one week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What mistake did they make? They can't make them perform, only the celebs can do that. The best routine in the world can look rubbish if someone doesn't perform it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What mistake did they make? They can't make them perform, only the celebs can do that. The best routine in the world can look rubbish if someone doesn't perform it.

The celebs DID perform but the routines were flat and it's not just me saying it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone can't skate, what else are you meant to do with them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone can't skate, what else are you meant to do with them?

That can only be said for 2 or 3 of them. 4 can definitely skate and they have proven it in the past weeks. But their routines were flat and disappointing.