Options

DWTS: Season 18 General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    Well according to rumours you don't want him anymore :( or at least not this season so we'll take him off your hands & give you Anton fair swap? ;-) :D

As for Derek he shouldn't quit to give other pros a chance if the pros want to win they need to beat him and his partner as well as everyone else he has been beaten before & will be beaten again. I would like Derek to have a real challenge this season (can't see it happening tbh as I think he will be paired up with Meryl) to see what he can do with someone who isn't as capable however I don't think Amber was a natural dancer or was an obvious winner last season but their fanbases combined were unbeatable.

BIB - Ha! Wouldn't that be great? (for us) :D. Heaven knows what the DwtS audience would make of Anton. I agree with what you say about Derek, (though I think StrictlyEastend was being tongue in cheek ;-)). He definitely gets the best from whoever he's paired with, but it would be more interesting to see him with an out and out 'challenge'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ Sorry - the BIB was supposed to be the bit about swapping Tris for Anton :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    ^^^ Sorry - the BIB was supposed to be the bit about swapping Tris for Anton :blush:

Tristan has said he wants to return to Australia in a few years, which is sad enough without trading him now. Really wish he'd been on this season. :(
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    PureDWTS seem to think Drew Carey has signed up and is dancing with Cheryl.
  • Options
    Andrew_MAndrew_M Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PureDWTS seem to think Drew Carey has signed up and is dancing with Cheryl.

I hope so!! This would be awesome!! :):):):):)
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Meryl is not with Derek and Derek has been brought back for surprising challenging celeb?!?

@KristynBurtt: If you are stuck on the Meryl/Derek pairing…follow @putUincespence. She's telling you "no" and why…#DWTS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kp2ni wrote: »
    Apparently Meryl is not with Derek and Derek has been brought back for surprising challenging celeb?!?

Jaclyn Smith? She wants to do it but has a recurring foot injury.

Challenging sounds promising, though. Weren't we told Amber was going to be a "challenge" last year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaclyn Smith? She wants to do it but has a recurring foot injury.

Challenging sounds promising, though. Weren't we told Amber was going to be a "challenge" last year?

Tbh Amber had a couple of good dances but overall was a bit meh to me she was ok not amazing wanted Corbin & Karina to win

It looks like Mark is with Meryl and Henry with Candice acc to rumours
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @putUincespence: Guys, I can promise you this much: Derek does not have Kelly Brook. Or Meryl (sorry). He’s going to be far more challenged this season #dwts

@putUincespence: Derek's partner is gonna come completely out of left field for most of you, and I can assure you, JAWS WILL DROP. #dwts

@putUincespence: I want you all to be surprised. But I wouldn't be surprised if Derek's partner was the last one brought out - you'll see why. #dwts

Sounds interesting would like Derek to have a real challenge as long as it isn't a gimmicky thing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Billy Dee Williams (the Lego Movie, Mahogany, Star Wars) is the latest name to come out. He's over 70 so is definitely going to be considered a "challenging" celeb for whichever Pro gets him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy Dee Williams (the Lego Movie, Mahogany, Star Wars) is the latest name to come out. He's over 70 so is definitely going to be considered a "challenging" celeb for whichever Pro gets him.

Karina fans aren't happy with who she got but that doesn't really say anything
  • Options
    fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hope the misogynistic and sleazy maks/val don't come back :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There seems to be a theory that Liza Minnelli might be Derek's partner?!

That really would be a major casting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Derek has the young woman who lost her foot in the Boston Marathon Bombing? She said she hoped to dance with "her idol" Derek Hough:

December 3, 2013

'Last spring, Boston Marathon bombing survivor, Adrianne Haslet Davis, made a brief appearance on “Dancing with the Stars” and promised to return. With the fall season just ended, the tenacious woman was nowhere to be seen on the show but according to Dec. 3 report by the Boston Herald, that doesn’t mean she won’t still make that appearance.

'Davis, an Arthur Murray Dance Studio instructor, lost her foot in the bombing. She was featured on an emotional and supportive segment of the 2013 spring season where she was shown in therapy and attempting to put her life back together. At the time, Davis was supposed to make appearance on the show and hopefully dance with her idol, Derek Hough.

'When the fall season came around, Adrianne was not yet ready to take to the ballroom floor. Sources close to the show say that she is still welcome whenever she is ready.

'After her first taped appearance on the show, ABC changed the format and cut the show from two nights each week to just one. This eliminated many of the prerecorded packages but that wasn’t the reason Adrianne didn’t appear this season. She just wasn’t ready.

'According to DWTS professional dancer Mark Ballas, who used Davis’ studio last season while he was partnered with Olympian Aly Raisman, “It would be an honor to have her come in. I think it would be inspiration for everyone. That’s what’s great about this show. We give hope to people who think that they can’t or that it’s too hard.”

I don't recall hearing that from Derek. Maybe from others insisting an overweight partner couldn't win, but not from Derek. Can you cite a source?
  • Options
    Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on a hint that ABC twitter gave I think Derek's partner will be Diana Nyad the long distance swimmer who is 64 or thereabouts.

Let's see if how close I come. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't recall hearing that from Derek. Maybe from others insisting an overweight partner couldn't win, but not from Derek. Can you cite a source?

Well, I'm not sure Derek - or any of the pros (...maybe Maks...:p) - is likely to say such a thing, but it was certainly used (by fans) to deflect the predictable 'ringer' response to the Amber partnership. Personally, I thought she was middling in the ringer league - more challenging than many of D's partners (knees and weight) but not even close to 'duffer' ;-). The swimmer might be interesting. Older and not from a performance background (and did I read some health issues too, or have I imagined that? :blush:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    http://www.examiner.com/article/dwts-2014-casting-spoilers-feature-a-surprising-partner-for-derek-hough

Still more rumour-mongering. Most of the names are unknown to me, so I'm none the wiser.:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The cast -

Danica Mckeller - Val
    Cody Simpson - Witney
    Billy Dee Williams - Emma
    Diana Nyad - Henry
    NeNe Leakes - Tony
    James Maslow - Peta
    Sean Avery - Karina
    Drew Carey - Cheryl
    Candace Cameron Bure - Mark Ballas
    Charlie White - Sharna
    Meryl Davis - Maks is back

Amy Purdy has been added to this announcement, could be Derek's partner?

http://gma.yahoo.com/dancing-with-the-stars-2014-season-18-celebrity-cast-announced-225318586.html?vp=1

Yep Amy and Derek.

The twist, they will change partners and then public vote the pairings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks Karma - you know how to keep me happy :) (that was just for me, wasn't it? :D ;-)). Thank you for bringing all the news about the cast. May need a while to work out who all these people are :p. Regarding the twist, how long before the public votes the partnerships? Maks with Meryl is a bit odd - isn't she tiny weeny and awfully nice? :o (I do at least know who the skaters are!!). Right, away to look at all your links :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    Thanks Karma - you know how to keep me happy :) (that was just for me, wasn't it? :. Thank you for bringing all the news about the cast. May need a while to work out who all these people are :p. Regarding the twist, how long before the public votes the partnerships? Maks with Meryl is a bit odd - isn't she tiny weeny and awfully nice? :o (I do at least know who the skaters are!!). Right, away to look at all your links :)

Hi Soupy

Yes a good way to keep happy.:::D;-)

Same here, although I watched show and then typed names of celebs, still a bit confused who's who.:blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_MhgkDvQnI

Didn't watch winter Olympics, so didn't even know skaters.:blush::blush::D

Wasn't clear when these partnerships split up and the new ones are decided???
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like Emma's turning into the female Tristan, always getting older, less fit partners. I know that she and Bill Engvall got further in the competition than anyone would have expected last season but It would have been nice to see what she could do with a partner who's more of a contender this time round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    memmh wrote: »
    It looks like Emma's turning into the female Tristan, always getting older, less fit partners. I know that she and Bill Engvall got further in the competition than anyone would have expected last season but It would have been nice to see what she could do with a partner who's more of a contender this time round.

Memmh that was my thought too, shame because Emma, stood out for me last season. She hopefully will do better when they rejig the partnerships, with a bit of luck.