Greys Anatomy - US pace

123457»

Comments

• Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAJOR spoiler for Season 9
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s46/greys-anatomy/news/a395645/eric-dane-leaves-greys-anatomy-as-dr-mark-sloan-after-six-years.html

So i guess with how Season 8 ended .. Mark is going to die as well :(:(

Fingers crossed he'll at least film an exit episode and Mark won't just vanish.
    It's by no means guaranteed that he's going to die. I think in a way it'd be strange if he doesn't though - yes, he's broken-hearted because he's lost Lexie, but he loves his daughter as well and it'd be a bit strange if he suddenly decided to leave Seattle now - there's no real reason for him to except that it could remind him too much of Lexie.
    Well ..
    If Erik Dane is coming back for a few episodes, I actually think he'll survive. I think they'll have Mark so traumatised by the crash and Lexie's death that he'll walk away from the hospital.

I think they could have done plenty with him without Lexie. Could have explored how he coped with her loss for one. He could have gone back to his womanising ways again, started drinking or taking drugs. Could have even tried to gain custody of his child as well.

But then it depends I guess. Depends on what he wants to do. Considering Shonda seemingly let Chyler Leigh decide on the manner of her exit, maybe she'll do the same with Dane ?
    I'll be annoyed if they go with him walking away because he's so traumatised, he cares about Sofia so unless he goes completely off the rails to the point where Callie refuses to let him be around his daughter anymore for everyone's safety, then him just walking away makes very little sense. I was expecting that he'd go off the rails if he doesn't die, and that would be his storyline for season 9, but it would be a bit much to do all of that in a few episodes, so I think writing him out entirely through a death storyline rather than a departure would make more sense now.

But I rarely like characters' exit stories on GA, so I'm not very hopeful!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I rarely like characters' exit stories on GA, so I'm not very hopeful!

I know what you mean ..
    I suppose the nature of the beast means that any regular cast member leaving isn't very nice. You make a good point about Sofia though.

Maybe they'll pull a massive swerve and Mark will fully recover and be offered an amazing job as chief of surgery at another hospital ?

I think it would be a nice way to go and certainly make up for Lexie's death (to an extent ..)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    As much as I like Mark Sloan, the news that
    hes leaving has give me a bit of hope that Arizona is staying! I was convinced that she was going to die and Alex would take over her job or something like that, keeping him in the show as I read all the original cast members had signed for another 2 years
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    conkadonk1 wrote: »
    As much as I like Mark Sloan, the news that
    hes leaving has give me a bit of hope that Arizona is staying! I was convinced that she was going to die and Alex would take over her job or something like that, keeping him in the show as I read all the original cast members had signed for another 2 years
    Ahhh that's another reason why I'm so sad about it - I think Arizona is by far the most annoying character apart from April, and it's doubly annoying that I don't like her because Callie is one of my favourites! I think it would have very interesting to see how Mark and Callie would have helped each other cope (not romantically, just as friends), but that's not going to happen now.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting interview with Shonda .. some very interesting hints towards the upcoming season that do give away some potential plots I think ..
    When asked whether the show will see more fatalities or departures after the season eight plane crash, Rhimes said: "I think that's possible, yes.

"I think any number of people could be departing at this point. That's left open,"

Think this is a bit of a tease and won't be true personally.
    When asked if there would be a time jump from the eighth season finale, she said: "Not a big one. We're doing something really interesting this year. Our first episode takes place two to three months after we left the finale, so you see the aftermath and where everyone ends up.

"The second episode jumps back and we're back in the woods, we start the episode back in the woods. To me, it's a very different way of telling the story and you have some questions about why people are the way they are and in the second episode you find out why things are the way they are."

Smacks of a regular plot device used in US dramas where the episode starts with something dramatic before the opening credits then we have the "3 days earlier" headline as the credits finish.
    Rhimes revealed that several characters may not appear at Seattle Grace hospital during large portions of the season.

"We could absolutely see some of the season take place somewhere else; that was always in the cards for us - the idea that somebody would be somewhere else and we would see things play out that way.

"When we start the season, there are some doctors who are not at Seattle Grace and we will come to understand what that means as time goes on."

Sounds good and fairly logical, considering how many got jobs elsewhere I suppose.
    "We're not doing funerals this season, that's not part of the language of what we're trying to do this season. It's not about a funeral at all.

"I'm really proud of the way we're handing [Mark's] exit. I really wanted and fought for that character to be given their due. I didn't want to come back to this season and say, 'Mark Sloane is gone'.

"I really wanted to give that character his due and we came up with a beautiful and creative way to showcase that and that goodbye."

"Not doing any funerals" pretty much confirms Mark survives (Yay!). But the "beautiful and creative" way is intruiging. Maybe Mark's daughter re-appears and they re-connect and go off together ?. Or maybe we have another time-jump and find Mark has fathered another child so goes off to start his own family ?.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s46/greys-anatomy/news/a395979/greys-anatomy-may-have-more-exits-says-creator-shonda-rhimes.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it this week that the new season starts in America does anyone know?

many thanks:)
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    sinead6uk wrote: »
    Is it this week that the new season starts in America does anyone know?

many thanks:)

Yes tomorrow night in the States, will be dl first thing on Friday morning :D