Which definition of gamer are you?

Comments

• SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have all the consoles / handhelds (& buy all the latest games) but usually only play for about an hour before bed so what would I be classed as? lol :confused:
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose im a core gamer to this topics definition.

My main hobby is new technology/gaming, so im primarily a PC gamer. I dont sit at a desk.
    I buy the newest gen Playstation, though rarely play on it.
    To most people i spend a small fortune on gaming/PC hardware related, like up to £2k every year (inc TV's etc)
    I pretty much play only multiplayer online games, prefering to buy my games via download rather than have a boxed copy.
    I play only 2 or 3 games per year, not many games take my fancy so im very cautious with what games i buy.
    Time played; greatly varied from one week to the next... one week i might play 1-3 hours, another week i might play up to 20 hours.
    I work at least 40 hours a week.

I hate having old stuff laying around, so im not a fan of keeping old consoles - as soon as the new gen console is out the old console is thrown out. Same with PC's i do *full* upgrades every 2 years.

Gaming off and on since i was 8, now im 32.
  • 0lly0lly Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Well according to those descriptions I'm mostly hardcore. But I dislike that word and going by what you see online every day I definitely am not a "hardcore" gamer :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Hmm.. I answered Dedicated without reading your definitions, and would stand by that self-classification.. but your Hardcore description actually fits me much better than your Dedicated one. The only thing that isn't true for me from that is that although I have a gaming capable PC, I rarely use it for games, as I prefer gaming from my sofa.

I'm not sure that gamers can be slotted into these kind of categories easily - surely it has a lot to do with the gamer's own perception of where they fit? I'd never describe myself as a hardcore gamer, but you apparently would!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dedicated would suit me best I guess, I wish I could put more time in but a young family and trying to get my classic mini back on the road takes up alot of my spare time.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dedicated, but that would be down from Hardcore had I been asked a year or so ago.

:) Mark
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a huge Tomb Raider fan I had to go with being a Core gamer :o:D
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the above. I have the current gen 360 and tend to be an early adopter of games consoles, I play first-person shooters and adventure games but I don't play online or with friends. I am interested in the tech of games and graphics.
    I don't play any games on my PC/Tablet/phone (I don't have a mobile phone...).
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dedicated I would say although I'm possibly in the middle between that and hardcore.

I own about 100 PS3 games and I have owned every major games console since the Atari 2600 (except handhelds and the Wii U). I don't have a gaming PC but I do play the odd game on my laptop including MMOs, 4x, Football Manager...

I don't spend all of my time gaming, I would say I play about 15 games a year.
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am 46 years old,and before this time last year had'nt had a console since playstaion 1, but in the last year i have bought myself, xbox360, sony vita, playstation3, psp with 25 games of of ebay for 35.00 quid,nintendo 3dsxl, and a few weeks ago a wii u off of ebay, and intend on buying either the new xbox or the new playstation, but i won't be buying both, this year.

But even though i am not really good at gaming i am really enjoying my consoles.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be 'hardcore', and owned several platforms including handhelds. Now I'm more of a 'dedicated' type. Playing a lot of old PC titles and emulators at the moment.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted dedicated, but even that's not quite right.

I rarely (if ever) play online, I have a wide range of titles in my collection, though very few are first-person-shooters or sports games. I play triple-A action games as much as I play smaller indie titles. Gaming is my principle interest outside of work, but my gaming time is so precious due to life I sometimes only get a couple of hours a week.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elvie_Love wrote: »
    I'm not sure that gamers can be slotted into these kind of categories easily - surely it has a lot to do with the gamer's own perception of where they fit? I'd never describe myself as a hardcore gamer, but you apparently would!

Of course, and these definitions were never meant to be 'pigeon-hole' definitions, but rather best fits. I described myself as a dedicated gamer but there are elements where I more closely resemble being a core or hardcore gamer - dedicated is just the 'best fit' definition for how gaming slots into my life.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the word gamer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only game to pass the time these days however I don't play online or on a mobile device but I do buy Fifa every year. I am an early adapter (been gaming since I was 4 and I'm now 30). I have a PS3 and my game collection is massive and varies in genre. I have also owned an Xbox 360 and Wii. However I'm not overly fussed on graphics so long as the game plays well.

So make of that what you will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the word gamer.

What noun would you use to describe a person who plays video games?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the sounds of things I'm a dedicated Nintendo fan.
    Ever since was born, we've had a Nintendo games console in my house, and I've carried on the torch with GCN, GBA, Wii, DS, Wii U, 3DS etc..

I stopped buying the official Nintendo magazine last year, as I found that most of the gaming news I wanted could be found online, and that the magazines were about a month of date even though they were the latest issue out.

I wouldn't say I'm a Nintendo fan boy though. I'm aware the sun doesn't shine out of their arse, and I've not always agreed with some of their decisions. But I'll stick by them and buy their products. Miyamoto is a gaming legend, and he should be recognised as such.

PS and XBOX are more interested, in my opinion, on focusing on graphics and sales, where as I feel the true passion for gaming comes from Nintendo. You don't have to be macho, shooting things, people etc, but to be innovative, and break boundaries. Xbox One and PS4 are upgraded consoles from what they've released in previous generations. Okay, they've added a few bits and pieces to their software to make it current, but they haven't done anything near as innovative as the Wii Remote or Wii U Gamepad. PS released their glow stick about a year later, around the same time Microsoft released their Kinect. This generation Nintendo released the Wii U gamepad, PS4 and XBOX One are planning on integrating second screens using tablets and other handheld devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    Ever since was born, we've had a Nintendo games console in my house, and I've carried on the torch with GCN, GBA, Wii, DS, Wii U, 3DS etc..

I stopped buying the official Nintendo magazine last year, as I found that most of the gaming news I wanted could be found online, and that the magazines were about a month of date even though they were the latest issue out.

I wouldn't say I'm a Nintendo fan boy though. I'm aware the sun doesn't shine out of their arse, and I've not always agreed with some of their decisions. But I'll stick by them and buy their products. Miyamoto is a gaming legend, and he should be recognised as such.

PS and XBOX are more interested, in my opinion, on focusing on graphics and sales, where as I feel the true passion for gaming comes from Nintendo. You don't have to be macho, shooting things, people etc, but to be innovative, and break boundaries. Xbox One and PS4 are upgraded consoles from what they've released in previous generations. Okay, they've added a few bits and pieces to their software to make it current, but they haven't done anything near as innovative as the Wii Remote or Wii U Gamepad. PS released their glow stick about a year later, around the same time Microsoft released their Kinect. This generation Nintendo released the Wii U gamepad, PS4 and XBOX One are planning on integrating second screens using tablets and other handheld devices.

I couldn't disagree more...

Nintendo just release games with very similar stories to the SNES, same old mario and zelda, save the princess blah blah blah. The Wii remote was a gimmick IMO just like move and kinect, fun for 5 mins but that's it.

Sony and MS have some great adult titles, games like heavy rain, uncharted, LA noire, Skyrim, bioshock infinite to name just a few have been amazing this gen. Even the new Tomb Raider was a good game.

The Xbox One is far from perfect but I would choose it over the Wii U any day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »

You say you're not a Nintendo fan boy but go and praise Nintendo while bad mouthing the competition?

And you do realise not all games on ps3 and Xbox are shooters? There's a wide range of genres.

And as for ps4 and Xbox one just being upgrades of existing consoles is laughable. What is the wii u? Sony and ms have created proper next gen consoles (good or bad) whereas Nintendo mearly updated their existing system which will already be 'last gen' once ps4 and Xbox one hit the shelves.

I'm not saying Nintendo are bad but to basically say they are better for games is a joke.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    What noun would you use to describe a person who plays video games?

Who knows, but anyone who declares them self a 'gamer' is a person you know to dodge at a party. It's becoming an embarrassing sub culture.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am definitely an Hardcore Gamer. I still have plenty of consoles that have now died out, i am always going back to retro games, i am into all kinds of different game genres, the one i am not really a fan of is one of the most popular and that is shooters, i just can't get into them.

Gaming is and always will be my top hobby.
  • 0lly0lly Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Regarding the word gamer... Why I HATE The Word "GAMER" - Start at 6:55.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say you're not a Nintendo fan boy but go and praise Nintendo while bad mouthing the competition?

And you do realise not all games on ps3 and Xbox are shooters? There's a wide range of genres.

And as for ps4 and Xbox one just being upgrades of existing consoles is laughable. What is the wii u? Sony and ms have created proper next gen consoles (good or bad) whereas Nintendo mearly updated their existing system which will already be 'last gen' once ps4 and Xbox one hit the shelves.

I'm not saying Nintendo are bad but to basically say they are better for games is a joke.

Your post pretty much sums up the part of what I meant by I don't always agree with Nintendo's decisions.
    Power wise, the Wii was a sixth generation console, so I was hoping they would learn their mistakes with Wii U, but comparing specs with other seventh gen consoles, Wii U is equally as powerful as the 360.

I respect Xbox and PS. My last post didn't come across as though I did, but I was falling asleep as I wrote it. They know how to please their consumers, and they do it well. I can't comment much on the PS4, as not much is known about it, but the Xbox One is a powerful piece of kit, and I'm kicking myself as I'm really keen to get it.

I wasn't expecting much of an upgrade for the 8th gen of consoles, but it seems as though there is just a big of a leap, which means an even greater gap for Nintendo. I'm not saying Iwata needs to get fired, but changes need to be made in order for it to be a fair playing field for all developers.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casual. Like a narrow range of specific games (Ghost Recon, GTA, Splinter Cell, RE, Metal Gear) but still want to play them on best console available. Was dedicated PS & PS2, then switched to Xbox and 360. Next gen up for grabs at present...
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0lly wrote: »
    Regarding the word gamer... Why I HATE The Word "GAMER" - Start at 6:55.

I love ReviewtechUSA, I think it's that sonorous voice of his :D