Options

Nyssa

13»

Comments

• Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I really used to love that pink lip gloss Nyssa used to wear. There was something about that exact shade of pink that just complemented her mouth perfectly. When they changed it in season 20, it didn't didn't work as well.
  • Options
    W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Nyssa is far better in the Big Finish world. As is Peter Davison's Doctor, I might add. Age adds a lot to their performances. "Spare Parts" is really good for both Sutton and Davison.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really hated Nyssa, but equally I never really liked her either. Her acting wasn't particularly good, but it was never annoying...unlike Adric or Mel who were simply awful.

By the way, I'd love to synthesise enzymes in my spare time! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nyssa gets slated less than Adric as he was a frigging pain in the butt during Season 19. Add in Tegan's argumentativeness and Nyssa's pleasant personality was always gonna be a winner. Plus that's why Davison preferred her because of that, which also matched his Doctor.

This

As much as I liked Turlough and change my mind often about Tegan, the problem I found is that these characters where so tetchy or OTT that they often got in the way of Davison's portrayal and he had to wind it in a bit. I think the 5th Doctor came across a lot better with calmer companions, such as the first part of Arc Of Infinity and especially in The Caves Of Androzani!

And I say that as a huge 5th Doctor fan!
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »

I just find her bland now I'm older. :)

If I had to do a list of the sexiest companions, Nyssa wouldn't be anywhere near the top. I think her costumes didn't help her in this regard, both in Snakedance with that hideous outfit and the one she wore in her last two stories. Didn't suit her at all despite the skirt dropping.

What she lacked in that department she more than made up with pure pleasantness and it doesn't distract too much from her as a character imo.
    This

As much as I liked Turlough and change my mind often about Tegan, the problem I found is that these characters where so tetchy or OTT that they often got in the way of Davison's portrayal and he had to wind it in a bit. I think the 5th Doctor came across a lot better with calmer companions, such as the first part of Arc Of Infinity and especially in The Caves Of Androzani!

And I say that as a huge 5th Doctor fan!

Agreed, Peri would have made a far better companion full time for the Fifth Doctor, their banter at the beginning of Androzani was superb. It's my Dream Team, shame it only lasted two stories.......:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    All sadly true Chuff..

But that aside...

Nyssa.

I mean... You would, wouldn't you?!!

;):D

In the eighties I'd have nobbed Nyssa, Peri and even Mel.

Today, I'd still nob Peri, and quite possibly Mel too.

None of the three were especially good actresses, but all were eminently nobbable.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the eighties I'd have nobbed Nyssa, Peri and even Mel.

Today, I'd still nob Peri, and quite possibly Mel too.

None of the three were especially good actresses, but all were eminently nobbable.

Well. :o :eek:
    Thanks for sharing. I think. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Nyssa just bored me.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eminently nobbable.

This is the title of my autobiography. ;)
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    If I had to do a list of the sexiest companions, Nyssa wouldn't be anywhere near the top. I think her costumes didn't help her in this regard, both in Snakedance with that hideous outfit and the one she wore in her last two stories. Didn't suit her at all despite the skirt dropping. :(

I remember back in the day of non-internet fan discussions that the conversations on that were endless... Just why did she take her skirt off, huh?
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hestia wrote: »
    I remember back in the day of non-internet fan discussions that the conversations on that were endless... Just why did she take her skirt off, huh?

It is one of the big Who Mysteries, there was no really logical reason for her to do even if she had a dodgy tummy! :D
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hestia wrote: »

I tend to feel that in a case like that, one doesn't ask why, one simply enjoys!
  • Options
    trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nyssa to me, always appeared a little aloof. She wasn't my favourite. Tegan was far more three dimensional in my opinion.

As to my all time favourites:

Mary Tamm's Romana for sheer, elegant glamour.
    Jacqueline Hill's Barbara for level-headed sense.
    Elisabeth Sladen's Sarah for monster interaction.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And perrie for her boobies :-)
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trilobite wrote: »
    Nyssa to me, always appeared a little aloof. She wasn't my favourite. Tegan was far more three dimensional in my opinion.

As to my all time favourites:

Mary Tamm's Romana for sheer, elegant glamour.
    Jacqueline Hill's Barbara for level-headed sense.
    Elisabeth Sladen's Sarah for monster interaction.

I'd say Mary Tamm's Romana was far more aloof than Nyssa! Nyssa was kind of posh, but not aloof or snotty at all. Always thought her and Tegan complemented each other really well, with Nyssa's calm personality compared to Tegan's stroppy one.
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I don't think that Nyssa was CRAP, as such, she was just... there.

She wasn't really a character, she didn't really contribute anything (other than being very pretty), and I didn't really care that she was gone.

Just a total non-event, really.

Also, since we've talked Adric in this thread, too - rewatching Earthshock, he really was rather good in that one, wasn't he?
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Terminus last night (terrible, terrible stuff), I was repeatedly struck by something I have noticed a few times in the past:

Sarah Sutton is a very bad actor. [/I]

There are a few moments in Terminus when Sarah Sutton's delivery is so awful it almost sounds as if English isn't her first language ("What is this terrible place?"). That got me to thinking that there are other times when she sounds awful ("The Watcher! So he was the Doctor all the time!").

I accept that the scripts are sometimes not very actor-friendly, and there are chunks of badly written technical stuff and exposition, but Sarah manages to get it wrong very often ("I know so little about telebiogenesis").

I have always had a fondness for Nyssa as part of the Tardis crew of my early childhood, but watching it again on DVD has been a shocker.

The character is a bit of a boring cow as well, truth be told. Synthesising enzymes in her spare time? She needs to get out more.

DIY Sheep will agree with you on this. They've been saying it for years
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I never really hated Nyssa, but equally I never really liked her either. Her acting wasn't particularly good, but it was never annoying...unlike Adric or Mel who were simply awful.

By the way, I'd love to synthesise enzymes in my spare time! :mad:

I don't hate her. I just find her frequent appalling delivery pulls me out of the episode really quickly. As someone else has said, the delivery is sometimes so stilted and artificial that it's almost as if English wasn't her first language.