O2 unveil 4G coverage plans

2»

Comments

• wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evidence about congestion?

Telefonica UK own O2 and GiffGaff, GiffGaff is an MVNO of O2 owned by the parent company. GiffGaff is O2's web based budget offering,
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evidence about congestion?

Telefonica UK own O2 and GiffGaff, GiffGaff is an MVNO of O2 owned by the parent company. GiffGaff is O2's web based budget offering,

Well I just ran a test and posted it on your thread but here you go:
    Managed to get Download 4.28Mbps Upload 0.3Mbps and Ping 186ms using an iPhone 3GS. Probably not the best phone to do speed tests with :D

Still miles better than your results suggesting local congestion issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still miles better than your results suggesting local congestion issue.

What evidence can be provided re the local congestion issues?

I would be interested to view that as I have never seen more than 4Mbps on 3 in my area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What evidence can be provided re the local congestion issues?

I would be interested to view that as I have never seen more than 4Mbps on 3 in my area.

You live in Glasgow and I live on the West Coast of Scotland. I expect you live in a much more congested area than I do.

This should really be put back in your thread about this subject.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 will do what they need to in terms of their 4G coverage obligation and in partnership with Vodafone are very credible in the mobile comunications market.

So back on topic, what makes you think this when they didn't meet a much lower coverage obligation previously when times weren't so hard?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You live in Glasgow and I live on the West Coast of Scotland. I expect you live in a much more congested area than I do.

This should really be put back in your thread about this subject.

No.

If congestion is the issue as suggested in my case some evidence needs to be provided to prove that assumption.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

If congestion is the issue as suggested in my case some evidence needs to be provided to prove that assumption.

This is all off topic and spill over from your other thread. It has nothing to do with the O2 LTE coverage plans.

What makes you think this when they didn't meet a much lower coverage obligation previously when times weren't so hard?
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very interesting how someone accuses people of bashing one network, but then does exactly the same with another network.
    I don't think anyone can deny that O2's and Vodafone's 3G coverage is quite a bit behind the other networks'. Of course this doesn't mean that one network always gets better speeds everywhere. So saying "where I live my network is quicker, so that proves everything" is a bit... well, meaningless.
    Lets wait and see how O2 and the rest do with their 4G coverage and then bash in your heads ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Analysis of O2's 4G Spectrum & Amazing quotes from O2 CEO

Daniel Gleeson, mobile media analyst at IHS, felt the results left O2 in a difficult position. He said: ‘Without high capacity 2.6GHz spectrum, coupled with the need to focus on a countryside rollout, it is possible that O2 will lose the battle for network quality in major population centres. This will be a major concern because O2 has the largest number of valuable iPhone subscriptions in the country.’

Matthew Howett, analyst at Ovum, said: ‘The relatively low value bids suggest that a player of O2’s scale could have found more cash if it wanted to, which suggests that this was a strategic decision.’ He said the options for O2 could be making the spectrum it won work harder, or refarm existing spectrum for 4G. Either would be a ‘strategic gamble’ for the operator.

Ronan Dunne, O2 CEO, said the 2.6GHz spectrum was priced at the high end and said it will be able to meet capacity by refarming spectrum or using its wi-fi service. While the auction outcome means O2 is only three percentage points ahead of Three in its total spectrum holding, despite having nearly three times as many customers, Dunne said ‘that’s like comparing a Mercedes Benz with a Hyundai’. He said: ‘Deep coverage is only provided by low frequency spectrum. The very fact that the auction took place in 2013 was because the people who didn’t have low frequency spectrum were agitating for it.’

Yes it certainly is a gamble for O2 and re using existing spectrum could be a possibility but they will have to cut bandwidth from 2G or 3G operations to do it.

I suspect the bidding was due to financial pressure on Telefónica more than anything else.

As for getting customers to use WiFi :confused: WiFi does not provide the coverage of a cellular network. OK in a fast food place or restaurant but seriously?!

Slagging off Three who provide a more comprehensive 3G coverage than O2. Ronan Dunne needs to get a grip :mad:

And who was holding up the 4G auction?! Yes that right O2 and Vodafone :mad:

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Feature/24543/Finally__4G_is_go.aspx