Shud the Big Bang theory go bck to how it used to be in seasons 1-4

Comments

• SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I like how it has changed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I don't understand the people who want Howard to go back to who he was. He was creepy and desperate. It was funny for a while, but it would have been too much if they continued with it. Hiding a camera in your female friend's teddy is messed up. Now he's settled down, but still funny imo.

I would like to see more of Stuart, Krikpe and Wil Wheaton.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    I think it couldn't continue the way it was, what's the point if nothing's ever going to progress?

I think this last season has been as funny as the earlier seasons, with a few exceptions.

What I would like to see is the focus put back onto the friendship between Sheldon and Leonard, I do miss that and i'm also not keen on Sheldon becoming anymore involved with Amy. I don't think its needed.

I don't think the female characters are a problem, the funniest episode this season for my money was the one where they were arguing about the Hulk. If there's a problem its with writing.

I would like to see some more episodes that were a bit more 'old school' next season, with the focus on the original cast but I don't know whether they would really end up being anymore enjoyable.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just finished my season 4 box set so it's interesting reading about the difference in the later seasons. However, I really like the addition of the girls. I think with shows like this it's easy for them to stay the same which usually only works for so long so it's good that they've changed it a little.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing last forever, the shows had a good run, and hasn't jumped the shark just yet.....

I think as soon as Sheldon spanked Amy it jumped the shark for me. Sloppy, out-of-character writing just to get cheap laughs.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well with The Big Bang Theory taking home the most prizes at the Critics Choice TV Awards in Los Angeles (including "Best Comedy Series") I really can't see it changing it's formula or indeed being immediately cancelled.

PS - Archer won best animated series, hooray! :D
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show will obviously have to end with the wedding of Leonard & Penny, the question is though how many more seasons can they stretch this out??
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Really? lose Amy? She's given us two of the funniest moments in the show full stop.

The "its a Tiara, I have a Tiara! putitonme! putitonme!" scene and of course the incredibly funny.... "yes... I've been very bad" spanking scene.
    This show is nothing like friends, its funny for start.

If anything those were two of the worst moments in the show, cringy and unnecessary.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,120
    Forum Member
    The show will obviously have to end with the wedding of Leonard & Penny, the question is though how many more seasons can they stretch this out??

I think they'll only end it once they know that people are loosing interest.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    The only thing I'd change is the number of eating scenes. What is that about?

For me the show's main attraction is the Sheldon character so as long as he remains recognisably Sheldonesque then I'm good.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. People change in real life, this shouldn't be any different.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

As soon as Jim Parsons decides to call it a day the show will be over. He and possibly Kaley are the only two I think that couldn't be replaced.
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    The only thing I'd change is the number of eating scenes. What is that about?

For me the show's main attraction is the Sheldon character so as long as he remains recognisably Sheldonesque then I'm good.

Some of the best one liners come from the set scenes especially as the show is filmed in front of a studio audience. It's usually an eating scene so you have them all together or the comic book store.

The eating scenes also allow you to being in Penny either at the Cheesecake Factory or in the lads flat.

I love the one liners between Sheldon and Kaley, I'd really love to see an episode where it's mostly those two, they are so funny.

The episode with the red chair was just so funny.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I disagree in part. Leonard is the linchpin between the two parts of the show. He is the foil for Sheldon but also needs to be there for the relationship with Penny.

If anything they could probably get rid of Penny and have Leonard go after some other girl.

I doubt it though and if any of the three were to leave they would probably consider that the end.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the best one liners come from the set scenes especially as the show is filmed in front of a studio audience. It's usually an eating scene so you have them all together or the comic book store.

The eating scenes also allow you to being in Penny either at the Cheesecake Factory or in the lads flat.

I love the one liners between Sheldon and Kaley, I'd really love to see an episode where it's mostly those two, they are so funny.

The episode with the red chair was just so funny.

So was the one where he has to take her to the hospital after injuring her shoulder.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I disagree in part. Leonard is the linchpin between the two parts of the show. He is the foil for Sheldon but also needs to be there for the relationship with Penny.

If anything they could probably get rid of Penny and have Leonard go after some other girl.

I doubt it though and if any of the three were to leave they would probably consider that the end.

Kaley has great comic timing, yes they could bring in another main female character but getting that 'Penny role' right isn't that easy. The first pilot had a different actress and it just didn't work.

Leonard is a key character but he probably could be replaced, but the show would just not be the same without Sheldon.
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    So was the one where he has to take her to the hospital after injuring her shoulder.

Yes that was a great episode, especially at the treatment room when he's filling in the form for Penny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    My two cents worth is that I actually like the female characters. I hated the Amy character at first but she has really grown on me, especially the tiara scene mentioned by a few other people and all of her work with the smoking monkeys.

As for the Penny-Leonard relationship I do think they should break them up. A while ago I genuinely thought it was going to happen. I think it was the Halloween episode in which he was showing her the work he is doing. She went to his lab because Sheldon's assistant was coming onto Leonard and she got jealous and was told by the other girls that she should try to learn what he is doing. In the scene is question he created the pencil with the lasers and then showed the world and discussed how some people believe that everything is just a dream - the scene was great and they both acted it really well, but I thought that was the right time to end the relationship. Once he showed her the world, they went quiet for a while as she looked on and said something like he is really smart, the writers should have made it so she broke up with him for his own good, that he deserved someone like Sheldon's assistant who actually knew and would appreciate everything he does and knows, something she would never be able to do... but, the writers just made it into a cheesy 'I'm horny now' moment.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Kaley has great comic timing, yes they could bring in another main female character but getting that 'Penny role' right isn't that easy. The first pilot had a different actress and it just didn't work.

Leonard is a key character but he probably could be replaced, but the show would just not be the same without Sheldon.
    But Penny is only really there because of the relationship with Leonard, whether they are a couple or the dynamics of the relationship when they are not.
    If not for Leonard, Penny would have no real reason to be good friends with Sheldon.
    Forum Member
    My two cents worth is that I actually like the female characters. I hated the Amy character at first but she has really grown on me, especially the tiara scene mentioned by a few other people and all of her work with the smoking monkeys.

As for the Penny-Leonard relationship I do think they should break them up. A while ago I genuinely thought it was going to happen. I think it was the Halloween episode in which he was showing her the work he is doing. She went to his lab because Sheldon's assistant was coming onto Leonard and she got jealous and was told by the other girls that she should try to learn what he is doing. In the scene is question he created the pencil with the lasers and then showed the world and discussed how some people believe that everything is just a dream - the scene was great and they both acted it really well, but I thought that was the right time to end the relationship. Once he showed her the world, they went quiet for a while as she looked on and said something like he is really smart, the writers should have made it so she broke up with him for his own good, that he deserved someone like Sheldon's assistant who actually knew and would appreciate everything he does and knows, something she would never be able to do... but, the writers just made it into a cheesy 'I'm horny now' moment.

I'm not a big L/P fan or anything, but I disagree. I think Leonard really loves Penny despite the fact that she doesn't pay attention to his work. He has friends and work colleagues he can talk about that with. I don't really understand breaking up with someone you love so they can get a girlfriend they can discuss work with. I think if it was that important to Leonard, he would have realised by now. He had Priya and he didn't seem to care as much about her as he did Penny.

Good episode tonight. Sheldon buying Roots on video made me laugh :D
  • Martin_WaiteMartin_Waite Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    With your toes?

With your ears..
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ISheldon buying Roots on video made me laugh :D

Ditto, although I could tell something like that was coming.
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Ditto, although I could tell something like that was coming.

I thought it would have been a copy of The Help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big L/P fan or anything, but I disagree. I think Leonard really loves Penny despite the fact that she doesn't pay attention to his work. He has friends and work colleagues he can talk about that with. I don't really understand breaking up with someone you love so they can get a girlfriend they can discuss work with. I think if it was that important to Leonard, he would have realised by now. He had Priya and he didn't seem to care as much about her as he did Penny.

Good episode tonight. Sheldon buying Roots on video made me laugh :D

I agree with you that Leonard loves Penny, but Penny doesn't love him as much and that was the point I was making. He would never dump her for any reason whatsoever, he is too obsessed with her to freely give her up... but, for a few weeks prior to the episode I described she was umming and ahhing about their relationship and the fact she doesn't want what he wants so much (she talked to Amy and Bernadette about breaking up a few times I think). And the point I mentioned seemed like a natural time for HER to break up with HIM for his own good, all so he could find someone that would truly appreciate him and wants everything he wants as she doesn't.
    Forum Member
    I agree with you that Leonard loves Penny, but Penny doesn't love him as much and that was the point I was making. He would never dump her for any reason whatsoever, he is too obsessed with her to freely give her up... but, for a few weeks prior to the episode I described she was umming and ahhing about their relationship and the fact she doesn't want what he wants so much (she talked to Amy and Bernadette about breaking up a few times I think). And the point I mentioned seemed like a natural time for HER to break up with HIM for his own good, all so he could find someone that would truly appreciate him and wants everything he wants as she doesn't.

I actually think Penny loves Leonard very much, but her insecurities and past relationships have made it difficult for her to be open and trusting. I don't think she trusts Leonard not to leave her for someone smarter and that's why she seems to be the one who is always ready for a break-up.