Hyped-up books you still thought were good

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    An up to date one - Gone Girl. Brilliant. Superb. And it actually was. Backed up by the fact that its the first "crime" book since the 1950's to be up for a mainstream award!
    KitKat21 wrote: »
    I have to admit, I'd been put off reading it because of all the hype but finished it yesterday and it was completely brilliant. Definitely stays in your mind for a while.

I was lucky in that I read it on holiday last June which was before all the hype. I would definitely say that it lives up to it but it was nice to read it without the pressure of expecting it to be brilliant (which it was!)

My vote would go to 'The Stand' by Stephen King. Absolutely fantastic book and worth all the hype.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Hmm. I've been avoiding that book so far. Perhaps I should give it a chance.

Definitely give Wolf Hall a chance. Even if you're not familiar with the history, it's beautifully written, and really draws you in.

I read Gone Girl after someone on DS recommended it, and I really enjoyed it. I HOPE Cloud Atlas lives up to the hype, I couldn't make head or tail of the film!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. After I read this I didn't want to read another book for several months. I just knew that nothing else would be as good.

The Song of Ice and Fire books by George R R Martin. You never know where the story is going next or who will survive the next chapter.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell by Susanna Clark. My first purchase from Audible. Many downloads later it's still my favourite.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. After I read this I didn't want to read another book for several months. I just knew that nothing else would be as good.

The Song of Ice and Fire books by George R R Martin. You never know where the story is going next or who will survive the next chapter.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell by Susanna Clark. My first purchase from Audible. Many downloads later it's still my favourite.

That's my next major project! I love series of books, I've gone through all of the Morse books and Andrea Camilleri's books on Inspector Montalbano - excellent light reading for the detective story fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    That's my next major project! I love series of books, I've gone through all of the Morse books and Andrea Camilleri's books on Inspector Montalbano - excellent light reading for the detective story fan.

I loved those :)

You might enjoy these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broken-Dreams-Geraghty-Series-ebook/dp/B003ZUY4MM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1363966892&sr=1-1

A note about Wolf Hall - I have had several attempts to read that and try as I might I just can't get into it. And yet, the subject matter interests me, and Hilary Mantel is a terrific writer so its not that. I'm really not sure why it doesnt "speak" to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Potter, absolutely love them although agree they needed more editing as they went on.

Memoirs of a Geisha, must have read it a dozen times or more.

Jane Eyre, never cared so much about a heroine.

His Dark Materials, I don't think the quality changed throughout the trilogy. I love them all.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Definitely give Wolf Hall a chance. Even if you're not familiar with the history, it's beautifully written, and really draws you in.

I love this book - best one I've read for a while! That narrative style that seems to irritate so many people, I find so involving - you feel as if you're in Cromwell's mind. Can't wait to read Bring Up the Bodies but am waiting til it's out in paperback.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    The Bonfire of the Vanities. It really was the great American novel people said it was. Spent weeks and weeks at the top of the NYT list. Film not so good though ! :D
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    My vote would go to 'The Stand' by Stephen King. Absolutely fantastic book and worth all the hype.

Me too. Love that book. Think I must have read it 5 or 6 times now. Still just as good each time