BBC breakfast news - dumbing down?

2»

Comments

• Presenter100Presenter100 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    Had the misfortune of watching their breakfast show today for the first time in several years. Is it me or has the move to Salford lead to a decline of standards of reports & guests etc.

I know they have the lead of ITV version (which isn't that hard)

The ratings show they have a hit... and maybe they are aiming the show at their largest demographic C2DE's

It's massive for them. The ABC1's are listening to Radio 4 by the looks of it.

If you're looking for a heavier breakfast offering, try Radio 4's "Today"
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    If you're looking for a heavier breakfast offering, try Radio 4's "Today"
    Or the BBC News Channel after 8:30am as I mentioned ;)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    London had a proper TV studio. Salford is a small converted office space - yes a purpose built building with nowhere ideal to host Breakfast. BBC Sport had the studio originally allocated for BBC North West News which would have been home to Breakfast aswell.
    BBC Breakfast does not really need a large studio though. And multi-use studios are a good use of expensive floorspace.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up until 8.30am they go military to the weather at 15 and 45 sharp and to the local news just after 25 and 55 each hour. Then after 8.30am they suddenly slacken off completely with the local news e.g. coming on several minutes after 9am and the weather on well after 8.45am.

Why can't they stick to the standard times the whole show?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Up until 8.30am they go military to the weather at 15 and 45 sharp and to the local news just after 25 and 55 each hour. Then after 8.30am they suddenly slacken off completely with the local news e.g. coming on several minutes after 9am and the weather on well after 8.45am

Presumably, by 8:30 those people who need to be up & out are. And for those people it is presumably useful to have a more rigid schedule (as they are likely to be able to catch only a small portion of the programme).

By 8:30 it is possible that most households become more relaxed, the programme would simply reflects this.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or anyone that wants serious news at 08:30 could watch the BBC NEWS CHANNEL which goes on air, They should really show BBC World News on BBC News Channel between 06:00 and 08:30 instead of Breakfast with UK news when BBC World goes to adverts
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    Up until 8.30am they go military to the weather at 15 and 45 sharp and to the local news just after 25 and 55 each hour.
    You will find that it's exactly the same on your local (and probably national) radio stations too in the breakfast shows.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I very rarely watch it any more, but I do catch bits and pieces of it every now and again.

To be honest, I think it has got better. Which is damning with faint praise.

At its worse it was Blue Peter like. A dumbed down Blue Peter at that. I remember two Declan Curry business stories. One where he was doing an story on the business of holidays. In the studio they had an indoor beach. Sand, some people sitting in bathing costumes, making sand castles and eating ice cream. At 7am in the morning! Just ridiculous.

The worse had to be the time he decided to clear up the mysterious business of the UK rebate from the EU. For some reason they decided to do it from someone's kitchen. The UK paid in £6billion and received a £3billion rebate. And how did Declan demonstrate this? He had a frying pan on the cooker, he put in 6 link sausages, the £6b fee, and then took out 3 link sausages, the £3b rebate, leaving 3 link sausages in the frying pan!!
    Forum Member
    Okay. And? Not sure what your point is other than perhaps someone being a little too literal in their interpretations.

It's TV. It needs pictures.
    Forum Member
    Okay. And? Not sure what your point is other than perhaps someone being a little too literal in their interpretations.

• DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A reply so pointless, he said it twice...
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, because people are so stupid they cannot deduct 3 from 6 without the need for sausages.

However, if it helps you understand!
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    A reply so pointless, he said it twice...
    And the point of your post was... to point out you're a hypocrite, I assume?
    pedrok wrote: »
    Yes, because people are so stupid they cannot deduct 3 from 6 without the need for sausages. However, if it helps you understand!
    Well I already agreed it was probably not the best idea. But if you feel like just having another go at me for no reason I don't suppose I can stop you.