New Pup and cats

pineapplecakepineapplecake Posts: 25
Forum Member
Hi,

I've just bought a Jack Russell puppy. I have three cats and he doesn't bother 2 of them but he chases the third and I'm worried about the cat. He isn't a particularly sociable cat as it is, comes in for treats and to sleep and thats about it. Is there anything I can do to help him? I don't want him running away but I think I'm over compensating and he probably keeps wondering why I keep going to the bedroom where he sleeps and trying to cuddle him! I'm probably doing this all wrong!

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I got my first dog a Jack Russel cross Lakeland terrier we already had 5 cats so it was a steep learning curve for us all. We found we had to stop him chasing the cats so a lot of no's and distractions for him and praise when he didn't chase. Two of the cats helped as they didn't tolerate any funny business and told him off firmly if he tried it on with them.

One thing we did discover was a long line kept on indoors could be helpful as we could quickly stamp on the lead if he went for them and to be fair to him he learned quite quickly what we would and would not like him to do.
  • pineapplecakepineapplecake Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice, being very firm with him which I hope will do the trick. Fingers crossed everyone will settle down and we can have a happy family (ish)!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it time I am sure it will be OK eventually they just need time to settle and you to put a few rules in place to keep everyone happy.