Chaz Bono

Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Okay, so as we have heard he is getting a backlash for going on the show.

So I just wanted to hear some of your opinions on the matter.

I personally think it is great if he wants to do it. Just that I feel the DWTS producers only want him there for ratings and are not bothered about the amount of criticism he is getting.

Comments

• BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only problem at this point is that yet again we have a contestant who is not a 'star' in their own right, but once the show gets started who cares?

I do suspect he might be voted off early simply because his size/shape will let him down and I'm not sure that Lacey is the best pro for him. The other celebs look in pretty good shape and I think Chaz's fitness and ability could let him down.

This is a pretty good group with no 'Cloris/Buz' type celeb and I think the competition will be tough.

If he is doing the show to raise awareness of transgenders, then it could back fire because I think he will go out early for reasons that are nothing to do with transgenders. But will people remember why he was sent home?

PS The celeb I'm 'worried' about is JR Martinez because I'm a bit concerned there could be a bit of rallying for votes in the name of national pride based on his army service.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only problem at this point is that yet again we have a contestant who is not a 'star' in their own right, but once the show gets started who cares?

I do suspect he might be voted off early simply because his size/shape will let him down and I'm not sure that Lacey is the best pro for him. The other celebs look in pretty good shape and I think Chaz's fitness and ability could let him down.

This is a pretty good group with no 'Cloris/Buz' type celeb and I think the competition will be tough.

If he is doing the show to raise awareness of transgenders, then it could back fire because I think he will go out early for reasons that are nothing to do with transgenders. But will people remember why he was sent home?

I think he is a certain IMO to stay the first elimination.

He in a way "Stands out" and is sure to pick up votes when peeps across America votes. I suspect we will have a shock first elimination.

I do think Chaz will make it like a Kate Gosselin. To week 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    I think he is a certain IMO to stay the first elimination.

He in a way "Stands out" and is sure to pick up votes when peeps across America votes. I suspect we will have a shock first elimination.

I do think Chaz will make it like a Kate Gosselin. To week 5.

I haven't heard him speak and how he comes across will make a big difference.
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually find it quite upsetting some of the things that I have seen posted about him these last few days on some sites. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Selena wrote: »
    I actually find it quite upsetting some of the things that I have seen posted about him these last few days on some sites. :(

I haven't read anything, but I can imagine.
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit late to this, as I only just heard tonight that he was going to be on the show. Here are my thoughts, that I've posted via my real name on Facebook on the 'Chaz Bono on 'Dancing with the Stars' controversy' article on DS, in case you fancy looking it up and commenting:

I love the USA for so many reasons, but this is sadly one of the equally many reasons to despair of that country. I'm so proud that, apart from a bit of pathetic tittering in the tabloid press, I'm pretty confident that the UK would never have such a ridiculously hate-fueled reaction if an F>M transgender person appeared on 'Strictly'. I'm not transgender; I don't even have any transgender friends; and yet it really makes me f*cking mad to watch a video of some US parent saying that she can't let her kids watch 'DWTS' this year because it's "confusing to children". Something is only ever confusing to children if you don't do your F*CKING JOB and explain it to them in a grown-up, sensitive manner. Children are so much more accepting than adults if they're just told something straight: 'Chaz is a man who was sadly born in the wrong female body, honey' ---- 'Oh, OK!'
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oxfordruse wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to this, as I only just heard tonight that he was going to be on the show. Here are my thoughts, that I've posted via my real name on Facebook on the 'Chaz Bono on 'Dancing with the Stars' controversy' article on DS, in case you fancy looking it up and commenting:

I love the USA for so many reasons, but this is sadly one of the equally many reasons to despair of that country. I'm so proud that, apart from a bit of pathetic tittering in the tabloid press, I'm pretty confident that the UK would never have such a ridiculously hate-fueled reaction if an F>M transgender person appeared on 'Strictly'. I'm not transgender; I don't even have any transgender friends; and yet it really makes me f*cking mad to watch a video of some US parent saying that she can't let her kids watch 'DWTS' this year because it's "confusing to children". Something is only ever confusing to children if you don't do your F*CKING JOB and explain it to them in a grown-up, sensitive manner. Children are so much more accepting than adults if they're just told something straight: 'Chaz is a man who was sadly born in the wrong female body, honey' ---- 'Oh, OK!'

Also, I've just watched a fair few videos on Youtube, Fox News (ugh) and MSNBC about the subject, and I feel compelled now to post the following addendum to my original reaction:

In fact, I'm even more mad now... because I just learned Nancy Grace is on the show. NANCY F*CKING GRACE?! She's fame-hungry, and she intrudes on the victims of crime... oh, and she's evil. She should surely be provoking more controversy? Ah well... I want Deputy Dewey... er, David Arquette.... to win anyway.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I knew a thread like this would appear about the USA. I certainly do respect your opinion and I'm not trying to take away anything you write, but in truth, the US is a very large country with a very diverse population. There are just as many diverse cultural groups including opinions and beliefs that are as foreign to me as someone is foreign to me from the Ukraine. You are not always going to find a cohesive opinion, even on a topic such as transgenderness.

I've read many message boards pertaining to topics I enjoy and I have overwhelmingly seen support and praise from a diverse range of people. Maybe that is indicative of the company I keep. But I do guarantee you you'll find a lot of support for Chaz and simply his right to be there. The US is a very vocal country where people do not always shy away from saying what they feel. And those opinions may differ from what you and I may feel. I doubt seriously you will find this subject 100% A-OK with citizens of other progressive countries. They just may not be as vocal (or large) as the US.

Anyway, my point being, don't paint the US with such a wide brush. I don't want to turn this into a what the US vs. UK folks think. You'll honestly find similar opinions in both countries. Either way. But you will always find an opinion different from yours wherever you go.

Let's just enjoy the show (I can't wait!)
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he is mentally prepared for any backlash.
  • Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member

While I agree with your feelings on the backlash I can't pretend that the UK is so great... I remember too well the reaction by many parents when Cerrie Burnell became a Cbeebies presenter (she was born with one arm ending just below the elbow).