Semi Final | Argentina v Holland | 9 July | ITV 9pm KO

Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think the last time these two teams met in the World Cup was in 1998. A quarter final which saw that stunning Bergkamp goal.

And of course this was the 1978 World Cup Final, which Argentina won.

Procure a grain of excitement from the match!

Comments

• alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A grain?
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holland will win with one goal difference. Argentina have a great defence, but they won't have 11 men in their own half like Costa Rica did, so I think there will be more opportunity for the Dutch to score.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M's right I think this match may suit Holland more than some of their recent encounters against Mexico and Costa Rica who put the onus on the Dutch to attack.

If Argentina come on to Holland repeatedly with Messi, Higiuan, Lavezzi etc I can see a lot of Dutch counters. If they stop Messi and play some of the counter attacking football we saw earlier in the tournament, I think they have a big chance of going through.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Xela M's right I think this match may suit Holland more than some of their recent encounters against Mexico and Costa Rica who put the onus on the Dutch to attack.

If Argentina come on to Holland repeatedly with Messi, Higiuan, Lavezzi etc I can see a lot of Dutch counters. If they stop Messi and play some of the counter attacking football we saw earlier in the tournament, I think they have a big chance of going through.

I don't think you understand. Argentina's name is engraved on that trophy.

I cannot envisage any other team lifting that trophy on Sunday than Argentina.

Sorry you don't feel the same way Thomas
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    I think this one will be very tense

The Dutch can play their tactic that worked on Spain, as Argentina will attack too.
    However if the Dutch let Messi slip for one second, we're done. We can't have a 0-1 behind as that's when Argentina's defense will go on lock (see Belgium) and the chance to tie it up slim down drastically
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If either of them actually show up this time, it might be a good game.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you understand. Argentina's name is engraved on that trophy.

I cannot envisage any other team lifting that trophy on Sunday than Argentina.

Sorry you don't feel the same way Thomas

:p

I still think Argentina will win, I'm just trying to be optimistic for the Dutch.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I wonder what the likelihood of the game being called of, held in a closed stadium or postponed in the event of a Brazilian exit the previous night. Must be higher at least than if it was Belgium vs the Netherlands for example. An argentine game would bring out more rioters and protestors I think judging by how fierce the rivalry is( I didn't realise there were rivalries until the start of this world cup.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I wonder what the likelihood of the game being called of, held in a closed stadium or postponed in the event of a Brazilian exit the previous night. Must be higher at least than if it was Belgium vs the Netherlands for example. An argentine game would bring out more rioters and protestors I think judging by how fierce the rivalry is( I didn't realise there were rivalries until the start of this world cup.

You didn't realise there was a rivalry between Argentina and Brazil?
  • The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm calling Argentina to win this. They'll have the legs on Holland who must be wrecked after a gruelling two hour affair in Salvadaor. Also Holland imo have already peaked at this tournament while the Argies are just hitting form.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »

What?
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    argentina(messi,lavezzi) 2- 1 holland(rvp)
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both teams love to attack, which should be good to watch for the neutral. With Robben, Van Persie & Messi playing, It should be an attacking game.

0-0 then:D

I can see both teams scoring goals, so I think a 3-2 to Argentina.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,283
    Forum Member
    Argentina 1-0 seems to be the vogue score ATM..
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as Robben doesn't dive all game Argies have a chance
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    De Jong might be fit to play and will keep a close eye on Messi if he is.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    As long as Robben doesn't dive all game Argies have a chance

After Maradonna's performance a few years ago, I bet there are one or two Englishmen who won't mind if Robben dives around a bit?
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be the toughest game yet for the Dutch because Argentina are very strong despite their low key success for far. They completely stifled Belgium's game in the quarter final and Messi has played exceptionally well even if he didn't score.

I think both teams are stronger than Germany or Brazil, so whoever wins this semi-final will win the title. This might just be the year Holland win their first World Cup.
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    I am rooting for a Dutch victory, but this will be have to be hard earned, Argentina are no push overs. I think Germany's crushing defeat of Brazil last night might give Holland the extra edge they will need. The prospect of defeating an over-confident Germany in the final of a world cup is one to which no Dutch side could fail to respond. Argentina beware! Holland to win 3-2 in extra time.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    just hoping that a dive doesn't settle the game.
    I'd like Argentina to win, as want Messi to do well in a World Cup. For me, the key is someone like Lavezzi, who started well, but has faded. Messi will be so tightly marked and with di Maria out and Aguero dodgy, not sure who will be able to take advantage of the space created for other Argentina players. Lavezzi could. Great shame about di Maria.
    RvP may be injured which actually may not be such a bad thing as he's been average in the last 2 games. Huntelaar then?
    don't think there's much in it. A key moment, luck or ref's decision could settle it.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Hard one to call this. Argentina are defensively sound. Just three conceded. They don't score many though. The Dutch are a solid outfit. A lot depends on Robben and will he be crowded out by the Argies? Likewise with Messi. Would be a big mistake playing van Persie if he's not fully fit only to haul him off after 20 minutes. Expecting a dour game with a couple of goals at best in the 90 minutes but can see it going to 0-0 then E/T.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Argentina win.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Argentina win.

Hope Holland win.

:D
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Hard one to call this. Argentina are defensively sound. Just three conceded. They don't score many though. The Dutch are a solid outfit. A lot depends on Robben and will he be crowded out by the Argies? Likewise with Messi. Would be a big mistake playing van Persie if he's not fully fit only to haul him off after 20 minutes. Expecting a dour game with a couple of goals at best in the 90 minutes but can see it going to 0-0 then E/T.

I can see this game going to penalties but then again the Dutch might surprise us this year and let's hope whoever is up against Germany beats them
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents, 81 and 86, are like two excited kids desperate for Christmas. I'm at their place and Dad is "Only 5/4/3 hours to go now..." in his all day countdown.
    My mum: "I hope the Dutch annihilate Argentina!" :D:o
    I might need to call an ambulance if Messi scores a hat trick.