New Companion - Has she/he appeared before

2»

Comments

• POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member
    Most definitely, and especially the highlight line! This is exactly what I want to see too. I couldn't get on with Amy or Clara but I did love Rose and Donna. The latter two were personable and accessible and I liked the working class element. I found Clara and Amy a bit too dominant and unfazed by it all. The companion acts as the eyes of the viewer but Clara especially was written so nonchalant about the whole thing. I enjoyed the shock, amazement, fear, excitement ect...portrayed by Rose and Donna, but Clara and Amy became the 'boss' of the Doctor and I hated that. Plus their attitudes/the way they were written annoyed me in general. Admittedly Amy was toned down nearer her exit and I much preferred her then. I hope Moffat gets it right this time.

Clara and Amy both showed shock and amazement at the start, but it would be ridiculous if after several years of travelling with him (and remember that the characters have been with the Doctor for a lot longer than their TV time) they were the same.

I've enjoyed all the Companions, Clara is my favourite though as I find her more relatable to ME, i.e. her outlook on life is most similar to mine. I'm not saying she's better, as it's entirely down to opinions and totally subjective.

I'm sure the next one will be completely different, and the opposite to Clara. After an incredibly intense Doctor/Companion partnership, I'm sure the next one will be much looser, and the next Companion more Rose/Donna ish
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think Rose's early adventures brilliantly capture the wonder of travelling with the Doctor for an ordinary human.

I loved that the overwhelming experience of meeting all the alien races in "The End of the World" sent her rushing to an empty room, simply to get her breath back.

And then that gorgeous scene at the beginning of "The Unquiet Dead" when she steps slowly from the TARDIS onto a layer of snow that fell more than a century before she was even born.

It was the same with Martha and Donna. The sheer wonder and excitement, and the feeling they all felt it was a privilege to be have been given the opportunity to travel.

For me, with both Amy and Clara (and I accept some may feel this is unfair) there was more of a sense of entitlement. And I didn't feel the sense of wonder quite so much.

Perhaps its felt it would get a bit boring if every companion went through an extended "ooh wow" phase at the beginning. But it does make them seem more real and grounded, and I think for a companion that's essential.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    For me, with both Amy and Clara (and I accept some may feel this is unfair) there was more of a sense of entitlement. And I didn't feel the sense of wonder quite so much.

Perhaps its felt it would get a bit boring if every companion went through an extended "ooh wow" phase at the beginning. But it does make them seem more real and grounded, and I think for a companion that's essential.

On the other hand, Amy's reaction was grounded in a different way - she started out cynical and disbelieving, both of the Doctor's offer and why he should choose her. And she was probably right to be, in the end. I think it's okay for 'being overwhelmed' to not be in a companion's vocabulary, it would be boring if everyone reacted the same way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    POTD wrote: »
    Clara and Amy both showed shock and amazement at the start, but it would be ridiculous if after several years of travelling with him (and remember that the characters have been with the Doctor for a lot longer than their TV time) they were the same.

Fair enough, that is a good point. Perhaps it is what others have raised and it was their sense of entitlement, particularly Clara.
    Forum Member
    I think Rose's early adventures brilliantly capture the wonder of travelling with the Doctor for an ordinary human.

I loved that the overwhelming experience of meeting all the alien races in "The End of the World" sent her rushing to an empty room, simply to get her breath back.

And then that gorgeous scene at the beginning of "The Unquiet Dead" when she steps slowly from the TARDIS onto a layer of snow that fell more than a century before she was even born.

It was the same with Martha and Donna. The sheer wonder and excitement, and the feeling they all felt it was a privilege to be have been given the opportunity to travel.

Basically articulated my thoughts down to a tee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A young Gallifreyan that the Doctor takes under his wing to stop him/her being brought up in the stuffy traditions of Time Lord society and to try to bring a bit of positivity back to Gallifrey, in the hopes that they may be re-accepted by the universe.

Y'know I quite like the sound of that idea!! Like an apprentice of sorts....
  • UnicyclatrixUnicyclatrix Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I thought victorian Clara was going to be a rather fabulous companion... and they killed her off immediately for yet another one from London in the early 21st Century.
    Well worth considering a companion from a different time and place.
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, that is a good point. Perhaps it is what others have raised and it was their sense of entitlement, particularly Clara.

Clara has stayed for much longer than any of the RTD companions. Imagine Rose or Donna after several years with the Doctor. The Rose we saw by the end of S2 had already changed, Mickey had changed even more!
    Forum Member
    Clara has stayed for much longer than any of the RTD companions. Imagine Rose or Donna after several years with the Doctor. The Rose we saw by the end of S2 had already changed, Mickey had changed even more!

I don't know what it was but I just found Clara and her attitude throughout irritating, not just towards the end.

Ideally I would vote for Helena Bonham Carter as the next companion. Would never happen but it would be AMAzing.:D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

Clara should've left at the end of Series 8 to be honest.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I don't know what it was but I just found Clara and her attitude throughout irritating, not just towards the end.

Ideally I would vote for Helena Bonham Carter as the next companion. Would never happen but it would be AMAzing.:D

She'd make an excellent female Doctor (or future Missy for that matter).
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Clara should've left at the end of Series 8 to be honest.

I'm very glad she stayed!

Either way, RTD to me changed Companions too regularly, so (with Chris leaving) we ended up with 4 different Doctor/Companion combinations for his 4 series, and then the Doctor alone for his Specials. There's plenty you can do with the same pairing once you've had a series to work out the chemistry.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind an older retired woman for a change but as long as they don't go down the Hollywood cute kid road I'm not to fussed
  • BoneBone Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    My husband told me this morning that Rose Leslie is DEFINITELY going to be the next companion. I have no idea why he thinks that.

Well he knows nothing. :p

I'll get my coat
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not Matt Lucas then?
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Is it not Matt Lucas then?

No, but, yeah, but, not, yeah, no, but, yeah, no, but...
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda hoping they'll break out the big guns and get a well known established actor in the role to get audiences really excited. I know it isn't likely but Gillian Anderson is my dream at the moment, I can see the two together in my head and it's magical but I fear people would get mardy about the show having an ageing cast.

Another famous would be Gemma Arterton because she seems genuinely lovely, and I think she's a decent actor.

I'd be happy if Rose Leslie did get it though.
  • Slayer2012Slayer2012 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    Kinda hoping they'll break out the big guns and get a well known established actor in the role to get audiences really excited. I know it isn't likely but Gillian Anderson is my dream at the moment, I can see the two together in my head and it's magical but I fear people would get mardy about the show having an ageing cast.

Another famous would be Gemma Arterton because she seems genuinely lovely, and I think she's a decent actor.

I'd be happy if Rose Leslie did get it though.

I'd love it if they could get Gemma Arterton, but the chances of that happening are a big fat zero. Most likely it'll be another ex-soap actress, since the more established actresses would have to commit to 9 months filming in Cardiff, possibly more if they stay as long as Karen or Jenna.
  • WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More actresses I'd like to see as companion.

Gwyneth Keyworth
    Rosamund Hanson
    Naomi Battrick
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Although, Natalie Gumede would be brilliant!

Oh, not her! :o Cannot stand her. I didn't even like her in Coronation Street, when she abused Tyrone, and slapped Julie Carp in the face.

Glad she's not in it now. :D

Would want River Song to be a long-term companion, but as Alex has said recently, it's not going to happen any time soon. :(
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    Well Ashildr is still possible, although I doubt that would go down well here.

Rigsy is another possibility and I suppose would change the dynamic in the Tardis (as has been mentioned I believe) compared with the previous female companions. I haven't forgotten Rory but obviously Amy was the main companion at that time.

How about Reece Shersamith's character from Sleep No More given that episodes universal love? :o

One rumour was the girl from Last Christmas. http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/19/is-the-white-queen-star-faye-marsay-set-to-replace-jenna-coleman-as-doctor-who-companion-5449548/

Santa would certainly be a bold move. That is my preferred choice. :confused::D

Faye Marsay...thats the one. Full of life and challenge. Great dynamic of her own too.
    Thanks for the link. She would be so much more than a sidekick. She is a charismatic actress in her own right, and one to watch.

With her in place Moffat could do amazing things with scripts, really change the formula with two imposing figures. She's got real soul in her acting.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Ashildr is definitely not a possibility.

Shona could be if they want to go with a working class companion and the character was well received in Last Christmas.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    She'd make an excellent female Doctor (or future Missy for that matter).

Or a new Rani
  • WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May sound a wacky choice but I'd like to see Melanie Walters as the Rani.