Options

James Arthur - Impossible (Winners Single)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must be joking, he has got heart and passion in his voice. Weather he can reach certain tones or not is beside the point, what he has got is GOOOOOOD...

No offence, but unless you got your words muddled, you may not know what you're on about...
  • Options
    Kitty-Kat_MEOW.Kitty-Kat_MEOW. Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    No offence, but unless you got your words muddled, you may not know what you're on about...

What do you mean, i got words muddled up? Should i replace heart with emotion?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the original and I love his interpretation. It's one of the few winners singles where lyrically the song is relevent to what he went and has been through.

This may be my favourite winners single since Alex Burke's.

He's had a rough love life? Didn't know
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean, i got words muddled up? Should i replace heart with emotion?

No. You said "tones", when "notes" was required. You don't 'reach' tones because tones are fairly accessible to anyone with a basic understanding of semantics, and aren't usually something required when singing as different tones would need different intonation, which would ruin the melody.

Tl;dr: You used the wrong word.
  • Options
    Zeus555Zeus555 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    I really hope this crap cover is not number one for xmas. Come on public. wake up and stop buying covers, make them record a new song like they did for shayne ward.

'Impossible' won't be the dreary cover, at No.1 for Christmas.
    The Christmas No.1 will almost certainly be The Justice
    Collective's cover of the 1969 Hollies Hit, 'He Ain't Heavy,
    He's My Brother'. It is a Charity Single, for the families of
    the Hillsborough victims. The Hollies took it to No.3 in 1969,
    & No.1 in 1988, & now it will be No.1 again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h8loYnNlZA&feature=player_embedded#!

That will make 3 covers in a row, at No.1 - 'The Power Of
    Love', 'Impossible', & 'He Ain't Heavy.....'. With the 1st &
    3rd of the Songs also being used in current TV adverts.

What a creative time we live in for music! (LOL!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kanzi wrote: »
    No. You said "tones", when "notes" was required. You don't 'reach' tones because tones are fairly accessible to anyone with a basic understanding of semantics, and aren't usually something required when singing as different tones would need different intonation, which would ruin the melody.

Tl;dr: You used the wrong word.

I do apologise. I can't play a musical instument, i can't sing. But i know when someone else can. Music is something to feel not something to be decoding into notes or tones to me.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think this is an excellent cover by an excellent artist. I've never bought any material from an X Factor contestant before, but I'll definitely be buying James' album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Very good song from James, I also love the original! James is going to go far in the music business
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear they must have a set selection they've been recycling every year. Cher Lloyd's unreleased winner's single was also 'Impossible.' Not a coincidence, I'm sure.
  • Options
    benjiman_LFCbenjiman_LFC Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like it, boring song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was horrendous when he was singing it live but listening to the studio version it is actually a good cover still prefer the original one though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was I the only one hoping for an original winners single this year...??
    Fair enough "Impossible" wasnt the biggest hit fot Shontelle but it was still her track.
    I sometimes think SYCO assume we're all stupid & think that Impossible is an original song.. just like "Cannonball" & "When We Collide" (NAMECHANGE didn't fool me back then SYCO).
    They have a whole yearto get original material "Thats My Goal" was a hit .. as was "Sound Of The Underground" from popstars the Rivals!

ORIGINAL TRACKS WORK BETTER!!!!!

James did a decent version of the track but would "Impossible" really be on a James Arthur album? Prob not!!
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you can go and win a singing comp and have a single go to number 1 on pre orders alone and stay at number one come back and might take you the least bit serious

Considering that James was able to win by groaning and mumbling his way through every week, I think we might all stand a good chance of winning The X Factor 2013 and doing so! :p

To say something positive, I'm relieved that James didn't add one of his awful raps to the song! I was listening to his first performance of it on the show, dreading what I thought was the inevitable "Uh! Yeah!...".
  • Options
    ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    It's crap imho. He won a karaoke competition, big deal! He's going to go as far in the music business as Steve Brookstein or Rick Waller.
  • Options
    sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    james on 187K already after 1 day of downloads

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news....ales-ever-1753/

James Arthur has scored the most explosive start of any X Factor winner in history with his debut single Impossible, according to the Official Charts Company’s sales data released this morning.

Impossible, which went on sale on Sunday evening immediately after James Arthur was unveiled as the 2012 X Factor winner, had sold 187,000 copies by midnight last night according to Official Charts Company’s sales data. Arthur’s extraordinary performance already puts him on course for a storming full week, which will be bolstered further by the single’s CD release tomorrow (Wednesday, December 12).

No previous X Factor finalists’ debut single has hit such heights so quickly. In 2008, Alexandra Burke’s Hallelujah had sold 147,000 copies by the end of Monday, while Matt Cardle’s When We Collide in 2010 had sold 112,000 and Leona Lewis’ A Moment Like This in 2006 had sold 101,000 during their first two days on sale. Last year’s winners, Little Mix’s Cannonball had sold 69,000 at this stage of its opening week.

Comparisons with Shayne Ward’s all-time fastest selling X Factor winner’s single, 2005’s That’s My Goal, are difficult because it was issued in the early days of digital. The single had sold only 46,000 copies on download by Monday midnight, but exploded when the CD was released on Wednesday – it sold 289,000 copies on that day alone, on its way to a record X Factor opening week total of 742,000.

Official Charts Company Managing Director Martin Talbot says, “There has been a lot said about X Factor’s popularity this year and questions have been raised that perhaps its momentum is beginning to wane. But this amazing opening performance by James Arthur suggests that it remains the pre-eminent launch pad for new artists. Whether Arthur will match Shayne Ward’s 2005 total, only time will tell – but he has a fantastic chance.”

The other previous biggest opening week totals are Alexandra Burke’s Hallelujah (576,000), Leona Lewis’ A Moment Like This (571,000) and Joe McElderry’s The Climb (451,000).
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the same dire quality as all the other singles shat out by the X Factor over the years.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so bad! :(
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised that it wasn't written by Emeli Sande - it has IMO such a similar boring limited range of notes.

James will, I expect, turn his back on the viewers who voted for him doing covers and his first album will be his own songs. This will sell well, only because of him being an XF winner.

His next album will not sell and he will be singing with Matt Cardle in future...
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ack1990 wrote: »
    It's crap imho. He won a karaoke competition, big deal! He's going to go as far in the music business as Steve Brookstein or Rick Waller.

What happened to both of them?
  • Options
    madmark20madmark20 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    He sounds like a wild animal caged up
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it, hes another matt cardle in the making. Big buzz now. another little one when his album comes out, then people lose interest and he flops and forgotten about. The path is already written. So just lose the interest now and save your cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marc822 wrote: »
    Lets face it, hes another matt cardle in the making. Big buzz now. another little one when his album comes out, then people lose interest and he flops and forgotten about. The path is already written. So just lose the interest now and save your cash.

Even if that were the case and he only bought out one good albumn. So What? At least he will have done it, made his cash and then able to live a normal life without being hounded. That might be the best way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: I thought this was the Music forum!
  • Options
    madmark20madmark20 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    he sounds like hes in pain when he sets of with the high tempo notes its very very bad for the ears. .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prefare Shontelle's version and I think it's disgusting his fans are tweeting hate to her about her song.