Beautiful England

2»

Comments

• RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, would you have said anything if she had posted about "beautiful Scotland"? I'm not having a go either, but I notice this a lot and I do find it interesting. I even had a fellow American try to pull me up on it when I told him I lived in England-- it was as though I was using a four letter word. :confused:

To be honest I probably wouldn't have posted but I would still be thinking it. I'd imagine if someone else had said "Beautiful Scotland" it would end up being a rather obscure thread and wouldn't involve a large majority of the forum.

I just don't like feeling seperate from my English, Irish and Welsh counterparts :)
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »
    To be honest I probably wouldn't have posted but I would still be thinking it. I'd imagine if someone else had said "Beautiful Scotland" it would end up being a rather obscure thread and wouldn't involve a large majority of the forum.

I just don't like feeling seperate from my English, Irish and Welsh counterparts :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=190760&highlight=scotland+pamelal

:)
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Pamela, you are a hopeless optimist. Only you could look outside, see that it is foggy and cold enough to freeze brass gorillas, let alone monkeys, and declare this "beautiful".
    When I look out of my window and see azure seas, palm trees and scantily-clad bronzed godesses, I will declare it beautiful. Alas those occasions are few and far between in north Bristol.

I must be even worse than Pamela then, because I think England is beautiful all the time.

I can't even bear being away from England for too long, I just start pining and sulking. Don't give a stuff about hot countries and palm beaches and all that.

I really, really love this place. (Not a very popular opinion nowadays, I do realise!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, would you have said anything if she had posted about "beautiful Scotland"? I'm not having a go either, but I notice this a lot and I do find it interesting. I even had a fellow American try to pull me up on it when I told him I lived in England-- it was as though I was using a four letter word. :confused:

It's simply because the biggest and most influential... things... get it in the neck if they are singled out.

That's why London gets so much stick when it is singled out.

If the thread said "Beautiful Wales" or "Beautiful Scotland" such comments would not have been made.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I did say 'very little' rather than 'nothing'
    But still, I don't think that's ugly really - not compared to the average scrapyard, landfill site, or industrial estate.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »

:D I'm happy to see you had such a nice time here. I've been to England many occasions too, recently to London, and despite people saying its rude etc I actually saw many acts of kindness e.g. young guy asking an older lady if she wanted his seat on the tube.

On a smaller note I think some are taking my first post on this thread a little out of context...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be even worse than Pamela then, because I think England is beautiful all the time.

I can't even bear being away from England for too long, I just start pining and sulking. Don't give a stuff about hot countries and palm beaches and all that.

I really, really love this place. (Not a very popular opinion nowadays, I do realise!)

I'm rather the same. I realise all countries have their own scenic beauty but Britain is just right for me. I couldn't stand to live in a country where every morning you were virtually sure of blue sky and hot sun.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »
    :D I'm happy to see you had such a nice time here. I've been to England many occasions too, recently to London, and despite people saying its rude etc I actually saw many acts of kindness e.g. young guy asking an older lady if she wanted his seat on the tube.

On a smaller note I think some are taking my first post on this thread a little out of context...

I've been back about four times since then as well. My favourite holiday was two weeks on the Isle of Skye, what a place...bloody beautiful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The snow's been a prize pain in the t*ts where I am in Scotland, but it is beautiful.

My bit

My bit again
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm with you on this. I think that there are lots of beautiful parts, my favourite times are out of season - a Cornish clifftop on a bleak, cold February day is perfect to me. Isles of Scilly in the early Spring, the Fens in January dusk when the skies are huge...... the list is endless.

I love going away but coming home is great too.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The snow's been a prize pain in the t*ts where I am in Scotland, but it is beautiful.

My bit

My bit again
    What lovely photographs:)
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My bit

My bit again

Lovely photos but do keep the snow :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member

My bit

My bit again

Aww so pretty! :D Love the snow, not so keen on the whole trying to walk on the ice/slush without falling business :p, but the place looks gorgeous and it feels so Christmas-sy :D

Great photies! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    This is how much of an optimist I am, I want my husband to take me to Bristol in January for a romantic weekend for our wedding anniversary. I've never been and I'd love to see it. :D

Probably the greatest city on the face of the earth :) Might be biased though.

Wouldn't exactly call Bristol romantic though. If you're lucky your fella might take you for a kebab, then a warm can of stella on college green :p