Options

Favourite Dolly Parton Songs

James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
Forum Member
With the imminent release of Dolly Parton's Blue Smoke, (the title track is already available and well worth a listen!) and with notifications on Dolly's facebook page with a US competition for a spotify playlist of top 10 Dolly Parton songs I've decided to make my own. What are other people's favourites?

Dolly is one of my favourite artists I love the range of emotions she has and it makes her uplifting and inspirational songs believable.

My top 10:

10. I Just Might (from Better Day) a vulnerable song full of doubt even as it inspires, a very subtle and nuanced song.

9. My Tennessee Mountain Home - those opening lines 'Sittin' on the front porch on a summer afternoon' takes me back to my childhood summers at my grandparents' house.

8. Jolene - probably her biggest hit and don't really have much too say, except it's a hell of a song!

7. Two Doors Down - the essence of Dolly in this song 'I can't sit in the lonely room alone and cry forever' she still feels pain, but she's not going to let that define her.

6. Backwoods Barbie - In this song she answers back at anyone who won't take her seriously, defending herself against misogynists and feminists alike!

5. Imagine - I know this may be sacrilegious but I prefer this to the original, the production and Dolly's chipper final delivery takes the song from plodding misery as she strips away all the things that keep humans apart (countries, religion, something to kill or die for) and then ends on a celebration and invitation to 'come join us.'

4. Starting Over Again - A divorce song and about someone 'facing 50 years old' and so when I get older Dolly will still be relevant to me!

3. Here You Come Again - Such a heartfelt tune, about love and heartache, I always get reminded of Blanche Hunt from Coronation Street and lots of happy family memories when I hear this song.

2. Better Get to Living - Establishing the Dolly spirit and the first Dolly album I bought at the time it was released. Again she admits that there is pain and sorrow, but in song she demonstrates the healing process and that we can all 'get back to living' if we try.

1. I Will Always Love You - Truly heartfelt and she connects with the lyrics. I saw the Whitney version on a list of wedding songs, and that really angers me! With Dolly's performance there can be no mistake that this song really should not be played at a wedding!

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I'd give reasons for my choices.

Comments

• Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Not in order as I couldn't..........

Light of a clear Blue Morning

Hard Candy Christmas

Eagle when she flies

Potential new boyfriend

Then the rest:D
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I only know 9 to 5 and the original version of I Will Always Love You.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Little Sparrow is excellent!
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Thanks James Barker! Spent the evening listening to Dolly Parton on spotify after reading your post! She truly is a talented artist. That whole Backwoods Barbie album is great! Love her version of the Fine Young Cannibals "Drive Me Crazy"
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jolene, it makes me want to cry, as I think of the girl that took my ex away from me years ago.
  • Options
    breakofdawnbreakofdawn Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I love Dolly Parton so it is difficult to just pick a few songs! I will try and keep it to 10 though.

10. Old Flames
    9. I Will Always Love You (far, far, FAR superior to Whitney's cover imo)
    8. Dumb Blonde
    7. Barbara On Your Mind (this song used to make me cry!)
    6. Love Is Like A Butterfly
    5. Down From Dover
    4. Just Because I'm A Woman
    3. Coat of Many Colours
    2. Elusive Butterfly
    1. Here You Come Again: reminds me of my first love :) It's 100% accurate in my case, and if I was to see him again I know all those feelings would come rushing back though I'm in totally different circumstances now. I know this isn't about the music lol, so I should also add that I do love that side of things too but felt I should explain why the song is my favourite out of all the ones I could pick :)
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the track she did recently with Kenny Rogers, You Cant Make Old Friends.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cologne
    "You ask me not to wear cologne,
    She'll know you've been with me alone.
    And you can't take our secret home
    So you ask me not to wear cologne."

Mountain Angel
    Marry Me
    Little Sparrow
    Shinola
  • Options
    TheBigBoyTheBigBoy Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Better Get To Livin

Get Out And Stay Out

Backwoods Barbie

Shine

9 to 5

I Remember

Traveling Man

Love Is Like A Butterfly

Jolene

I Will Always Love You

Save The Last Dance For Me

Rockin' Years

Tie Our Love (In A Double Knot)

Sweet Summer Lovin'

Help

More Where That Came From

Lovesick Blues

Potential New Boyfriend

Sing For The Common Man

Poor Folks Town

These are just some of the Dolly Parton songs I like, too many to mention.

I can't wait for the new album
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I have to add that one of my faves as no-one else has said it is Appalachian memories / smoky mountain memories.

I love her dueting with Kenny Rogers too (though not a big fan of Islands in the stream), If I am depressed I always put on the Real Love dvd and have a sing cheers me up

Also have a soft spot for her duet with Smokey Robinson I know you by heart

Perhaps I just have a soft spot for Dolly she is one of the only famous people I would ever be interested in meeting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better Get to Livin', 9 to 5 and Coat of Many Colours are my favourites.

I love her style, and she is such an inspiration to Country females everywhere :)
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and Little Andy :cry: