Options

Advice on buying a new Desktop PC

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
Come mid November my HP Desktop windows 7 PC will be 4 years old.
It still works 97%/98% fine.
I will be looking for a new Desktop PC to replace it and giving the one I using the now to my sister as it should hopefully have another year or so life left in it.
I been told my two people to avoid Accer.
I would like a desktop PC that still has a CD/DVD drive if I could. As I see some desktop PCs now longer come with this.
I would also like to have more then 4 USB ports. The HP desktop PC I have the now has 7 USB ports and has a 650GB hard drive and 2GB ram.
I manly use the desktop PC for browsing in web. Emails, Listening to my music,. Watching Youtube and now and again downloading music and typing a letter.
I have also in the past made up music CDs or download an music album so my sister can listen to it in her car.
I don't want to be spending over £600 on a PC as would also be thinking about taking out a 3 year warranty to cover for any minor problems.

Darren

Comments

• Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at the Overclockers website. I have bought quite a few machines from them over the years. They have never let me down yet:

This seems a fair PC for under £300.00. Plenty more on the site too.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-378-OK&groupid=43&catid=2476

Or this one for £5000.00 :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-449-OE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the links. I will have a look.
    I did take a sort of look on the Currys website the other week.

Darren
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always been very happy with whichever Medion PC has been sold by Aldi. It seems that Aldi has stopped selling them now, but I'm inclined to seek one out when the time comes. I think it might be Sansbury that sells them now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will have a look around and see what there is. I got a month or two before I would be buying a new desktop PC.

Darren
  • Options
    100andthirty100andthirty Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I suggest you look at John Lewis; all their PCs have a 2 year guarantee.

Do you still want Windows 7? If so, Novatech sell their own brand PCs with Windows 7 installed and with Microsoft Office if you want it. Allow for the cost of a monitor and you'd get a decent PC for your budget.

I built my last PC in 2011 from parts sourced from Novatech and it's been absolutely trouble free.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally i'd up the ram to maximum so probably 8gb and reinstall windows to freshen it up, total cost probably 30 quid for the ram and a few hours backing up data then reinstalling the OS and finally putting back the data, factor in an extra 50-70 quid for an external drive to hold a backup of your data and job done

personally i'd save the money so when the machine does die you can buy the 4-500 quid's worth of whats available at the time so it'll be of a better spec and as for warranties theres not much point but if its a freebie then thats fine but i normally find they have so many escape clauses that its worthless especially if its software related
  • Options
    100andthirty100andthirty Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Very wise suggestions from Maxatoria unless your Windows 7 PC is a 32 bit installation and you don't have a 64 bit Windows 7 disc. 32 bit Windows can't see more than 3GB of RAM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The windows 7 im using the now is a 64bit one. Desktop PC never came with a windows 7 CD when I bought it out of Currys
    I not sure if I would go for windows 7 or just upgrade to windows 8.1 when I get a new desktop PC.

Darren
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely anything would be fine for your use. A laptop would be fine as well.

If the monitor is going to the sister as well then maybe consider a bigger monitor, 24" say.

As for DVD/CD burning, you can get external ones for about £20
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SE-208DB-TSBS-Portable-External/dp/B008X0TX0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411488647&sr=8-1&keywords=external+dvd+burner
  • Options
    gsj06gsj06 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I bought a Zoostorm desktop a few months ago 1 Tb hard drive, 8 Gb ram good graphics card, plenty on usb (8) works super cost £425 quad core 3.0Ghz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium I never gave it a thought but the monitor would be going to my sister as well. So yes I will need a new monitor as well.
    I do have a 5 year old windows 7 32bit Compaq laptop that I now only use now and again since I got the Nexus 7 tablet about 2 years ago.
    The speakers im using the now are from my last desktop PC that was a Dell. As the HP desktop im using the now never came with speakers.
    Im going to have a good look round but I do want a new desktop PC before Christmas and for under £600

Darren
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    build your own. At least then you have control over what goes into it.

If its just for general purpose computing, you can put together for less than £300
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    build your own. At least then you have control over what goes into it.

If its just for general purpose computing, you can put together for less than £300

I could I guess build my own but would be easier to just buy one.
    Yes I guess the desktop PC would just be for general use as you call it as I don't really use it for gamming.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I could I guess build my own but would be easier to just buy one.
    Yes I guess the desktop PC would just be for general use as you call it as I don't really use it for gamming.

Darren

You'll learn more if you put it together yourself and as I mentioned you'll be able to cherry pick the components rather than relying on somebody who is going to put together the cheapest PC possible.

How much do you want to spend ?

Does that include new monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    You'll learn more if you put it together yourself and as I mentioned you'll be able to cherry pick the components rather than relying on somebody who is going to put together the cheapest PC possible.

How much do you want to spend ?

Does that include new monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers ?

I would not need a new Keyboard or mouse but would need a new monitor and may be speakers. Anything under £600 im willing to pay.

Darren
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doing photo editing or anything that requires acurate colour matching? if so then its probably going to require a good quality screen and thats when it can get fun but IPS panels have come down a lot in the recent years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I would not need a new Keyboard or mouse but would need a new monitor and may be speakers. Anything under £600 im willing to pay.

Darren

Depending on size of screen, £120 should get you a decent quality 24" screen, £30 for 2+1 speakers leaving around £450 for the computer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/616192-lg-24mp55hq-p-24-led-full-hd-ips-hdmi-monitor-24mp55hq-p
  • Options
    Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but if you were to buy a PC from Overclockers will they give you a drivers disk?