Options

Why don't my chips taste as good as oven chips?

2»

Comments

• Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    You're either trolling or being deliberately awkward to get attention. Either way, no thanks.

No thanks? Didn't offer you anything.

But no, neither of the above. I just have a hate for made up nonsense. It's a variation of the naturalistic fallacy (everything natural is good ergo everything "processed" is bad). None of it means anything. There is no definition of when natural becomes processed.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    If your going to the effort of making your own chips then may as well deep fry them. You will never get great tasting chips by oven cooking.

Par boil. Allow to dry. Deep fry on low as possible for about 8mins. Allow to cool. Deep fry on high until golden. Perfection.

I don't own a deep fat fryer any more or a chip pan so its a little difficult to deep fry
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eva_prior wrote: »

Btw. I used to only use Mccains oven chips

I had them once. The big ones vanished from the cooking tray, mysteriously ending up with my tortillas, chillis, nachos & guacamole dip. Of the small ones, one vanished soon after.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    best tasting oven chips IMO are AUNTY BESSIE then MCanes.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All factory produced chips, whether they are Oven Chips or Frying Chips will have a coating on them.

Also if you look on the allergen declaration you will see that in a great many cases that this is wheatflour and the product will state that it contains gluten. McCain's chips are usually unsuitable for those with gluten intolerance. Many own brands are produced by Lamb & Weston who use potato starch on some of their products so they are gluten free.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Gordon Ramsay has a good recipe with a few minor admendments of my own:

Parboil cut potatoes for 3 mins. Drain them and leave them to steam for a couple of minutes in the colander before patting dry.

Place on oven tray sprinkle oil over the top and season. I like to add a few twists of my garlic & chilli flake grinder. Cook on 250/230 fan for 15 - 20 minutes turning a couple of times.

I think it might be the slower cooking time which might alter the taste.